• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Natural Soul

questfortruth

Religion says, that humans have super-natural freewill and super-natural soul.

Wild Fox: "This statement is completely false! Freewill is neurologic based thus is a part of nature. There is nothing super-natural about it! How much of our behavior is really free will derived is being studied because it is a part of the brain which is a natural occurring thing. You must be aware that the brain is the source of our behavior or do you thing your brain also has a supernatural section that is undetectable"

Humans have freewill, says atheist. Do humans have soul as well?

Does atheism accept the existence of soul?

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Wild Fox: "This statement is completely false! Freewill is neurologic based thus is a part of nature. There is nothing super-natural about it! How much of our behavior is really free will derived is being studied because it is a part of the brain which is a natural occurring thing. You must be aware that the brain is the source of our behavior or do you thing your brain also has a supernatural section that is undetectable"

"atheism" doesn't "accept" anything.
Atheism is a single position on a single issue: the non-acceptance of a supreme being, or god.

Personally, I see no reason to believe that there is an immortal "ghost" or "soul" or whatever you wish to call it, hiding somewhere in our bodies. So why would I accept that there is such a thing?

On the other hand, I have a lot of reasons to accept that our brains provide us with the ability to reason and make decisions as we see fit, as are we able to change our minds whenever we want to. So I accept we have freewill, as that is what we call that ability / trait.​

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Have you checked with all atheists? There are all sorts of atheists (to my chagrin). Some atheists (surprisingly) even seem to accept existence of soul.
The Atheism people, I understand, only oppose the truthful religions else they can accept any myth, magic and all sorts of superstitions.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Why add the prefix "super" with natural?
It is a natural stage devised by G-d, as a special blessing, that occurs to a human being in the womb of a mother as I get it from the truthful religion:
[23:15]
ثُمَّ خَلَقۡنَا النُّطۡفَۃَ عَلَقَۃً فَخَلَقۡنَا الۡعَلَقَۃَ مُضۡغَۃً فَخَلَقۡنَا الۡمُضۡغَۃَ عِظٰمًا فَکَسَوۡنَا الۡعِظٰمَ لَحۡمًا ٭ ثُمَّ اَنۡشَاۡنٰہُ خَلۡقًا اٰخَرَ ؕ فَتَبٰرَکَ اللّٰہُ اَحۡسَنُ الۡخٰلِقِیۡنَ ﴿ؕ۱۵﴾
Then We fashioned the sperm into a clot; then We fashioned the clot into a shapeless lump; then We fashioned bones out of this shapeless lump; then We clothed the bones with flesh; then We developed it into another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of creators.

Right, please?

Regards

HonestJoe

Some religions include those beliefs, others don't include one or both of them. Religion is a collective term that doesn't mean very much on it's own.

I've no idea what the person you're calling out believes about gods but I don't see how that is directly relevant to their comment. They're simply an individual expressing a personal opinion. That's no more reflective on other atheists than it is on other foxes. :cool:

Atheism is an abstract concept, it doesn't do anything.

Given the theism/atheism distinction only relates to belief in a god or gods, any individual could have any opinion about the existence of souls regardless of whether they're labelled (by themselves or others) as atheist or theist.

I though it'd be fair to give @Wild Fox the heads up too.​

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
On the other hand, I have a lot of reasons to accept that our brains provide us with the ability to reason and make decisions as we see fit, as are we able to change our minds whenever we want to. So I accept we have freewill, as that is what we call that ability / trait.
Monster, don't you agree that our actions are conditioned?
The Atheism people, I understand, only oppose the truthful religions else they can accept any myth, magic and all sorts of superstitions.
All religions are not truthful, specially which claim to have prophets / sons / messengers / manifestations / mahdis sent by God or Allah. Did these people provide any evidence? Sure, many atheists enjoy myths, folk tales and science fiction.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Monster, don't you agree that our actions are conditioned?

We are conditioned to be more likely to decide to do one thing over another. But it doesn't stop us from things in another way anyway.

For example. I am free to choose between chicken or beef.
Now, society can bombard me with ad campaigns and scare tactics about how beef is a bad choice and depending on susceptible I am to such, I might indeed end up being more inclined to choose chicken instead. But it would still be my decision. It might be an informed decision, but a decision nonetheless.

Now if you wish to go a step further and consider things like hardcore brainwashing, then sure, we can debate about wheter or not the severely brainwashed still has freewill in context of the things he's been brainwashed about.

But I'm off course talking about "normal" circumstances.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The problem here; that the `soul` as stated, is contained in the body.
As the `spirit` that dwelves about is not contained ?????
Does a `soul` have a container other than the body ??
We have `free will` every day, I can't count the mistakes that I've make !
Maybe the secret is in the possession of cognizance,
that knowledge that dies with us, Christians want to take it with them.
They think they will sit in heaven and think about all the lost past !
Ahhhhh....cognition.....such a loss....the `soul` of awareness,
the `feeling` of another person or thing, after death, to `touch` what ?
Nuff Stuff

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The older I get, the more I value my cognizance.
My loss alone.....no `soul` there, just pure `spirit`
But there will be memories...…..for the others.

MNoBody

more hegelian dialectics
non-theists are a response position [to theists] and are thus continually directed and limited to the premise and conclusions of the orthodox...
either a synthesis emerges or conflict ensues.
Albert Pike wrote a fair bit on this concept

MNoBody

found this relevant snippet
Consciousness and the possibility of its survival after death is perhaps the final frontier of science.
Although a large body of knowledge exists about the brain,
"The brain has not explained the mind fully" according to renowned brain surgeon Wilder Penfield.

Materialistic science has yet to produce a conclusive model of consciousness.
This is mainly due to its inability to quantify first-person, subjective experiences.
Materialism views only objective, observable experiments verifiable by third parties to be valid.

The current scientific method relies only upon repeatable experiments to verify a hypothesis;
but its limit is reached when quantifying consciousness.

Mainstream materialistic scientists claim consciousness is produced entirely by the brain.
This is analogous to claiming television sounds and images are produced entirely by television sets, despite the fact television sounds and images are produced by TV stations transmitting nonlocal radio waves.

This analogy describes consciousness based not upon the brain, but the brain based upon consciousness.
There are a multitude of anomalous phenomena including NDEs which cannot be explained using the scientific method.

These anomalous phenomena provides a theoretical basis for a nonlocal model of consciousness while materialistic scientists are unable to explain how immaterial, conscious, subjective experiences can arises from a material brain.

MNoBody

physics-and-life-sayings-by-erwin-schrodinger.jpg
sadly they used a poor font, hard to read.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

What is super-natural freewill different from free will?
Isn't the brain only a receiver of information? in my understanding, the brain only "translate" the neurological signal into something we can understand.

questfortruth

What is super-natural freewill different from free will?
Isn't the brain only a receiver of information? in my understanding, the brain only "translate" the neurological signal into something we can understand.
Freewill is when not possible knowing perfectly all about 2020 spring predict the 2020 winter even in principle.

Bear Wild

Some religions include those beliefs, others don't include one or both of them. Religion is a collective term that doesn't mean very much on it's own.

I've no idea what the person you're calling out believes about gods but I don't see how that is directly relevant to their comment. They're simply an individual expressing a personal opinion. That's no more reflective on other atheists than it is on other foxes. :cool:

Atheism is an abstract concept, it doesn't do anything.

Given the theism/atheism distinction only relates to belief in a god or gods, any individual could have any opinion about the existence of souls regardless of whether they're labelled (by themselves or others) as atheist or theist.

I though it'd be fair to give @Wild Fox the heads up too.​
Thanks for the notice. I thought most philosophers have finally accepted were free will must exist but evidently there are still some holding out for a separate unidentifiable entity giving us the will instead of the neurologically generated will inside our brains.