• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my church voted on same sex marriages

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Which church is this?

Surely religious doctrine cannot be changed so easily

Reactions: KW

KW

My congregation recently had a.vote to decide whether or not we want our church to conduct same sex weddings

I voted for same sex weddings

The results were:

For - 29 votes
Against - 2 votes
Abstentions - 2 votes

So we now do same sex marriages!

Sounds like a made up church.

No authority.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My congregation recently had a.vote to decide whether or not we want our church to conduct same sex weddings

I voted for same sex weddings

The results were:

For - 29 votes
Against - 2 votes
Abstentions - 2 votes

So we now do same sex marriages!
Well, the Swedish Lutheran church has been happily celebrating same sex marriages for a while now. More and more Protestant and evangelical churches in Europe are in favour of gay marriages reframed by the church itself.

Ciao

- viole

KW

Well, the Swedish Lutheran church has been happily celebrating same sex marriages for a while now. More and more Protestant and evangelical churches in Europe are in favour of gay marriages reframed by the church itself.

Ciao

- viole

Yes. Made up churches with no authority.

Truth is not determined by a democratic vote.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sounds like a made up church.

No authority.

As far as i am aware all churches are made up, including that original made up in the the 1st century.

There are now close to 50,000 of them, each one believing slightly differently, which one has authority over the others?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ciao

- viole
And to go along with what you post here, the charge that it's a "made up" church is likely bogus since some of the Scandinavian Lutheran denominations can trace their leadership back to the Apostles as a byproduct of apostolic succession.

KW

As far as i am aware all churches are made up, including that original made up in the the 1st century.

There are now close to 50,000 of them, each one believing slightly differently, which one has authority over the others?

For Christians, who believe Jesus is God, his decisions are not "made up".

Jesus started a single Church.

KW

You call the official Lutheran church in Sweden made up?
If yes, aren't they all?

Ciao

- viole

Yes.

All those who split from the Church Jesus started are made up.

Jesus only started one Church.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes.

All those who split from the Church Jesus started are made up.

Jesus only started one Church.
So, you mean the Catholic Church is the only not invented one? Now, is that so? The only one with some authority?

Isn't there really another Christian Church less morally discredited than the Catholic Church? If that is the case, poor Christians :(

Ciao

- viole

KW

Nor is it determined by the arbitrary superstitions of ancient primitives.

If you deny God exists, then your view on this issue is not relevant.

If God does exist, then truth is determined by God.

For Christians, who believe Jesus is God, we have his revelation as a guide.

KW

So, you mean the Catholic Church is the only not invented one? Now, is that so? The only one with some authority?

Isn't there really another Christian Church less morally discredited than the Catholic Church? If that is the case, poor Christians :(

Ciao

- viole

Yes. Jesus only started one Church. The Church has stood firm for centuries. Individual sinners in the Church don't negate Church authority or teaching. Even the apostles were sinners.

The Church is the largest charity in the world. Go to the worst places on earth and you will find Catholics feeding the hungry and caring for the sick.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes. Jesus only started one Church. The Church has stood firm for centuries. Individual sinners in the Church don't negate Church authority or teaching. Even the apostles were sinners.

The Church is the largest charity in the world. Go to the worst places on earth and you will find Catholics feeding the hungry and caring for the sick.
Well, the Catholic Church is famous for loving poverty.

But again, here counts as extremely morally discredited. And that is why everybody is leaving it. And rightly so. I mean, what they have been doing is nothing short of disgusting.

Ciao

- viole