• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My buddy (dog) is dying

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I can't stop crying for my bud, he's old and lived a long life but I know I'm not ever going to see him happy again.

His entire life I just sat on a computer, and talked to him once in a while... I'm such a bad master. I feel so guilty, I want to see him smile one last time but he is in pain and can't play ever...

Just one last walk is what I pray for, to all the Gods, but it's not going to come true, unless a super miracle happens.

He's still alive for a while, but he's living in an unenjoyable life. All he can do right now is sleep or sit... He has to eat soft food.

Getting a pet is the best thing ever, but near the end you have to either sell them or see them die... It's very painful.

Can I get prayers for my dog? I very much appreciate it.

croak

Trickster
You shouldn't feel guilty. He's still around, at least for the moment, so I say sit with him when you can and stroke and pet him... I'm sure he would appreciate the attention.

I hope he doesn't suffer too much, and passes peacefully. My thoughts are with you at this time.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I can't stop crying for my bud, he's old and lived a long life but I know I'm not ever going to see him happy again.

His entire life I just sat on a computer, and talked to him once in a while... I'm such a bad master. I feel so guilty, I want to see him smile one last time but he is in pain and can't play ever...

Just one last walk is what I pray for, to all the Gods, but it's not going to come true, unless a super miracle happens.

He's still alive for a while, but he's living in an unenjoyable life. All he can do right now is sleep or sit... He has to eat soft food.

Getting a pet is the best thing ever, but near the end you have to either sell them or see them die... It's very painful.

My best dog passed Sunday night; I will pray for your dog along with him.

Yukon

I feel bad for your sorrow but a dog is just an animal. I know he's cute and you will miss him but get another dog and soon he will replace the one you lost.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I feel bad for your sorrow but a dog is just an animal. I know he's cute and you will miss him but get another dog and soon he will replace the one you lost.
Hi, Yukon -

In my experience, no new dog is ever a replacement for the one lost. They are all individuals, and my relationship with each one is different; just as a widower remarrying isn't simply "replacing the lost wife".

I can say that one car has been a replacement for another, or one house a replacement for another. I don't really find that to be true with animate living beings that share my life.

Noaidi

slow walker
The Sum of Awe and Engyo:

It's difficult to know what to say, here. I've had a much loved dog (Pepper) die through cancer, and I currently have a lab (Cassie) who's almost 10. My dogs have ranked amongst my best friends, and have been with me through some rough times.
What I focus on is what they have given me and what I have done for them in return.
My thoughts go out to you both.

:candle:

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I've never owned a pet, so I don't know what it's like to lose one. I did watch my father die a week after I turned 14, though, so I know what it's like to lose someone close to you.

What comforted me when my father died was the knowledge that his pain was finally over. You described your dog as being in terrible pain. Soon he will no longer suffer that pain.

Death is an inevitable part of the circle of life. Though our loved ones may leave us in the flesh, they'll always live on in our hearts and memories. Cherish your fondest memories with your dog and never forget them.

I'm an atheist, so I don't pray. But you and your dog will certainly be in my thoughts and you have my deepest condolences.

GabrielWithoutWings

A dog isn't 'just an animal'. Your dog can be the only friend you have when the whole world is coming down on you. If my Darla died, I'd be so heartsick I'd probably miss a few days of work.

Yukon

I agree Engyo but it will soften the blow.

Hi, Yukon -

In my experience, no new dog is ever a replacement for the one lost. They are all individuals, and my relationship with each one is different; just as a widower remarrying isn't simply "replacing the lost wife".

I can say that one car has been a replacement for another, or one house a replacement for another. I don't really find that to be true with animate living beings that share my life.

My dog died a few years ago and I still her miss her. A constant if someone daft companion she nonetheless was one of the family and as such it was painful to see her once endless stamina fail and her sharp senses dull but she never lost her puppyish excitement whenever I came down the stairs in the morning or walked through the door.

Even now my throat tightens and my eyes moisten when I think of her. The book, and to a lesser degree the film, Marley & Me brings me to tears because like Marley my dog was a dopey but irresistably lovable labrador and I see alot of her in Marley's escapades and eventual decline.

I did feel some guilt after she had died when I thought back to all those times when she wanted to go for a walk and I couldn't be bothered because thats precious time together I missed out on. The daft thing was that when I was out down the woods with her I really enjoyed myself so why I didn't take her out more often I don't know.

Those who say that dogs are just animals either didn't form a strong bond with their dog or have never owned one. I believe my dog deserves a fair amount of credit for my love of animals because she brought them further into my moral circle.

I won't pray because I'm not religious but you're both in my thoughts.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
My best dog passed Sunday night; I will pray for your dog along with him.

Sorry to hear that Brother. One of the hardest things ever :(

Pets can teach us a lot.

When My Wife and I's cat was 16 she had kidney failure and we had to make the choice between letting her toxify and die slowly or to put her to sleep.
Well, we tried a dialysis treatment to see if it'd take hold but it didn't.

So we were left with the other choice.

She spent her whole life in Selfless devotion to us, and all we had to do was return the favour... that is.... pass on the lesson she taught us.

She taught us a whole lot about love, good times, and how to be a good member of our family, like going to the door to greet people :D

That day, she also taught us a final lesson about impermanence.
Before we left her, I curled her, limp and lifeless body up into her favourite sleeping position and bowed deeply to her 3 times. I felt honoured to have known her.

And I truly believe it doesn't hurt, unless there were good times.

So try not to hurt from regret and take some extra time with your buddy and let it know you love it and are honoured to have had 'em in your life.
Awareness is death is practice for Living well.

It's been nearly a year now and every time I find a piece of her hair on a blanket (since she was a long hair there are plenty) it's a little easier than the last one.
Pain and loss takes time, and as we get to know it, how we deal with it changes.

:namaste
SageTree