• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My tone of "voice"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I confess I sometimes do find you exasperating. It's not your tone of voice. It's when your ideas, or your way of expressing them, seem to be confused. For instance you wrote this today:

"When I went to get my ultrasound the nurse said if I had "any" symptom of covid they'd transfer me to a larger hospital without verifying that's what I wmhad in this analogy. So people are going to the ERs and called cases before they time out ones who actually have the condition."

In this analogy? What analogy?

People "called cases before they time out ones who actually had the condition"? What does that mean?

I don't know if it is your choice of language that obscures your meaning - to me at least, or something else. Is this a particular American mode of speech, inacessible to a Brit like me? But I can't decipher it.

Maybe someone else here can translate for me.

I don't know. I got used to the remarks around my grammar. Though, cut off conversations or deliberate ignoring annoys me than just saying "hey. I have no clue what you just said." Was thinking of a couple other people in mind. I did ask them all what was up and all but none gave me an answer so I really can't improve (or even someone tell me to acknowledge my error).

You know. It could just be American speech as well. I wouldn't say completely since some Americans here kind of comment but cultural differences do play a part too. It is said that Americans are very direct and badgering. We're outspoken. It comes across like that with people who have a more passive silent approach. I'm thinking of a Philippine friend of mine, well former friend, who has that mindset. Western vs Eastern culture class.

To tell you honestly, I don't know what I meant with the ultrasound comment. I usually forget or leave it aside if no one brings it up or the conversation ends. I don't mind clarifying.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Guys. Is my tone of "voice" always sound defensive or sarcastic online?
I haven't noticed that; but then, my tone of voice is often harsher than I intend online, so I dunno.

It's frustrating trying to converse and have no clue why all of the sudden the person I'm speaking with gets defensive or sarcastic quite literally even begun. I try to put thought in my replies and feels like a waste of time to even do so.

It's a huge pet peeve even when I'm just multitasking, eating ice cream, and laughing at a movie. It's a jult and wondering if it's my tone? I ask too many questions?

Constructive criticism?
I've no constructive criticism, only sympathy. It's not just you: there's a receiver of your words out there who bears half the responsibility for the message.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm. I do? I am a bit depressed but didn't know it was through my words here. Six sense?

I usually can't catch the grammar since I talk in fragments anyway. Don't know why. Sometimes English is a lazy language among other factors. Spelling I catch after since what I hear in my head is not quite what I read. It's kind of weird but, well.

Thank you

I talk in fragments sometimes, too. It doesn't come out the same in writing as it does in one's head.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Guys. Is my tone of "voice" always sound defensive or sarcastic online?

It's frustrating trying to converse and have no clue why all of the sudden the person I'm speaking with gets defensive or sarcastic quite literally even begun. I try to put thought in my replies and feels like a waste of time to even do so.

It's a huge pet peeve even when I'm just multitasking, eating ice cream, and laughing at a movie. It's a jult and wondering if it's my tone? I ask too many questions?

Constructive criticism?
Even with icons, its hard to relate emotions in context. In print it can look like one thing while not being the case at all. =0]

Ones tone online is effectively a mirror that reflects your own personality and perception more often than not I think.

U cool enough.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't know. I got used to the remarks around my grammar. Though, cut off conversations or deliberate ignoring annoys me than just saying "hey. I have no clue what you just said." Was thinking of a couple other people in mind. I did ask them all what was up and all but none gave me an answer so I really can't improve (or even someone tell me to acknowledge my error).

You know. It could just be American speech as well. I wouldn't say completely since some Americans here kind of comment but cultural differences do play a part too. It is said that Americans are very direct and badgering. We're outspoken. It comes across like that with people who have a more passive silent approach. I'm thinking of a Philippine friend of mine, well former friend, who has that mindset. Western vs Eastern culture class.

To tell you honestly, I don't know what I meant with the ultrasound comment. I usually forget or leave it aside if no one brings it up or the conversation ends. I don't mind clarifying.
Being outspoken is fine. We have Yorkshiremen in Britain (my paternal grandfather was one). And I've lived in the Netherlands, where people really are outspoken. You always know where you stand with a Dutchman*. I rather like it.

In fact I meant rather the opposite: not being clear enough what point you are making.

*There was a funny incident in the press some years ago, in which the CEO of a Dutch ferry company was challenged on why he did not employ more British crew and dock workers, seeing as his ships went between Hook of Holland and Hull andHarwich in England. His brusque response was that his people had interviewed plenty, but that "they tend to be rather fat and covered in tattoos." He's right, too!