• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Problem With the "God Did It" Explanation for the Existence of the Universe

MSizer

MSizer
Yesterday a member said to me that the world is far too perfect to simply have always existed or to be explained without an almighty "God".

Here's my problem with this logic. If you say that there's no way something so complex and amazing could "just happen", then how do you explain the existence of God, who would presumably be even more complex and amazing. God would have to be even less likely than the universe. If the incredible complexity of the world is too much to just exist on it's own, then God would have to be even more impossible than the universe.

It doesn't make sense to me. Clarifications?

you believe your sight has a limit right ?
and your hearing also has a limit right?

why can't you accept that your mind ALSO has a limit ?
we believe GOD IS BEYOND COMPREHENSION

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Yet you, and other Abrahamic believers insist on anthropomorphizing your god.
He has human emotions and attributes...
Allah Loves the believers.
Allah is Merciful
Allah is Forgiving.
Allah is Kind.
Allah is Mighty.
Allah is Strong.
Allah is Wise.
Allah teaches you.
Allah sends clear communications.
Allah has grace and gives grace to whomsoever He pleases.
Allah is the Lord of the Worlds.
Allah made Adam in His image.
Allah creates with his hands.
Allah has feet.
Allah has eyes.
Allah has a face.

MSizer

MSizer

Yes but there's a much more plausible explanation to the concept of God, which makes yours irrational.

You believe people can imagine things right? You believe that people can be mistaken, right? GOD IS IN YOUR IMAGINATION.

MSizer

MSizer
Allah is Merciful
Allah is Forgiving.
Allah is Kind.
Allah is Mighty.
Allah is Strong.
Allah is Wise.
Allah teaches you.
Allah has feet.
Allah has eyes.
Allah has a face.

Hmm, if you switched "Allah" for "Manitou" i'd never have known. but manitou said North America was supported by a giant turtle. I'm gonna appeal to simple obvious reason and say that Allah and Manitou are both nice stories which do not reflect reality.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
You believe people can imagine things right? You believe that people can be mistaken, right? GOD IS IN YOUR IMAGINATION.
Just to get all technical, EVERYTHING is in your imagination. Many things have a referent outside your imagination, and some do not.

Yes but there's a much more plausible explanation to the concept of God, which makes yours irrational.

actually he is not in my imagination because no matter what i do i wont be able to imagine how GOD looks like because GOD IS so great that my mind can't comprehend him

Allah is Merciful
Allah is Forgiving.
Allah is Kind.
Allah is Mighty.
Allah is Strong.
Allah is Wise.
Allah teaches you.
Allah has feet.
Allah has eyes.
Allah has a face.

these are things that ALLAH told us about him self we didn't make that up expect few of what you said

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yesterday a member said to me that the world is far too perfect to simply have always existed or to be explained without an almighty "God".

Here's my problem with this logic. If you say that there's no way something so complex and amazing could "just happen", then how do you explain the existence of God, who would presumably be even more complex and amazing. God would have to be even less likely than the universe. If the incredible complexity of the world is too much to just exist on it's own, then God would have to be even more impossible than the universe.

Your logic is correct.
You went from one idea to the next, right on cue.

It was the starting point that failed.

Your question counters a statement. Your question has intention to undo the statement.
Your question has a bias.

Of course the statement is also faulted.
Yes...the universe is complex.
But it began with only one declaration....."I am"

The complexity took a long time.

MSizer

MSizer
actually he is not in my imagination because no matter what i do i wont be able to imagine how GOD looks like because GOD IS so great that my mind can't comprehend him

You don't have to imagine what god looks like to imagine that he exists. I can imagine that giants exist beneath the crust of the earth, and I can be convinced for sure that they exist. Whether I know what they look like or no matter how sure I am that they exist has no bearing on whether they actually do exist.

MSizer

MSizer
Your logic is correct.

Your question counters a statement. Your question has intention to undo the statement.

That doesn't change anything. Whether it happened instantly or whether it took 600 billion years makes no difference. The logic of "god did it" still doesn't pan out.

Just_me_Mike

IMO our complex universe and its complexities came from a theorized simple single point. Only when the single point divides does it become complex.
That is the paradox of infinity, and is quite a good explanation for God.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I think the bigger question is, "The world is perfect?" Really?

And it's always funny how those who insist "God is beyond our comprehension" then immediately start to tell you what god is, what it wants, how it operates, etc.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
IMO our complex universe and its complexities came from a theorized simple single point. Only when the single point divides does it become complex.
That is the paradox of infinity, and is quite a good explanation for God.

Agreed. All things from the singularity.
God's way of saying...'I am'.

MSizer

MSizer
I think the bigger question is, "The world is perfect?" Really?

And it's always funny how those who insist "God is beyond our comprehension" then immediately start to tell you what god is, what it wants, how it operates, etc.

Exactly! Tell a baby in northern nigeria that was hacked to death by a machete weilding religious freak that the world is perfect.

I love Douglas Adams' puddle analogy. He says to imagine that a puddle of water suddenly became aware of itself and the world. It would think, "wow, somebody dug this hole just perfectly to fit me". That's the same logical fallacy that "God did It" believers use.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

My problem with "god did it" is that it does not answer the question.

McBell

With everything else having a limit, why would one conclude that God does not?

Beyond comprehension?
Seems to me that you are in trouble.
Either you and every other theist is lieing/guessing/making things up about what god wants, thinks and feels, or God is not beyond comprehension.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So....some kinda of question must exist before the statement?

'I am'.....does not answer any question.

McBell

Your logic is correct.

You make all manner of statements about how wrong the OP is, yet fail to point out how...