• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My tone of "voice"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Guys. Is my tone of "voice" always sound defensive or sarcastic online?

It's frustrating trying to converse and have no clue why all of the sudden the person I'm speaking with gets defensive or sarcastic quite literally even begun. I try to put thought in my replies and feels like a waste of time to even do so.

It's a huge pet peeve even when I'm just multitasking, eating ice cream, and laughing at a movie. It's a jult and wondering if it's my tone? I ask too many questions?

Constructive criticism?

Cooky

Veteran Member

It's frustrating trying to converse and have no clue why all of the sudden the person I'm speaking with gets defensive or sarcastic quite literally even begun. I try to put thought in my replies and feels like a waste of time to even do so.

It's a huge pet peeve even when I'm just multitasking, eating ice cream, and laughing at a movie. It's a jult and wondering if it's my tone? I ask too many questions?

Constructive criticism?

The only time I ever got mad at you was when I caught you hanging out with the JW's.

...Just kidding. Your tone is fine, people are often just jerks.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Constructive criticism?
You're fine, imo. Online is difficult because of various factors. Frinstance I type on my ipad with one finger so my posts tend to be short. This may (who knows?) come across as terse but my poor index finger gets tired so I aim to be succinct.
Carry on old bean.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You're fine, imo. Online is difficult because of various factors. Frinstance I type on my ipad with one finger so my posts tend to be short. This may (who knows?) come across as terse but my poor index finger gets tired so I aim to be succinct.
Carry on old bean.

That makes sense. I have to get a new laptop since my keys no longer want to work one by one. That or on my phone.

I can't imagine typing with one finger all the time. After awhile one can get used to it.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That makes sense. I have to get a new laptop since my keys no longer want to work one by one. That or on my phone.

I can't imagine typing with one finger all the time. After awhile one can get used to it.
I can type properly with a normal physical keyboard, but that's not an option with the smaller screen keyboard.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member

Constructive criticism?
I don't know what specifically you refer to. If you're concerned that you are coming across as mean, sarcastic or aggressive then you can try this: put it into notepad and save it, then later on if you still want to post it copy+paste it. That way you'll not give in to impulse and may also catch yourself if something is sarcastic. I don't know if this will work, but you may like it. Maybe you'll enjoy putting ideas into a file to try out on RF? I occasionally do this myself...though not all the time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Constructive criticism?
Your tone is unfailingly pleasant & civil.

BTW, I try for that too, but I'm willing to
change things up when some rascal
invites it. Then the fun begins.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Constructive criticism?
You come across as pleasant and civil.

I am usually sarcastic by default though. I think I can come across as kind of rough. But that’s how a lot of Aussies speak normally so :shrug:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The only time I ever got mad at you was when I caught you hanging out with the JW's.

...Just kidding. Your tone is fine, people are often just jerks.

Haha. They (two friends) invited me to their convention once. I went to their sermon first. Too much reading.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Even with people saying I'm just playing games. Maybe cause I'm not around people to do so, I don't do it. I'm not around people to even consider lying and arguing. RF is the only place that happens, actually. Virtual environment.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Constructive criticism?
I confess I sometimes do find you exasperating. It's not your tone of voice. It's when your ideas, or your way of expressing them, seem to be confused. For instance you wrote this today:

"When I went to get my ultrasound the nurse said if I had "any" symptom of covid they'd transfer me to a larger hospital without verifying that's what I wmhad in this analogy. So people are going to the ERs and called cases before they time out ones who actually have the condition."

In this analogy? What analogy?

People "called cases before they time out ones who actually had the condition"? What does that mean?

I don't know if it is your choice of language that obscures your meaning - to me at least, or something else. Is this a particular American mode of speech, inacessible to a Brit like me? But I can't decipher it.

Maybe someone else here can translate for me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You come across as pleasant and civil.

I am usually sarcastic by default though. I think I can come across as kind of rough. But that’s how a lot of Aussies speak normally so :shrug:

So then I’m really Australian? Hold over from a past life? :p

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
No, at least I have not seen it

You indeed do try hard and put in lots of efforts

It's a jult and wondering if it's my tone?
No, it's not your tone

I ask too many questions?
You do ask lots of questions sometimes. Asking questions is good. Too many of course is not good (because most with "too" is not good)

Constructive criticism?
IF I felt the other is irritated THEN I first check myself if I caused it. Usually I find out at this stage. IF NOT THEN I probably simply ask the person "I get a feeling that you are irritated now, because what I said. I hope I feel it wrong, but if not, please tell me why I irritated, so that I can change myself next time and don't make the mistake again, because I don't want to irritate you"

And always good to remember that not everyone has Q&A as their favorite. Maybe just a bad day, or a bad sleep, or no sex, or too much of it....

And maybe good to ask just a few questions to start with, not too many, and when you get all questions answered AND he tells you "if there is something not clear, then don't hesitate to ask again", then you know can ask more without irritating him;). And when he tells you "this is how I see it, and I can't make it any clearer" then you better listen to that:D

I mean, isn't it best to just ask the person, much better than speculating?

A friend irritated me a bit. I could not figure it out. So, I asked him. It appeared that he was unable to say NO or simply tell me "I disagree with you". And instead of saying NO or "I disagree" he did mean to me in areas totally unrelated.

Glad I asked him. I told him, from now on you say NO to me if you feel like it. And please tell me if you disagree, get it out of your system, don't keep it boiling inside. And you don't even have to say "why you disagree". He felt also very relieved, he thought I would get angry if he said NO.

He told me that he had a narcissistic father who never allowed him to say NO to him and was very dominant. So you see, how easy strange communication happens. And online even more easy to misunderstand each other, because many have emotional traumas or imbalances, but you don't see their face, so very difficult to empathize.

So, this was a very long reply. I hope I did not irritate you. IF so THEN of course you let me know, right?:)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think I've ever perceived you as being cruel or intentionally offensive. Occasionally I've gotten mixed up on a piece of grammar, but that's not unique to you. Most of us mess up spelling and grammar from time to time. I know I certainly do.

I hardly ever recall sarcasm coming from you. I think if I did, it was brief and warranted. You do, however, sometimes give the impression of being a bit 'down' or slightly depressed at times. And there's no shame in that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Constructive criticism?

If I should eat ice cream and laugh at a movie then I'd get slapped by Mrs Badger for slopping 'stickiness' over my nice clean jumper. :D

Just be you..... keep being you...... you are always worth reading.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Constructive criticism?
You have never seemed defensive or sarcastic to me. I think it is just they don't subscribe to your belief system and they respond in a wrong tone.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think I've ever perceived you as being cruel or intentionally offensive. Occasionally I've gotten mixed up on a piece of grammar, but that's not unique to you. Most of us mess up spelling and grammar from time to time. I know I certainly do.

I hardly ever recall sarcasm coming from you. I think if I did, it was brief and warranted. You do, however, sometimes give the impression of being a bit 'down' or slightly depressed at times. And there's no shame in that.

Hmmm. I do? I am a bit depressed but didn't know it was through my words here. Six sense?

I usually can't catch the grammar since I talk in fragments anyway. Don't know why. Sometimes English is a lazy language among other factors. Spelling I catch after since what I hear in my head is not quite what I read. It's kind of weird but, well.

Thank you

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Even with people saying I'm just playing games. Maybe cause I'm not around people to do so, I don't do it. I'm not around people to even consider lying and arguing. RF is the only place that happens, actually. Virtual environment.
RF is a cow pasture. Watch where you step.
Otherwise you get unwanted personal accusations all over your shoes.