• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims the least educated in the world?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I did a little poking around in some academic studies. And yeah, that was about as much fun as it sounded...

Anyway, main thing I was looking for was correlation between GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and literacy. Turns out there is a correlation, but it's between PGDP (Per Capita Gross Domestic Product) which actually makes a lot more sense than my initial searches.

For comparison...

OECD countries (2008 PGDP figures in USD)
Australia.........Literacy 99.0..........PGDP 39148.0
Canada.........Literacy 99.0..........PGDP 38883.0
Israel.............Literacy 97.1..........PGDP 27679.0
Korea...........Literacy 99.0..........PGDP 26877.0
Mexico...........Literacy 92.8..........PGDP 15291.0
Chile.............Literacy 96.5..........PGDP 14568.0

Arab Countries (2009 PGDP figures in USD)
Qatar..............Literacy 93.1........PGDP 68871.0
UAE...............Literacy 90.0..........PGDP 46856.0
Kuwait...........Literacy 94.5..........PGDP 31482.0
Oman.............Literacy 86.7..........PGDP 18013.0
Lebanon..........Literacy 89.6.........PGDP 8706.0
Jordan.............Literacy 92.2..........PGDP 3828.0

Buggered if I know what conclusions to draw from all this, and certainly nothing definitive can be said, but to try and summarise a couple of thoughts...

Literacy rates of 90.00% plus are common to both OECD countries and Arab countries with a PGDP rate of 19500.0 USD or greater.

OECD countries with PGDP under 19500 still achieve literacy rates of over 90.00% in all cases except for one. Examples of this are Mexico, Poland and Chile. No OECD country has a PGDP of less than 14568 (Chile).

Arab Countries between 19500 and 14568 are as follows;
Bahrain.............Literacy 90.8..........PGDP 19455.0
Oman...............Literacy 86.7..........PGDP 18013.0
KSA.................Literacy 85.5..........PGDP 14486.0

Jordan (as listed earlier in this post) is something of an outlier. It has very HIGH literacy rates (92.2) when considering it's very LOW PGDP (3828.0). Be interested if anyone has a theory on what that would be the case?

The only OECD country which fails to achieve 90.0% Literacy is Turkey (88.7%)

On the face of it, I'd say there is a consistently lower literacy rate in Arab countries of comparable PGDP when compared to OECD countries, of something like 5%. Not night and day, but enough to suggest it's not mere happenstance.

Whether it's religion, culture, history, etc, no way of telling from this data.

Sorry, should have linked to source for the figures used...
http://www.bjournal.co.uk/paper/BJASS_14_2/BJASS_14_02_02.pdf

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Just on the question of Jordanian literacy, I did some quick Wiki searching, and this seems relevant...

Basic Education is a 10-year compulsory and free level of education. Study books are standard books distributed by the Ministry of Education. Education is compulsory for all through the age of fifteen.

More than half of the Jordan population is below the age of 30 years. About 42.2 percent are 14 years or younger, whereas 31.4 percent fall between 15–29 years of age; almost one-third of the Jordanians are enrolled in educational facilities. As of 2007/2008 the gross primary enrollment rate is 95.7 percent which is higher than the regional average of 93 percent. Jordan also ensures a high level of gender parity in access to basic services; the gender parity index for gross enrollment ratio in primary education is 0.98,[11] better than other Arab countries. It is also one of the few Arab countries that have very small disparity in primary school attendance rates among urban and rural areas.[12] This is mainly because public financing for basic schooling is more pro-poor than that for any other education level.[2]

Schools in Jordan have two main categories, public and private. The private education sector accommodates more than 31.14 percent[13] of the student population in the capital of Jordan, Amman. This sector is still heavily taxed, up to 25%++, although it takes a high burden off the government of the Kingdom, which makes school fees relatively high, starting at $1000, and going up to $7000. These values for private education fees are extremely high when compared to the average family incomes.

Taken from : Education in Jordan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

But

Why divide the world into religious barricades?

As the OP/title of the thread suggests.

Regards

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There is also a lot of good information here;
unstats | Millennium Indicators

IN particular, it lists the relative participation of females in Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education.

(eg. Primary : unstats | Millennium Indicators)

Cross that with countries religious splits, and it would be possible to get some pretty interesting figures that might actually inform this argument.

Religious figures of that type are available here : WikiProgress Statistics

But I'm gonna leave the maths exercise to someone else, if they actually want to see what the figures show.
If you'd all prefer to stick to name-calling without meaningfully looking at the topic though, be my guest. I'm a little knackered, and I still have to do my income tax return (which I was avoiding via this little research project)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I did a little poking around in some academic studies. And yeah, that was about as much fun as it sounded...

Anyway, main thing I was looking for was correlation between GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and literacy. Turns out there is a correlation, but it's between PGDP (Per Capita Gross Domestic Product) which actually makes a lot more sense than my initial searches.

For comparison...

OECD countries (2008 PGDP figures in USD)
Australia.........Literacy 99.0..........PGDP 39148.0
Canada.........Literacy 99.0..........PGDP 38883.0
Israel.............Literacy 97.1..........PGDP 27679.0
Korea...........Literacy 99.0..........PGDP 26877.0
Mexico...........Literacy 92.8..........PGDP 15291.0
Chile.............Literacy 96.5..........PGDP 14568.0

Arab Countries (2009 PGDP figures in USD)
Qatar..............Literacy 93.1........PGDP 68871.0
UAE...............Literacy 90.0..........PGDP 46856.0
Kuwait...........Literacy 94.5..........PGDP 31482.0
Oman.............Literacy 86.7..........PGDP 18013.0
Lebanon..........Literacy 89.6.........PGDP 8706.0
Jordan.............Literacy 92.2..........PGDP 3828.0

Buggered if I know what conclusions to draw from all this, and certainly nothing definitive can be said, but to try and summarise a couple of thoughts...

Literacy rates of 90.00% plus are common to both OECD countries and Arab countries with a PGDP rate of 19500.0 USD or greater.

OECD countries with PGDP under 19500 still achieve literacy rates of over 90.00% in all cases except for one. Examples of this are Mexico, Poland and Chile. No OECD country has a PGDP of less than 14568 (Chile).

Arab Countries between 19500 and 14568 are as follows;
Bahrain.............Literacy 90.8..........PGDP 19455.0
Oman...............Literacy 86.7..........PGDP 18013.0
KSA.................Literacy 85.5..........PGDP 14486.0

Jordan (as listed earlier in this post) is something of an outlier. It has very HIGH literacy rates (92.2) when considering it's very LOW PGDP (3828.0). Be interested if anyone has a theory on what that would be the case?

The only OECD country which fails to achieve 90.0% Literacy is Turkey (88.7%)

On the face of it, I'd say there is a consistently lower literacy rate in Arab countries of comparable PGDP when compared to OECD countries, of something like 5%. Not night and day, but enough to suggest it's not mere happenstance.

Whether it's religion, culture, history, etc, no way of telling from this data.

Sorry, should have linked to source for the figures used...
http://www.bjournal.co.uk/paper/BJASS_14_2/BJASS_14_02_02.pdf
Nice research. Let me add something that will falsely add to Arab numbers here, and a few other notes.

1. Most of the traditional oil reserves have been in the middle east. That would increase GDP without having a intellectual cause.
2. Israel spends more for defense per capita than any nation in history.
3. Israel is almost barren of the natural resources mentioned above.

Just some points to ponder.

vskipper

Nice research. Let me add something that will falsely add to Arab numbers here, and a few other notes.

1. Most of the traditional oil reserves have been in the middle east. That would increase GDP without having a intellectual cause.
2. Israel spends more for defense per capita than any nation in history.

Just some points to ponder.

1. Wrong. Many oil reserves are from South America & Russia. And you fail to equate in the petrodollar or the continual loans from the U.S. with stiff interests

2. Technically spending Israel spends very little on anything as most of Israels GDP comes from U.S. funding especially their military defense

3. Easy to be barren of resources & flourishing when numerous countries are financially supporting you.

outhouse

Atheistically
1. Wrong. Many oil reserves are from South America & Russia. And you fail to equate in the petrodollar or the continual loans from the U.S. with stiff interests

2. Technically spending Israel spends very little on anything as most of Israels GDP comes from U.S. funding especially their military defense

3. Easy to be barren of resources & flourishing when numerous countries are financially supporting you.

yet in context he is right. Your points are valid though

YOU cannot get around this

outhouse

Atheistically

Is it not a hate-mongering topic?

Regards

Something you may not have the intellect to understand but here goes.

The religion has to many illiterate people, and to many terrorist.

Do you want to address the problem and fix it?

OR ignore it and hope it gets better with magic or prayer?

Does allah hate his people? that the sectarianism violence and muslim on muslim murders are the greatest threat to muslims today?

I don't expect an honest or straight forward answer, just excuses or messenger attacking.

outhouse

Atheistically

Then what have you done to improve Muslims in education.

Regards

You rely on others to fix your own problems? :facepalm:

No wonder they are dropping bombs on some muslims today :facepalm:

I knew a straight forward answer was impossible, im not sure any muslim can answer it straight forward, its probably a cultural thing

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And how i can speak English without memorizing the meaning of its words and the writing of its irregular words.

Language acquisition is an example of a domain that needs more memorization than normal - correct.

But when we consider topics like: math, all the sciences (biology, geology, chemistry, physics and so on), history (yes, even history), composition, diagnosis, problem solving, sociology, anthropology and on and on, memorization should be a small part of a curriculum.

Ask your self honestly how many details you remember from a science class you took 10 or more years ago? If it was a good science class, the real point was NOT to memorize facts, but to learn larger principles.

As an educator I find it astounding that anyone can seriously claim that society has learned nothing about how to educate in the last 1400 years.

outhouse

Atheistically
As an educator I find it astounding that anyone can seriously claim that society has learned nothing about how to educate in the last 1400 years.

And you wonder why a culture that lives mythology is behind the rest of the world in knowledge and education.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

Is it not a hate-mongering topic?

Regards
It's factual nature and it's use are two independent issues. It can be used for hate even if true. It is certainly relevant and I have seen no reason to believe hate is involved.

outhouse

Atheistically
If muslims are not all following fanaticism

Why are terrorist recruiting and converting good muslims with 50$ and a cell phone?

They are becoming terrorist for 50$ and a cell phone. Isnt that considered whoring out your soul ??

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Where were you taught that we do not know how to educate? Don't answer, just a little irony.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
No wonder they are dropping bombs on some muslims today :facepalm:

[/quote]

it's same you dropping always hatefull speech on ALL the muslims , how ever that represent your "kind" heart , you blamed terrorists for their black heart and blocked mind !!!!and seems that you had the same ideology, just different beliefs and labbels .

I advise you to fix your self first ,then ask the muslims to fix them selfs .

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Response: Being intelligent does not come from studying to be a teacher so your claim is invalid and an insult to all academics. I am a certified academic, so I know the discipline and reasoning as to what makes an intelligent person excel above the norm. When you have the same credential, then we can debate education.
Fatihah, Is that you? So, in essence, you are a professional student?

1robin

Christian/Baptist

it's same you dropping always hatefull speech on ALL the muslims , how ever that represent your "kind" heart , you blamed terrorists for their black heart and blocked mind !!!!and seems that you had the same ideology, just different beliefs and labbels .

I advise you to fix your self first ,then ask the muslims to fix them selfs .[/QUOTE]

That is the biggest copout in human history. Anyone says anything inconveniently true about anyone and it is the same old intolerant, persecuted, he is a big meanie, line uttered by men for a thousand generations to distract others.