• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Problem With the "God Did It" Explanation for the Existence of the Universe

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'd hardly call conditions perfect for life. Just look at the history of mass extinctions we have.
I find the lack of perfection far interesting.

wa:do

Amill

Apikoros
Then you have aspiration to life after death...and you are more likely to be motivated by a morality...leading to a greater life.

"More likely to be motivated by a morality"... So our morality is affected by whether or not we believe in consequences after death? I think the bonds and feelings we attach to other people determine our morality. The only thing an afterlife should do is scare some people from doing bad actions. Surely people who do good things because it feels good are better than people who do good things or don't do bad things because they're scared or wanting to live forever. Belief in an afterlife doesn't affect someone's morality, just whether or not they take certain actions. Their feelings deep down are still the same.

Would you rather know that someone helped you out because they liked you? Or because they wanted to get into heaven?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"More likely to be motivated by a morality"... So our morality is affected by whether or not we believe in consequences after death? I think the bonds and feelings we attach to other people determine our morality. The only thing an afterlife should do is scare some people from doing bad actions. Surely people who do good things because it feels good are better than people who do good things or don't do bad things because they're scared or wanting to live forever. Belief in an afterlife doesn't affect someone's morality, just whether or not they take certain actions. Their feelings deep down are still the same.

Would you rather know that someone helped you out because they liked you? Or because they wanted to get into heaven?

Since you ask....

There are four basic motivations.
God first....spiritual life and motivation
Then your fellowman....social upbringing
Then brute force.....martial law.
Last but not least.....money.

You can motivate your fellowman by saying....God wants you to.
Or... it's good for me....good for you....it's the common good.
Or...get in line....where are your papers!
Or.... there's money in it for me...a paycheck for you...the time clock is over there.

Only the law....
do unto others as you would have it done unto you....
crosses over.
It's more than a code of behavior...it is fair warning.

The angels are waiting, to do unto you, as you did unto others.

Narrated by prophet Mohamed prayers & peace upon him

Allah (God) said:

Think of my creatures, and donot think of myself otherwise you will be lost.

God stated in Quran: nothing is like Allah

So anything you can imagine including the great universe is not like Allah.
God self is beyond our limited thinking & imagination or otherwise he is not unique.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So anything you can imagine including the great universe is not like Allah.
God self is beyond our limited thinking & imagination or otherwise he is not unique.

Interesting how so many religions, including Islam, claim to know so much about god then.

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
Yet you, and other Abrahamic believers insist on anthropomorphizing your god.
He has human emotions and attributes...
Allah Loves the believers.
Allah is Merciful
Allah is Forgiving.
Allah is Kind.
Allah is Mighty.
Allah is Strong.
Allah is Wise.
Allah teaches you.
Allah sends clear communications.
Allah has grace and gives grace to whomsoever He pleases.
Allah is the Lord of the Worlds.
Allah made Adam in His image.
Allah creates with his hands.
Allah has feet.
Allah has eyes.
Allah has a face.

You should give us the exact scriptural citations. I'd like to find them in my copy of the Qur'an sometime.

Hawkins

Still you can't refute that their beliefs are guided by God the Holy Spirit. It is because they feel so and experience so. :yes: Lacking in experience can't be the persuasive proof to refute things.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Still you can't refute that their beliefs are guided by God the Holy Spirit. It is because they feel so and experience so. :yes: Lacking in experience can't be the persuasive proof to refute things.
ROTFLMAO

really?
you are honestly comfortable with basing your whole belief system on "Well, you cannot prove it wrong" even though you have absolutely no way to prove it true?

Do you apply this "logic" to everything in your life, or just your religious beliefs?

Wotan

ROTFLMAO

really?
you are honestly comfortable with basing your whole belief system on "Well, you cannot prove it wrong" even though you have absolutely no way to prove it true?

Do you apply this "logic" to everything in your life, or just your religious beliefs?

So in his world unicorns REALLY exist.:rolleyes:

He is and will forever remain on my Ignore list. Some intellects are just not worth engaging.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
WHAT? Unicorns don't exist? Oh man! Please tell me the flying spaghetti monster is real! Or that the earth is supported by an infinite queue of giant turtles! I heard a rumor that the earth is round. Please tell me it ain't so!

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
WHAT? Unicorns don't exist? Oh man! Please tell me the flying spaghetti monster is real! Or that the earth is supported by an infinite queue of giant turtles! I heard a rumor that the earth is round. Please tell me it ain't so!
I've seen unicorns on TV. I even remember a song about why they wern't on the ark.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Okay...200 postings into it...and several people just won't fess up....

God did it!

So let us have a NEW God... and we will call Him....Science.
And we will bow to the intellect of His equations....
And we will honor His chosen prophets....
And we will worship Him in His laboratories...
And praise Him on our chalkboards.

And we will donate vast sums of money that we may split His atom.
And with this mighty sword we shall vanquish the oppressor....

And with Science shall we go forth and clone...and multiply....
And we shall dominate all things in His name.
And we shall partake of all of His creation without shame or regard...
And there will be no sin...

And we will partake of any seed....and manipulate that seed...
That it will serve us and feed us as we see fit....
though it might not keep us fit.

And He shall reveal to us His secrets of intellect...instilled...and installed...
In His gracious gift of the microchip...

And His Son...the Great Serpent.... the System.... shall watch over us
and protect us...
And our children shall wax over stupid and live in conformity...

And we shall not fear the Eternal Darkness of the grave...
For there is no life after death...no hope...not a chance...

Last edited: