• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My God is Awesome!!!"

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Consciousness is Reality/Existence/Truth-Awareness-Bliss (satchitananda). It constitutes everything there is to know. It acts to generate creation. The table is Pure Consciousness because it exists and its atoms and electrons make it self-aware as well as blissful as it is at peace.

Oh dear. Poor little thing. I just spilled hot tea on it. And I said it is just a useless old table anyway.
Do you think it suffered?

I feel terrible now.

Ciao

- viole

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
In Christianity, the resurrected Christ is the most awesome and ultimate act of caring for everybody by God. ...:) So then, in Christianity, any other fortuitous events are relatively insignificant.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In Christianity, the resurrected Christ is the most awesome and ultimate act of caring for everybody by God. ...:) So then, in Christianity, any other fortuitous events are relatively insignificant.

I think it is not the resurrection the ultimate act of love (obviously, how does resurrecting X show love at all, apart from the individual being resurrected?).

I think Christians believe it is His pseudo death on the cross, which was so awesome.

Ciao

- viole

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is nothing special about my relationship with the Universal Being: it was just a matter of discovering the reality and living according to the new found reality that all that exists is Pure Consciousness that directs our every move in accordance with our gunas (genetic attributes) and this Consciousness is therefore the doer and the Self.

As you indicated before you claim your relationship is special.

InChrist

Free4ever

Giving God Credit While Turning A Blind Eye
"After Tornado Wrecks AL Town, Chaplain Praises God for Not Touching Prayer Room

I know we like pointing out the bizarre Christian reactions when a natural disaster destroys a community but spares a Bible… as if that’s a sign of God’s love. But this is a new one.

The recent outbreak of tornadoes in Alabama decimated one family’s house. Everything, that is, except a closet where the grandmother used to pray.

Jason Smith, a member of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, shared the image on Facebook, where it quickly went viral.

View attachment 27807

Listen to me please. I just left a family who survived the tornado in this house and the only left standing is this closet. It’s the grandmother’s prayer closet, and the whole family survived. Are you kiddin me!!! My God is awesome!!! Shout somebody! –Jason–
If that’s the case, then that same “awesome” God has also killed 23 people and injured 97 others. God also destroyed their home.

But the closet is still there… so yay?

Thankfully, no one in that family was hurt, but giving God credit for not taking down a few pieces of wood while ignoring the damage you also believe is part of God’s plan is a mark of religious delusion. It’s the same mindset that praises God after a plane crash because there’s a single survivor — you’re missing the point.

It makes me wonder what it would take for these people to stop giving God credit for this nothing-burger. If a family member perished in the disaster, would they still be praising God? If the closet fell but other parts of the house stayed up, would they be upset about it?

Smith should just admit he’s grasping for any good news he can find instead of pretending God is sending a sign to the people of Alabama. No one deserves praise for destroying all-but-one thing."
source
Now, I have no problem with Christians giving their god credit for X, Y, or Z, but how about putting it in perspective, people. This kind of blind-eye praise is so common one might thing it even makes sense.

Do you think it does?

It does make sense and for this family to express their thanks to God in their circumstance in no way means they turn a blind eye or disregard the loss of others. I think that accusation is just you practicing one of your favorite hobbies of finger- pointing and finding anything you can come up with to belittle Christians.

Personally, I may not see the point of giving thanks for a closet still standing, but for that person and family it may be very significant. That prayer closet where the grandmother prayed may represent something much bigger and indicate to them that her prayers for their protection were answered. Although, their house was destroyed they all safely survived. My daughter was in a building years ago which was totally destroyed by an earthquake. Yet she, another employee, and the owner were all rescued by the fire dept. and survived with only minor scratches. The owner was believer who said she prayed everyday that if there were ever an earthquake that none of her employees would be hurt or killed. I was very grateful for those prayers and protection of my daughter. But others down the street were killed. Does my thankfulness for my daughter's life mean I didn't put things in perspective or care about them or the grief their families were feeling? NO.

Giving thanks to God for the things we are thankful for even in the midst of tragedy, does not mean we are thankful for the tragedy itself or disregarding the suffering of others who are going through tragic circumstances.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thess. 5:16-18

Skwim

Veteran Member
It does make sense and for this family to express their thanks to God in their circumstance in no way means they turn a blind eye or disregard the loss of others. I think that accusation is just you practicing one of your favorite hobbies of finger- pointing and finding anything you can come up with to belittle Christians.
*sigh* Reading comprehension, InChrist. Reading comprehension. Please reread the OP carefully.

Okay? Did you notice that it wasn't the family who made the remark? No? Then go back and reread it again.
RIGHT! it was Jason Smith, a member of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, who was commenting on the partial prayer closet that was left standing.

The point is,

Sparing 1 1/2 walls of a closet while letting 23 people be killed and 97 injured hardly justifies calling one's god "awesome."

But then . . . maybe you do find it justifiable. :shrug: Do you?

Is a partial closet worth more than the 120 people who were killed or injured?

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
*sigh* Reading comprehension, InChrist. Reading comprehension. Please reread the OP carefully.

Okay? Did you notice that it wasn't the family who made the remark? No? Then go back and reread it again.
RIGHT! it was Jason Smith, a member of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, who was commenting on the partial prayer closet that was left standing. The point is,

Sparing 1 1/2 walls of a closet while letting 23 people be killed and 97 injured hardly justifies calling one's god "awesome."

But then . . . maybe you do find it justifiable. :shrug: Do you?

Is a partial closet worth more than the 120 people who were killed or injured?

Okay, you are right I didn't pay proper attention to who made the comment. My mistake.

But no, I don't think a partial closet is worth more than the lives of 120 people who were hurt or killed. I see this as an absurd question/accusation because no one would. Yet, I think this post and so many of yours have the ulterior motive of trying to make Christians appear in a negative light. I don't doubt that when Jason Smith made the comment he was also considering the bigger picture represented by the standing prayer closet in the lives of the surviving family, rather than putting value on the physical material of the closet itself.

Shantanu

Oh dear. Poor little thing. I just spilled hot tea on it. And I said it is just a useless old table anyway.
Do you think it suffered?

I feel terrible now.

Ciao

- viole
The point is one needs to take care not to disrupt the universe unduly.

sealchan

Giving God Credit While Turning A Blind Eye
"After Tornado Wrecks AL Town, Chaplain Praises God for Not Touching Prayer Room

I know we like pointing out the bizarre Christian reactions when a natural disaster destroys a community but spares a Bible… as if that’s a sign of God’s love. But this is a new one.

The recent outbreak of tornadoes in Alabama decimated one family’s house. Everything, that is, except a closet where the grandmother used to pray.

Jason Smith, a member of the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, shared the image on Facebook, where it quickly went viral.

View attachment 27807

Listen to me please. I just left a family who survived the tornado in this house and the only left standing is this closet. It’s the grandmother’s prayer closet, and the whole family survived. Are you kiddin me!!! My God is awesome!!! Shout somebody! –Jason–
If that’s the case, then that same “awesome” God has also killed 23 people and injured 97 others. God also destroyed their home.

But the closet is still there… so yay?

Thankfully, no one in that family was hurt, but giving God credit for not taking down a few pieces of wood while ignoring the damage you also believe is part of God’s plan is a mark of religious delusion. It’s the same mindset that praises God after a plane crash because there’s a single survivor — you’re missing the point.

It makes me wonder what it would take for these people to stop giving God credit for this nothing-burger. If a family member perished in the disaster, would they still be praising God? If the closet fell but other parts of the house stayed up, would they be upset about it?

Smith should just admit he’s grasping for any good news he can find instead of pretending God is sending a sign to the people of Alabama. No one deserves praise for destroying all-but-one thing."
source
Now, I have no problem with Christians giving their god credit for X, Y, or Z, but how about putting it in perspective, people. This kind of blind-eye praise is so common one might thing it even makes sense.

Do you think it does?

No this behaviour doesnt make God look great, just petty. And the believers in denial.

I mean it is even Stockholm Syndrome material.

God is amoral, the creator of the Universe which is only slightly more disposed, currently, of permitting humanity to exist than not. And it is an even closer call on the matter of individual existence. We humans need to work hard to increase that ratio...this is what I think God wants from us. Not unthinking statements such as you have highlighted.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Two points to make on that:
(a) So everything that goes wrong with Nature is God's fault as if a God exists in the absolute truth.
(b) For believers they are thanking whatever God they perceive as having shown mercy towards them specifically. I do not see anything wrong with that, as religion is personal to the adherent and passes judgements on God as to why misfortune has hit others and not them.

The point isn't about fault, but rather if god decided to intervene, why would he choose to spare a closet rather than actual lives and why would some consider this praise worthy? It's not an unreasonable question.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I am Consciousness and derive all my actions as Consciousness. There is no two to form a relationship.

To vague an egocentric claim to be meaningful. the likely reality, if the spiritual exists, all humanity is equality a part of this Consciousness.

Shantanu

To vague an egocentric claim to be meaningful. the likely reality, if the spiritual exists, all humanity is equality a part of this Consciousness.
It is egocentric to claim that. I am just stating facts without ulterior motives as I was responding to your comments directed at me.