• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASA and Space!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I was having a discussion with a friend last night regarding NASA and space travel. We set foot on the moon in 1969, 46 years ago! Since then, NASA has fought drastic budget cuts and has since been pushed the margins. Where do you think we would be if the funding percentage of the national budget had remained the same throughout all of these years? Could you imagine? My imagination goes crazy thinking about it, all of the different technological advantages we have today in comparison to the 60’s and there is no telling how far we could go.

But… we haven’t.

It upsets me to think about, really. I think it is important. There is so much we don’t know, further, we are not in any hurry to go find out. Why not? What do you think?

Every time I think about this topic, I feel like my friend Peter...

why-are-we-not-funding-this.jpg

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I was having a discussion with a friend last night regarding NASA and space travel. We set foot on the moon in 1969, 46 years ago! Since then, NASA has fought drastic budget cuts and has since been pushed the margins. Where do you think we would be if the funding percentage of the national budget had remained the same throughout all of these years? Could you imagine? My imagination goes crazy thinking about it, all of the different technological advantages we have today in comparison to the 60’s and there is no telling how far we could go.

But… we haven’t.

It upsets me to think about, really. I think it is important. There is so much we don’t know, further, we are not in any hurry to go find out. Why not? What do you think?

Because we can't afford to spend the same percentage on space exploration anymore. And, yes, it is sad.

But… we haven’t.

They are still doing things.Just not in the public eye.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Because we can't afford to spend the same percentage on space exploration anymore. And, yes, it is sad.
It is crazy, if we took 1.5% of our military spending, we could come pretty close to doubling NASA's budget. :(

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
yes we can we choose not too and choose to spend on even worse avenues war...once war supported the nasa spending.

Quetzal

Premium Member
yes we can we choose not too and choose to spend on even worse avenues war...once war supported the nasa spending.
Last night we were talking about international pressure in regards to this topic. Imagine if Putin released a statement saying "We have the technology and plan to put nukes on the moon in six months." We would be up there, in force, in four.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

But… we haven’t.

Billions have been spent on space exploration but the good news that they found water in Mars.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Republicans don't like funding any programs that could lead towards greater intelligence, thus cutting into their base.:D

Space is our future, and cutting research & development is like cutting our own futuristic throats.

Quetzal

Premium Member
The Republicans don't like funding any programs that could lead towards greater intelligence, thus cutting into their base.:D

Space is our future, and cutting research & development is like cutting our own futuristic throats.
That is a serious question that is a large part of this discussion. Why are GOP candidates so resistant to the idea of funding organizations like NASA?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
That is a serious question that is a large part of this discussion. Why are GOP candidates so resistant to the idea of funding organizations like NASA?
Just listen to Ted Cruz's pathetic response to the head of NASA during a recent congressional hearing. They are so out-of-touch from the scientific community it is truly scary.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They don't like "big government" and they go into a state of total euphoria when someone says "Cut taxes!". They're mostly what is called a "one-trick pony". ;)

Quetzal

Premium Member
They don't like "big government" and they go into a state of total euphoria when someone says "Cut taxes!". They're mostly what is called a "one-trick pony". ;)
I would be willing to bet we could double NASA's budget and people wouldn't know any better when they did their taxes.

Some say NASA has been up to a lot more than what they tell us.The money goes to other projects.Remember operation paper clip?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I would be willing to be we could double NASA's budget and people wouldn't know any better when they did their taxes.
Yeah, but the lobbyists in washington trying to get their hands on that extra tax revenue would be sure to let the right people know.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Some say NASA has been up to a lot more than what they tell us.The money goes to other projects.Remember operation paper clip?

You must be joking, what are you suggesting, exactly?