• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims Demonstrate with Yellow Star of David

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From ynetnews ...
Anger as Muslims demonstrate with yellow Star of David

Muslim protest against discrimination in Switzerland uses Holocaust symbol; move condemned by Jewish groups as well as some Muslim groups. With one newspaper claiming move was 'simply idiotic'

Ynet Published: 11.02.11, 09:21 / Israel News

Jewish leaders from around the world were enraged when Muslims protesting in Switzerland last weekend used the yellow Star of David symbol as part of their demonstration against discrimination.

The JTA reported Saturday that 2,000 people showed up for the October 29 demonstration in Bern initiated by the Islamic Central Council of Switzerland, a conservative Islamic organization, to protest anti-Muslim discrimination.

Protesters wore a yellow star sticker printed with the word "Muslim" reminiscent of the one that the Nazis forced Jews to wear during the Third Reich. Some protesters constructed a plastic model of a mosque with minarets, which are banned in Switzerland.

Edith Bino, president of the Jewish community in Bern, told the Basler Times that she found the use of the yellow star "so obviously wrong that it could not be taken seriously." And Yves Kugelmann, editor in chief of the Jewish newspaper Tachles, said he found the choice of symbols "simply idiotic."

"It is regrettable when legitimate concerns are raised using false comparisons," Kugelmann told the Basler Times. He said that discrimination against Muslims is a theme that must be taken seriously in Switzerland, "but not in this cheap way."

The choice of symbolism irked Muslim groups as well: Two mainstream Muslim organizations reportedly stayed away from the demonstration as a result.

Nicolas Blancho, head of the Islamic Central Council, defended his choice of symbols, telling the Tages Anzeiger newspaper that "Muslims are treated as second-class citizens and are discriminated against, for example because they wear a headscarf or because of their name when they look for an apprenticeship or are looking for an apartment."

Among the speakers were British journalist Lauren Booth, sister-in-law of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair. Booth, who has converted to Islam and wears a veil, told demonstrators she sensed that Bern citizens had glared at her as she passed them on the street.
The choice of symbolism irks the hell out of me as well.

What I find more irksome, however, is the likelihood that the Jewish community was not fully involved in protesting anti-Muslim discrimination. Had that been the case, the insensitive use of symbolism would have likely died at inception. As Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel said: to be is to stand for. Had they only stood together ...

Flankerl

facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

And I think this doesnt belong here.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
**Mod Post**

This thread has been moved to European Politics

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
From ynetnews ...
It seems that many Muslims misjudge or fail to grasp the importance and place of the holocaust in Jewish, European or world history.

What I find more irksome, however, is the likelihood that the Jewish community was not fully involved in protesting anti-Muslim discrimination. Had that been the case, the insensitive use of symbolism would have likely died at inception. As Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel said: to be is to stand for. Had they only stood together ...
I don't know. don't you feel that as a community of seizable numbers, the Muslim communities of Europe should organize themselves in such a way that will prevent the kind of crisis we encounter whenever trivial and practically mundane social criticism takes place, such as political satire? or organize themselves in a way which is more in line with legal and social trends and acceptance such as protesting defamation or discrimination?
for years many French voices desire to use the French Jewish community as a role model for France's Muslims, but I think it is the Muslim community which needs to make the move towards integration into society.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Can that be said to be happening with, for example, Tariq Ramadan?
I'm sure we can say it has been happening with various scholars and intellectuals. not necessarily Tariq Ramadan. but by and large, the Muslim community is facing many challenges in Europe.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I don't know. don't you feel that as a community of seizable numbers, the Muslim communities of Europe should organize themselves in such a way that will prevent the kind of crisis we encounter whenever trivial and practically mundane social criticism takes place, such as political satire? or organize themselves in a way which is more in line with legal and social trends and acceptance such as protesting defamation or discrimination?

I think Kugelmann summarized it best: "It is regrettable when legitimate concerns are raised using false comparisons, ..."

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I know no where in Europe where Muslims are fully integrated.
To some extent the same can be said about Jewish communities in some countries.

Both religious groups seem to have places where they concentrate in the UK. There are also places where neither live.

It is often the exception that proves the rule. In my particular location I know of no Jewish or Muslim households. However only twelve miles away there is a near majority of Muslims. they are certainly not downtrodden in those districts, but are still fairly extreme.

I find it strange that they would use a Nazi imposed symbol to highlight their grievances, but I don't think it is particularly insulting.
It is the nearest I have known a Muslim to get to political Satire.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I know no where in Europe where Muslims are fully integrated.
To some extent the same can be said about Jewish communities in some countries.
More information, por-favor?
The Jewish community of Europe is an old one. you should know, the UK had a Jewish prime minister. can you compare what you call integration to both communities?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
More information, por-favor?
The Jewish community of Europe is an old one. you should know, the UK had a Jewish prime minister. can you compare what you call integration to both communities?

There was a very prominent Muslim MP here a few years ago in Clare.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
From ynetnews ...

It is irksome to me too because it is our star. If Muslims want to use a symbol then why not use theirs?

The other issue I have is that you can't on the one hand deny the extent of the holocaust and the fact that Jews were forced to wear the stars. To deny genocide and then turn around and use the very symbol of our genocide.

The last issue I have is that much of the anti semitism coming out of Europe has at its core a Muslim influence and that is extremely violent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The other issue I have is that you can't on the one hand deny the extent of the holocaust and the fact that Jews were forced to wear the stars. To deny genocide and then turn around and use the very symbol of our genocide.
There are a few things wrong with this. First, I suspect very few holocaust deniers deny all antisemitic acts by the Third Reich.

But, far more important, it is simply wrong (and a smear) to equate Muslim with Holocaust denier.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
There are a few things wrong with this. First, I suspect very few holocaust deniers deny all antisemitic acts by the Third Reich.

But, far more important, it is simply wrong (and a smear) to equate Muslim with Holocaust denier.

It is wrong to equate all Muslims with holocaust deniers but there are certainly many who do. There are even heads of Muslim countries who do loud and clear.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is wrong to equate all Muslims with holocaust deniers ...
Yet you wrote ...
... clearly painting the demonstrators as holocaust deniers. That was either irresponsibly sloppy or very dishonest -- unless, of course, you have evidence linking them to that position.

... but there are certainly many who do.
Yes, and we have more than our share of right wing Islamophobic Jews, but neither point seems relevant to this thread.

There are even heads of Muslim countries who do loud and clear.
So now you wish to associate the demonstrators with Ahmadinejad? Do you really think this line of argument is ethical ... or Jewish?

Tamar

I am Jewish.
Really? I have never met such Muslims and I know very many Muslims.

The middle east is full of such deniers and Achmadinajad certainly is one who is very loud and vocal about it.

There are many who actually think the Protocol of the elders of zion are true.