• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nice food you don't have very often

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It's Friday so am having a giant kebab that will look much like this one from last week:
IMG-20231204-WA0001.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I love Indian food

Plenty of vegan options too

Not that I'm vegan

Although I probably should be :(
I was a vegan for 7 years.

I was really healthy. It got too costly to make meals separate from my son, though, so I stopped.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I was a vegan for 7 years.

I was really healthy. It got too costly to make meals separate from my son, though, so I stopped.
I'm attracted to veganism because I believe it is the most rational and ethical way to live

But the problem is I am an enormous glutton I am very food oriented I live to eat, I don't eat to live

I therefore live a lifestyle that I fully know to be irrational and unethical

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's Friday so am having a giant kebab that will look much like this one from last week:
View attachment 85729

That looks healthy, lots of green stuff there...

Tonight we had veggi,

For the first time I made a chestnut, feta and mushroom pie. It was a trial run for our veggi contingents Saturnalia dinner.

Never had it before, will have it again.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It is worth remarking upon the seasonality of foods and how domestication has disrupted historical norms of of seasonal availability for the majority of foods. As someone who still does some wildcrafting and a lot of in-season eating through local farmers, there are a lot of things that I can technically get out of season but I do not buy and only have when I can get them from local farmers or harvesting myself.

Like watermelons.

Sure, hypothetically one can ignore the seasonality of foods and have watermelon whenever, flown in from gods knows where guzzling up gods knows how much more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Or... I can have watermelon exactly once a year, when it is in season. Been doing that for years now. I get exactly one of them from the same farmer every year. It lasts me over a week so by the time I'm finished with it I'm a bit tired of watermelon for the season... haha. Hence, usually just the one watermelon every year.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm attracted to veganism because I believe it is the most rational and ethical way to live

But the problem is I am an enormous glutton I am very food oriented I live to eat, I don't eat to live

I therefore live a lifestyle that I fully know to be irrational and unethical
I used to live to eat...

I've lost interest.

It feels strange to me.
It is worth remarking upon the seasonality of foods and how domestication has disrupted historical norms of of seasonal availability for the majority of foods. As someone who still does some wildcrafting and a lot of in-season eating through local farmers, there are a lot of things that I can technically get out of season but I do not buy and only have when I can get them from local farmers or harvesting myself.

Like watermelons.

Sure, hypothetically one can ignore the seasonality of foods and have watermelon whenever, flown in from gods knows where guzzling up gods knows how much more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Or... I can have watermelon exactly once a year, when it is in season. Been doing that for years now. I get exactly one of them from the same farmer every year. It lasts me over a week so by the time I'm finished with it I'm a bit tired of watermelon for the season... haha. Hence, usually just the one watermelon every year.
I've tried to eat seasonally and locally for the majority of our meals for years. Its kinda fun, because it gives you a chance to look forward to things.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Like watermelons.

That's a thing i like about France, much of the fruit and veg is seasonal. Even in supermarkets. And restaurants never have veg detailed on the menu, whatnyou do get is "idées du moment" (ideas of the moment) basically means whats available at the market today.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've tried to eat seasonally and locally for the majority of our meals for years. Its kinda fun, because it gives you a chance to look forward to things.
It really does. Watermelon has become a special thing for me now. And honestly, the in-season locally grown ones are sweeter and yummier too. Every so often I will have the off-season stuff at work events when they've got fruit platters and the like? Cantaloupe too? Yeah, no, in-season, locally bought watermelon and cantaloupe is so, so much better. But I grew up in a household with a bunch of food snobs, so I probably inherited some of that... lol.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It really does. Watermelon has become a special thing for me now. And honestly, the in-season locally grown ones are sweeter and yummier too. Every so often I will have the off-season stuff at work events when they've got fruit platters and the like? Cantaloupe too? Yeah, no, in-season, locally bought watermelon and cantaloupe is so, so much better. But I grew up in a household with a bunch of food snobs, so I probably inherited some of that... lol.
We make watermelon soup once a year. Good stuff. :)

ETA: Watermelon salad is delicious, too.