• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite interpretation of Star Wars

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My favorite current interpretation of Star Wars is that while the Force may "will" things like Obi-Wan winning against Anakin Skywalker, and it probably "willed" the Jedi not having the presence and scope they did in letting the Sith take over... that both the Sith and Jedi have the Force wrong. I really like this explanation to explain away some of the non-overlookable flaws and poor writing by characters that are Jedi and characters that are Sith.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'd like to talk a bit more on the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin battle. I do think by Revenge of the Sith, Anakin had stronger Force power. Which is why you saw Obi-Wan make a strained face in a scene where they both projected Force powers at each other. While you can say Obi-Wan won because his plotting as a defensive Force user worked better, when you think about it... either he got lucky, or Anakin has spells of being dumb and did at the last of the battle, or the Force willed for Obi-Wan to win. Unless Obi-Wan gained some sort of near immortality power earlier on.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Of course, it's just me trying to make sense of a nonsensical movie where Mace Windu was somehow a stronger fighter than 900 year old Yoda who had a good grasp of the Force, and Darth Sidious is surprisingly young actually, probably about Mace Windu's age, maybe a little older.... but acts like a stiff old man even in the prequels.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
A kind of unrelated to this thread thing, but still cool... Count Dooku was a strong fighter with the lightsaber. When Anakin defeated him, what he did was push Dooku's hands down as Dooku was about to strike. So Anakin never actually outdueled Dooku with a lightsaber despite defeating him.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'd like to talk a bit more on the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin battle. I do think by Revenge of the Sith, Anakin had stronger Force power. Which is why you saw Obi-Wan make a strained face in a scene where they both projected Force powers at each other. While you can say Obi-Wan won because his plotting as a defensive Force user worked better, when you think about it... either he got lucky, or Anakin has spells of being dumb and did at the last of the battle, or the Force willed for Obi-Wan to win. Unless Obi-Wan gained some sort of near immortality power earlier on.

Well perhaps the dark side is not equal to the light side, and Anakin wasn't a Jedi knight just yet; Just raw untamed force power. So maybe the wisdom of the Jedi was stronger than the foolishness and deceived Anakin. Or did I forget something about Anakin?

It wasn't until their second meeting that obi-wan was overmatched physically, and Vader was more of a master of the dark side.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Well perhaps the dark side is not equal to the light side, and Anakin wasn't a Jedi knight just yet; Just raw untamed force power. So maybe the wisdom of the Jedi was stronger than the foolishness and deceived Anakin. Or did I forget something about Anakin?

It wasn't until their second meeting that obi-wan was overmatched physically, and Vader was more of a master of the dark side.

Couple of things though...

Anakin was a Jedi Knight in Revenge of the Sith and Obi-Wan a Jedi Master. However Anakin, if he was favored by the Jedi Council, would have probably already been a Jedi Master.

While Darth Vader was older and more cautious than Anakin, Anakin lost a lot of his Force power and potential after the battle with Obi-Wan due to the Force tending to require human bodies. While General Grievous was part robot, and had some enhanced physical abilities, he also had a beating heart etc. But he was less powerful than someone like Dooku. If he wasn't, Obi-Wan probably couldn't have outmatched him. When Obi-Wan lost to Darth Vader, it was part of the Qui-Gon Jinn plan to be immortal that was taught to Yoda and then Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan disappeared, becoming I guess "one with the Force" to help Luke.

Another indication that Darth Vader wasn't that strong was that Luke beat him. And it goes with the theory that Darth Vader already being handicapped, Yoda and Obi-Wan plotted the whole thing with Luke or Leia overthrowing the Empire and maybe even the stuff about Vader :)

Now there was a scene in Rogue One where Darth Vader looked incredibly powerful. But the context was that he was fighting his very best and fighting wildly because otherwise the Rebels would get the Death Star plans :)

But is Darth Vader more powerful than Anakin? Maybe. Though I think Sidious and Yoda were higher level Force users :)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Couple of things though...

Anakin was a Jedi Knight in Revenge of the Sith and Obi-Wan a Jedi Master. However Anakin, if he was favored by the Jedi Council, would have probably already been a Jedi Master.

While Darth Vader was older and more cautious than Anakin, Anakin lost a lot of his Force power and potential after the battle with Obi-Wan due to the Force tending to require human bodies. While General Grievous was part robot, and had some enhanced physical abilities, he also had a beating heart etc. But he was less powerful than someone like Dooku. If he wasn't, Obi-Wan probably couldn't have outmatched him. When Obi-Wan lost to Darth Vader, it was part of the Qui-Gon Jinn plan to be immortal that was taught to Yoda and then Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan disappeared, becoming I guess "one with the Force" to help Luke.

Another indication that Darth Vader wasn't that strong was that Luke beat him. And it goes with the theory that Darth Vader already being handicapped, Yoda and Obi-Wan plotted the whole thing with Luke or Leia overthrowing the Empire and maybe even the stuff about Vader :)

Now there was a scene in Rogue One where Darth Vader looked incredibly powerful. But the context was that he was fighting his very best and fighting wildly because otherwise the Rebels would get the Death Star plans :)

But is Darth Vader more powerful than Anakin? Maybe. Though I think Sidious and Yoda were higher level Force users :)

That makes a lot of sense. What one loses in strength due to age, they must compensate with wisdom and knowledge though. Being deceived would make a force user weaker. And since the Jedi and Sith were not fully well versed in the ways of the force with yet a lot to discover, virtually anything can happen. So foolishness and deception are major weaknesses. Wisdom and knowledge major strengths.

It seems like wisdom and knowledge trump's raw power. And I think originally the force was meant for good, yet the Sith found perverse ways to gain power over the force.

I almost totally disregard, 7,8, and 9. Or try to make other story of it.

Maybe the force itself is naive, and both sides a lot to learn to maximize their power and ability.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I like the interpretation where Jar Jar Binks is actually a secret Sith Lord pulling the strings behind the scenes all the while presenting the illusion that he's just a harmless, bumbling fool. :D

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My favorite current interpretation of Star Wars is that while the Force may "will" things like Obi-Wan winning against Anakin Skywalker, and it probably "willed" the Jedi not having the presence and scope they did in letting the Sith take over... that both the Sith and Jedi have the Force wrong. I really like this explanation to explain away some of the non-overlookable flaws and poor writing by characters that are Jedi and characters that are Sith.
Did you see the Clones episode where Anakin was taken to another dimension to meet Father, Sister and Brother? The brother and sister are twins with tendencies towards opposite sides of the force. The brother is strong in the dark side, the sister in the bright side, the father in balance. The brother tries not to be taken over by the dark, but he is eventually driven mad with power. The sister is powerful in the bright side. I blame the sister. I think what happens is that the sister is too light, too good, too perfect. She tries to turn the force to all creative, all bright. This is a mistake on her part and is what forces her brother to become stronger with the dark side. The force balances itself against her.

Similarly the Jedi are responsible for the strength of the Sith. They try to make the force 'Good', and the force rallies against them. It can't be all good and needs balance, so the Jedi are actually attacking the force. That's my theory.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you see the Clones episode where Anakin was taken to another dimension to meet Father, Sister and Brother? The brother and sister are twins with tendencies towards opposite sides of the force. The brother is strong in the dark side, the sister in the bright side, the father in balance. The brother tries not to be taken over by the dark, but he is eventually driven mad with power. The sister is powerful in the bright side. I blame the sister. I think what happens is that the sister is too light, too good, too perfect. She tries to turn the force to all creative, all bright. This is a mistake on her part and is what forces her brother to become stronger with the dark side. The force balances itself against her.

Similarly the Jedi are responsible for the strength of the Sith. They try to make the force 'Good', and the force rallies against them. It can't be all good and needs balance, so the Jedi are actually attacking the force. That's my theory.
The concept of balance and asymmetry in dark and light are the reason that supervillains exist in the comic book universes.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Good reply. But I have to ask... who are the scriptwriters in our lives... politicians, kodiak bears, and lawyers?
Teachers both secular and religious are the script writers. The Untaught are power, and power without form is destructive. Energy without form dissipates. It must be taught. Power must be directed, its destruction turned into work.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Teachers both secular and religious are the script writers. The Untaught are power, and power without form is destructive. Energy without form dissipates. It must be taught. Power must be directed, its destruction turned into work.

Only a pesky McDonalds 4 PC chicken nugget lover who gets a 5 PC by accident and gives one to a plastic pink yard flamingo and burns his thin lip on the sweet and sour sauce and dips his fries in his chocolate milkshake to cool it because otherwise he'd have to skip school for the week, deals in absolutes!

(Bet you could never guess my teachers had a difficult time with me.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I sometimes wondered if the Force was in control of R2D2.

What I could never figure out was, when Luke and Obi-Wan first arrive at the Mos Isley Cantina, Luke encounters a couple of people at the bar who don't like him. He hadn't done anything to them, and for no reason at all, they don't like him. They must have been under the influence of the Dark Side.

LToeeVZc0aeGljRI3k2YGOI2Rj_XJPmgETYgILfEeXQ.jpg