• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My God is Awesome!!!"

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Two points to make on that:
(a) So everything that goes wrong with Nature is God's fault as if a God exists in the absolute truth.
(b) For believers they are thanking whatever God they perceive as having shown mercy towards them specifically. I do not see anything wrong with that, as religion is personal to the adherent and passes judgements on God as to why misfortune has hit others and not them.

the problem is wide spread in Christianity that they perceive and why they should perceive they are in some way special or unique to be saved and their neighbors perish in the storm.

Shantanu

the problem is wide spread in Christianity that they perceive and why they should perceive they are in some way special or unique to be saved and their neighbors perish in the storm.
I have tried to deserve to be saved from the persecution that I was subjected to in the United Kingdom with its allies. In the end I discovered that one is saved only if one lives like a advaitin.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I have tried to deserve to be saved from the persecution that I was subjected to in the United Kingdom with its allies. In the end I discovered that one is saved only if one lives like a advaitin.

This to me presents a similar problem of specialness in one way or another in our relationship to the physical world, ie subject to disasters, or negative relationships ie persecution, because you believe in a certain way.

I believe more in the universal nature of our relationship with the spiritual and physical. Though we can avoid violence and negative relationships by our beliefs and actions we cannot totally avoid them.

In the OP I believe it is wise to install a tornado.storm shelter than rely on a closet to take shelter. It encourages a more practical relationship with the real world.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bad things happen.
Good things do too.
It's never been summed up better than in Forest Gump.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans are religious because they seek to make meaning out of their lives. It helps ground us, and we all do this to some extent or another (albeit in different ways). Makes perfect sense to me. :shrug:

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Giving God Credit While Turning A Blind Eye
"After Tornado Wrecks AL Town, Chaplain Praises God for Not Touching Prayer Room

I know we like pointing out the bizarre Christian reactions when a natural disaster destroys a community but spares a Bible… as if that’s a sign of God’s love. But this is a new one.

The recent outbreak of tornadoes in Alabama decimated one family’s house. Everything, that is, except a closet where the grandmother used to pray.

Jason Smith, a member of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, shared the image on Facebook, where it quickly went viral.

View attachment 27807

Listen to me please. I just left a family who survived the tornado in this house and the only left standing is this closet. It’s the grandmother’s prayer closet, and the whole family survived. Are you kiddin me!!! My God is awesome!!! Shout somebody! –Jason–
If that’s the case, then that same “awesome” God has also killed 23 people and injured 97 others. God also destroyed their home.

But the closet is still there… so yay?

Thankfully, no one in that family was hurt, but giving God credit for not taking down a few pieces of wood while ignoring the damage you also believe is part of God’s plan is a mark of religious delusion. It’s the same mindset that praises God after a plane crash because there’s a single survivor — you’re missing the point.

It makes me wonder what it would take for these people to stop giving God credit for this nothing-burger. If a family member perished in the disaster, would they still be praising God? If the closet fell but other parts of the house stayed up, would they be upset about it?

Smith should just admit he’s grasping for any good news he can find instead of pretending God is sending a sign to the people of Alabama. No one deserves praise for destroying all-but-one thing."
source
Now, I have no problem with Christians giving their god credit for X, Y, or Z, but how about putting it in perspective, people. This kind of blind-eye praise is so common one might thing it even makes sense.

Do you think it does?

So, you feel that when God kills someone via a storm, He's wrong, and when people thank God for still being alive after a tragedy, they're wrong.

MJFlores

Now, I have no problem with Christians giving their god credit for X, Y, or Z, but how about putting it in perspective, people. This kind of blind-eye praise is so common one might thing it even makes sense.

Do you think it does?

They just want to lift their spirits.
And they are grateful they are alive while the others didn't made it.

And they are no different from

Allāhu akbar
"God is [the] greatest"

pearl

Isn't a closet one of the recommended places to go in the event of a tornado prediction since there is so little time to leave the house looking for shelter? I would bet on coincidence.

Awe-some or awe-ful.

awe-ful full of awe

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
All the Bibles and crosses in the Church remained unscathed , during an intense fire at a Church in West Virginia. ...:)

screen-shot-2019-03-05-at-7.04.45-am.png

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God only exists in the visible world of materialism to guide people who seek help in coping with the nuances of Nature.
I thought that was the job of science and technology.
Technology has certainly been better at averting harm from natural disasters than prayer and sacrifice ever was.
Nobody is saying they are wrong, just that such a belief is clearly cherry-picking, since it glorifies God for saving lives while ignoring that such a God put those people in danger to begin with. It shows an unhealthy, somewhat naïve, mentality. Of course, it could still be correct, but if that's the case God is patently evil.
It also points to a craven obsequiousness driven by a belief that God is capricious and easily annoyed, that there is no defense from His wrath, and that the best approach to such a dangerous being is to keep Him happy with constant praise.

Audie

Veteran Member
Isn't a closet one of the recommended places to go in the event of a tornado prediction since there is so little time to leave the house looking for shelter? I would bet on coincidence.

In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy. closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray. ...

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

"After Tornado Wrecks AL Town, Chaplain Praises God for Not Touching Prayer Room

I know we like pointing out the bizarre Christian reactions when a natural disaster destroys a community but spares a Bible… as if that’s a sign of God’s love. But this is a new one.

The recent outbreak of tornadoes in Alabama decimated one family’s house. Everything, that is, except a closet where the grandmother used to pray.

Jason Smith, a member of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, shared the image on Facebook, where it quickly went viral.

View attachment 27807

Listen to me please. I just left a family who survived the tornado in this house and the only left standing is this closet. It’s the grandmother’s prayer closet, and the whole family survived. Are you kiddin me!!! My God is awesome!!! Shout somebody! –Jason–
If that’s the case, then that same “awesome” God has also killed 23 people and injured 97 others. God also destroyed their home.

But the closet is still there… so yay?

Thankfully, no one in that family was hurt, but giving God credit for not taking down a few pieces of wood while ignoring the damage you also believe is part of God’s plan is a mark of religious delusion. It’s the same mindset that praises God after a plane crash because there’s a single survivor — you’re missing the point.

It makes me wonder what it would take for these people to stop giving God credit for this nothing-burger. If a family member perished in the disaster, would they still be praising God? If the closet fell but other parts of the house stayed up, would they be upset about it?

Smith should just admit he’s grasping for any good news he can find instead of pretending God is sending a sign to the people of Alabama. No one deserves praise for destroying all-but-one thing."
source

Do you think it does?

Amazingly good and loving God seems more concerned in protecting prayer rooms than praying people.

Allelujah. He really is Great.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Two points to make on that:
(a) So everything that goes wrong with Nature is God's fault as if a God exists in the absolute truth.

The problem is not that everything is God’s fault. The problem is that nothing is God’s fault.

(b) For believers they are thanking whatever God they perceive as having shown mercy towards them specifically. I do not see anything wrong with that, as religion is personal to the adherent and passes judgements on God as to why misfortune has hit others and not them.

I personally perceive it as an obscene exercise of egotistical and self centered hypocrisy.

Thank you Lord for having found a mortgage ar the last minute. Or for having found me a job. Or cured me from my bad back, or for that food on the table....The unanswered prayers of the mothers praying for the 30,000 children who will die today, like every day, are not so important.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Shantanu

This to me presents a similar problem of specialness in one way or another in our relationship to the physical world, ie subject to disasters, or negative relationships ie persecution, because you believe in a certain way.

I believe more in the universal nature of our relationship with the spiritual and physical. Though we can avoid violence and negative relationships by our beliefs and actions we cannot totally avoid them.

In the OP I believe it is wise to install a tornado.storm shelter than rely on a closet to take shelter. It encourages a more practical relationship with the real world.
There is nothing special about my relationship with the Universal Being: it was just a matter of discovering the reality and living according to the new found reality that all that exists is Pure Consciousness that directs our every move in accordance with our gunas (genetic attributes) and this Consciousness is therefore the doer and the Self.

Shantanu

I thought that was the job of science and technology.
Technology has certainly been better at averting harm from natural disasters than prayer and sacrifice ever was.
That is of course very true: Consciousness is the guide to the technology that are invented to averting dangers to oneself from natural disasters like persecution and tornadoes. As has been said a tornado shelter needed to be constructed if the country is plagued with tornadoes.

Shantanu

The problem is not that everything is God’s fault. The problem is that nothing is God’s fault.

I personally perceive it as an obscene exercise of egotistical and self centered hypocrisy.

Thank you Lord for having found a mortgage ar the last minute. Or for having found me a job. Or cured me from my bad back, or for that food on the table....The unanswered prayers of the mothers praying for the 30,000 children who will die today, like every day, are not so important.

Ciao

- viole
You are right: nothing is anyone's fault. Consciousness just is the architect, the thinker and the doer. We are Consciousness.There is nothing but Consciousness. So the question of fault does not come into it. Consciousness judges itself by itself and rectifies any errors itself.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You are right: nothing is anyone's fault. Consciousness just is the architect, the thinker and the doer. We are Consciousness.There is nothing but Consciousness. So the question of fault does not come into it. Consciousness judges itself by itself and rectifies any errors itself.

All this sounds like an incoherent set of unintellegible deepities.
Sound deep and profound, but have no apparent meaning.

Can you reformulate. What do you mean everything is consciousness? Is the table I am using now conscious?

Ciao

- viole

Shantanu

All this sounds like an incoherent set of unintellegible deepities.
Sound deep and profound, but have no apparent meaning.

Can you reformulate. What do you mean everything is consciousness? Is the table I am using now conscious?

Ciao

- viole
Consciousness is Reality/Existence/Truth-Awareness-Bliss (satchitananda). It constitutes everything there is to know. It acts to generate creation. The table is Pure Consciousness because it exists and its atoms and electrons make it self-aware as well as blissful as it is at peace.