• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Negativity: Interesting conclusion

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Negativity Bias: Why the Bad Stuff Sticks and How to Overcome It
Moreover, negative emotions rouse the amygdala, the almond-shaped brain structure that psychologist Rick Hansen, PhD, founder of the Wellspring Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom, calls “the alarm bell of your brain.” According to Dr. Hansen, the amygdala “uses about two-thirds of its neurons to look for bad news. Once it sounds the alarm, negative events and experiences get quickly stored in memory, in contrast to positive events and experiences, which usually need to be held in awareness for a dozen or more seconds to transfer from short-term memory buffers to long-term storage.” ....

I think we make the human mind and body more complicated than what it is by attaching many ways to explain the human condition from religion to labeling to bias and so forth.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is all really good stuff in the article. Highly recommend what it is saying. Something I've been learning myself to do for the last couple years. It changes everything radically about the quality and enjoyment of life to not always believe those inner negativities and exhaust so much of our energies with these essentially worthless habits.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've found this personally true. That's why I look at positive story web sites to counteract that tendency.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've found this personally true. That's why I look at positive story web sites to counteract that tendency.

Yeah. I started doing that recently. I just put a block extension on my google search to "hit" all the negative sites if searching online. I'm not around people so the best is to flush out all the things on the computer and put out things that uplift me-music, books, etc. I found out what's blocking me from a lot of things.

It really does help.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Negativity Bias: Why the Bad Stuff Sticks and How to Overcome It
Moreover, negative emotions rouse the amygdala, the almond-shaped brain structure that psychologist Rick Hansen, PhD, founder of the Wellspring Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom, calls “the alarm bell of your brain.” According to Dr. Hansen, the amygdala “uses about two-thirds of its neurons to look for bad news. Once it sounds the alarm, negative events and experiences get quickly stored in memory, in contrast to positive events and experiences, which usually need to be held in awareness for a dozen or more seconds to transfer from short-term memory buffers to long-term storage.” ....

I think we make the human mind and body more complicated than what it is by attaching many ways to explain the human condition from religion to labeling to bias and so forth.
I'm thinking of the various 3-letter initialisms.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I find it very effective to not listen to politicians.
Not hearing their voices avoids all the attendant annoyance.
It also pays to cultivate being dispassionate towards politicians.
Being older also helps. After listening to decades of "a chicken in every pot", I'm much less likely to believe the commercials.