• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Sin?

Sonic247

You know we are often hypocritical in our judgement. If one ceramic statue falls on another and breaks it we don't condemn it, if a TV fall and crushes the remote we don't say the TV was immoral even though it is more complex than the statue, but for some reason if a person kills another persons baby they are "bad". Who are we to judge after all we are a complex bunch of atoms like the TV is, if our atoms were arrranged to produce the same chemical reaction as the murderer we would not be any better. What we really need to do is find mind altering chemicals and use science to make people feel happy all the time. We also need to learn to do repairs and keep reactions going so we can live forever. amen

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
You know we are often hypocritical in our judgement. If one ceramic statue falls on another and breaks it we don't condemn it, if a TV fall and crushes the remote we don't say the TV was immoral even though it is more complex than the statue, but for some reason if a person kills another persons baby they are "bad". Who are we to judge after all we are a complex bunch of atoms like the TV is, if our atoms were arrranged to produce the same chemical reaction as the murderer we would not be any better. What we really need to do is find mind altering chemicals and use science to make people feel happy all the time. We also need to learn to do repairs and keep reactions going so we can live forever. amen

TVs and ceramic statues don't enter into social contracts, though. ;)

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin

This reminds me of Brave New World...

tomspug

Absorbant
I'm a fan of breaking TVs.

But you bring up a good point. There is no sense of morality in the animal kingdom either. Right and wrong is something that might have been passed down through culture (like was mentioned, social contracts). Children do what their parents tell them a) to prevent punishment or b) to receive reward.

However, there are some things a little more difficult to explain about children. Take for instance, a child's first encounter with death. Even though it is a foreign concept to them, the very idea of death is terrifying for children. I remember my own personal experience with death the first time was rattling. That response (I believe) didn't seem to have anything to do with the way I was raised, only the fact that I had never previously encountered death before.

Of similar weight was my first encounter with betrayal. I think most every child can remember their first friendships. The feeling that you trusted someone and that trust was violated is a horrible feeling. Where does that come from? If we're just following the laws of nature, why should we be bothered by death and betrayal at all? Animals don't seem to care (and apparently, neither do television remotes).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
actually there is a sence of morality in animals.

Pack and herd structure is based on strict hierarchy and often have strict "laws".

In many wasps and ants you can highly developed "laws" and those that are caught breaking them by thier sisters are killed.
Morality is vital to a social species. Humans included. It isn't unique to us though... sorry.

wa:do

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Sonic said:
You know we are often hypocritical in our judgement. If one ceramic statue falls on another and breaks it we don't condemn it, if a TV fall and crushes the remote we don't say the TV was immoral even though it is more complex than the statue, but for some reason if a person kills another persons baby they are "bad". Who are we to judge after all we are a complex bunch of atoms like the TV is, if our atoms were arrranged to produce the same chemical reaction as the murderer we would not be any better.

I assent. We are all fated to be who we will be and we are all blameless because being who we are is nothing wrong.

Sonic said:
What we really need to do is find mind altering chemicals and use science to make people feel happy all the time. We also need to learn to do repairs and keep reactions going so we can live forever. amen

When you destroy evil, you also destroy good.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You know we are often hypocritical in our judgement. If one ceramic statue falls on another and breaks it we don't condemn it, if a TV fall and crushes the remote we don't say the TV was immoral even though it is more complex than the statue, but for some reason if a person kills another persons baby they are "bad". Who are we to judge after all we are a complex bunch of atoms like the TV is, if our atoms were arrranged to produce the same chemical reaction as the murderer we would not be any better.
So, you are comparing a non-living structure to a living being?
A statue simply cannot decide to crush another statue, as the TV cannot decide to fall and crush a remote. A person however can decide, variables and psychological disorders put aside, to kill another person or not. The laws of gravity stack up against the statue to make it fall. A person decides upon there own thought.

Mr. Peanut

So, you are comparing a non-living structure to a living being?
A statue simply cannot decide to crush another statue, as the TV cannot decide to fall and crush a remote. A person however can decide, variables and psychological disorders put aside, to kill another person or not. The laws of gravity stack up against the statue to make it fall. A person decides upon there own thought.
Making abortion all the more horrible.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If you ask me, i have NO CLUE, what teh ehck that all means... TV's and statues? WHAT?!
He is advocating the idea that if the TV kills the remote control we consider it to be the no worse an idea as if a person kills another person. But I suspect it's a bit sardonic.

He is advocating the idea that if the TV kills the remote control we consider it to be the no worse an idea as if a person kills another person. But I suspect it's a bit sardonic.

Well, as far as i know, tv's can't kill.

Its not that bad. Id rather have a dead remote on my hands then a dead person...