• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mutah, the so called "temporary marriage". Whats the problem?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am opening this thread not to discuss the theological validity of the Mutah marriage or the invalidity and the strife of both sides of the fence.

From a social point of view, and simple logic, whats the problem with Mutah? Mutah is a temporary marriage that is supposed to initiate a relationship between two people, but not as sexual exploitation of either one, and to be done under a consensual contract.

In a world where dating and sexual relations are quite normal, whats the problem with this idea?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I am opening this thread not to discuss the theological validity of the Mutah marriage or the invalidity and the strife of both sides of the fence.

From a social point of view, and simple logic, whats the problem with Mutah? Mutah is a temporary marriage that is supposed to initiate a relationship between two people, but not as sexual exploitation of either one, and to be done under a consensual contract.

In a world where dating and sexual relations are quite normal, whats the problem with this idea?
'What's the point of it?' is a more pertinent question

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sooo... I come from a place of pure ignorance, and 5 minutes of research on wikipedia.

It seems this kind of marriage is often utilized by married men. Are the wives often made aware of the second marriages these men have?

Otherwise, the whole thing seems like a way to utilize a backdoor exploit for a sexually repressed society. This style of marriage wouldn't even need to exist if the culture didn't punish folks for just wanting to go out and have sex.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It seems this kind of marriage is often utilized by married men. Are the wives often made aware of the second marriages these men have?

Well, maybe married men use it. Married men go to prostitutes, have affairs, etc etc too. So that's not relevant to the subject. Also you seem to have missed the point of the OP where it states clearly that it is not for sexual exploitation. People can misuse anything, but the thread is to discuss the idea and whats.

The idea is for unmarried people. Not for married people.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Well, maybe married men use it. Married men go to prostitutes, have affairs, etc etc too. So that's not relevant to the subject. Also you seem to have missed the point of the OP where it states clearly that it is not for sexual exploitation. People can misuse anything, but the thread is to discuss the idea and whats.

Ok. What's the point of a temporary marriage if sex isn't the central reason for doing it?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
How did you mix up "sex" and "sexual exploitation"?

Ohhhh whoops! Haven't had my coffee yet. :D

If no one gets exploited, meh; I don't care. Seems like an extra step for unecessary rules, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, then. I don't see how it would be any more exploitative than if 2 people were not married. One benefit to it would be that there would be some kind of record for who the person was with last, assuming something bad happened (like a client killing a prostitute).

Nothing really, other than it often often tends to be a cover for rank hypocrisy.

Not far from my neck of the woods (pre-covid at least) there was an industry catering to a stream of Arab sex tourists who would 'marry' a prostitute or 3 for the week then 'divorce' them before popping off home.

Was so common that cafe's often had Arabic language menus.

Consenting adults can do what they like as far as I'm concerned, but I'm pretty confident most of these chaps wouldn't have been too enamoured about their sister 'marrying' a chap for similar reasons.

Plenty of 'respectable' folk here have a secret 2nd or 3rd 'wife' too, often a golf caddy or a karaoke hostess, etc.

Basically it's often about relatively wealthy men getting to **** around while remaining on their sanctimonious moral high-horse for others. So it's not the 'nikah', but the hypocrisy that bothers me. No hypocrisy, no problem.

InvestigateTruth

In my view, Mutah is a religious prostitution. Nothing more or less.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I think it's a great idea. I see no problems here, only advantages (for people who like to live a dharmic lifestyle; brings more honesty and truthfulness IMO)

Even in the West, with the #MeToo, they start talking about having sex after signing a contract

firedragon

Veteran Member
Not far from my neck of the woods (pre-covid at least) there was an industry catering to a stream of Arab sex tourists who would 'marry' a prostitute or 3 for the week then 'divorce' them before popping off home.

So that's your whole thesis? Great. Thanks.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Even in the West, with the #MeToo, they start talking about having sex after signing a contract

Contract. Uh oh. I think many in this same thread would think that's prostitution. Without contract is fine. Contract is prostitution by default to many.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Ohhhh whoops! Haven't had my coffee yet. :D

If no one gets exploited, meh; I don't care. Seems like an extra step for unecessary rules, but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, then. I don't see how it would be any more exploitative than if 2 people were not married. One benefit to it would be that there would be some kind of record for who the person was with last, assuming something bad happened (like a client killing a prostitute).

Interesting. Thanks.

InvestigateTruth

You have come up with your own definition of Mutah. In Shia Islam, a married man can also have temporary wives as well.

Well, think about it. If a man can have Four wives in Islam, it means, after the man got the first wife, he was allowed to have another wife. So, why can he also not have a temporary wife as well after being married? Unless you are coming up with your own Mutah. Not the Mutah practiced by some Muslim men. Moreover, why a woman cannot have four husband's, as well as some temporary husband's?