• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multifaith spaces in hospital

How important is a spirituality for you when sick

• Total voters

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Plans are being put forward for a hospital rebuild in my city. It will provide high level health care for a population of more than 200,000. A question has arisen as to the most appropriate space for worship and meditation in a hospital for a developed nation that is multicultural and values inclusiveness. Our current hospital has a chapel. If another faith group wanted to use it, I presume it wouldn't be much of a problem. I often used go there during lunch breaks during the Baha'i month of fasting to pray and meditate. As I'm from a Christian background I'm very comfortable with Christian spaces and I have visited many temples and devotional spaces of other faith communities too. Not everyone feels that way of course, and a Jewish achitect I recently spoke to refuses to eat food that has been prepared in a church let alone set foot in one.

Circumstances have conspired against me, and I now find myself at the forefront of representing my cities interfaith council to consult with the hospital rebuild team. We have a seperate Abrahamic society who is now wanting to be involved. My Jewish architect friend has attractive ideas about having a combined outdoor and indoor space at the top of the hospital building and consulting with representatives of local indigenous peoples. My natural inclination is to have space everyone can make use of. Some Faith communities will naturally want their own space. There will be a very real issue of how much space will be available and we have already heard of an initial proposal is to reduce the current 120 m2 chapel down to 60 m2 which includes a seperate room for other spaces. Our interfaith council that includes all the major faiths unanimously disagrees with that idea. As well as reduced space there has been no consultation with the community.

I've never needed to be admitted to a hospital overnight but spent my initial ten years as a doctor working in hospitals. I've visited many sick friends, relatives as well as patients over the years. A spiritual dimension to health and healing is very important to some and not at all to others.

For the purposes of this thread I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences about a spiritual dimension to healing in your life. Have you ever made use of a chapel or a space in a hospital? Do you have any thoughts about what such a space looks like for the hospital servicing your community? What should it look like given the faith groups in your community?

Thank you in advance for your questions and comments.

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I would advise you not to engrave the word "chappel" anywhere near your chapel.

Creative spelling and low level dyslexia can be a barrier to succeeding at University level. It doesn't have to be.:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Plans are being put forward for a hospital rebuild in my city. It will provide high level health care for a population of more than 200,000. A question has arisen as to the most appropriate space for worship and meditation in a hospital for a developed nation that is multicultural and values inclusiveness. Our current hospital has a chapel. If another faith group wanted to use it, I presume it wouldn't be much of a problem. I often used go there during lunch breaks during the Baha'i month of fasting to pray and meditate. As I'm from a Christian background I'm very comfortable with Christian spaces and I have visited many temples and devotional spaces of other faith communities too. Not everyone feels that way of course, and a Jewish achitect I recently spoke to refuses to eat food that has been prepared in a church let alone set foot in one.

Circumstances have conspired against me, and I now find myself at the forefront of representing my cities interfaith council to consult with the hospital rebuild team. We have a seperate Abrahamic society who is now wanting to be involved. My Jewish architect friend has attractive ideas about having a combined outdoor and indoor space at the top of the hospital building and consulting with representatives of local indigenous peoples. My natural inclination is to have space everyone can make use of. Some Faith communities will naturally want their own space. There will be a very real issue of how much space will be available and we have already heard of an initial proposal is to reduce the current 120 m2 chapel down to 60 m2 which includes a seperate room for other spaces. Our interfaith council that includes all the major faiths unanimously disagrees with that idea. As well as reduced space there has been no consultation with the community.

I've never needed to be admitted to a hospital overnight but spent my initial ten years as a doctor working in hospitals. I've visited many sick friends, relatives as well as patients over the years. A spiritual dimension to health and healing is very important to some and not at all to others.

For the purposes of this thread I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and experiences about a spiritual dimension to healing in your life. Have you ever made use of a chapel or a space in a hospital? Do you have any thoughts about what such a space looks like for the hospital servicing your community? What should it look like given the faith groups in your community?

Nice. Wish I could see that.

When I had my brain surgery in 99, our university hospital had two chapels. One was interfaith, so it's basically a room, altar, and stain glass windows. Flowers etc. The other was a huge large type area. There was a huge jesus statue where my mother kept rubbing his toes:
johnhopkinsjesuestatue.jpg

She isn't Christian but I sometimes wonder. I don't have the big seizures now that my meds work one hundred percent to relieve me of them. I have the smaller seizures but sporadically. So, I guess the interpretation is up for grabs but it's a blessing nonetheless.

Outside of that, which was mainly where I spent most my medical years, I don't remember any other chapel. Most hospitals have them. Sometimes you can ask for a priest to come. Many people have spiritual counselors so the chapels help a lot with that.

I havent uses the chapel, though. Ever since I was Catholic, other churches seem to be missing something that I can't put a finger on. Some chapels have the bible to the side. Since we aren't very interfaith, you don't really see any other spiritual book. Maybe leaflets of muslim faith but never the Quran nor the Torah.

Since I live in such a christian area, I don't think our community would support faiths like Islam. It's tolerated but that's about it. The Church nearby has a lot of influence on community services they have if near their parish. A lot of Catholic protestors.

I'd like to see more attempts to incorporate non abrahamics religions in the chapel. Not saying put a Wiccan book here or a Veda book there. But make the space more interfaith friendly by asking each religious what they would like to make people of their faith comfortable. Here it's near to impossible. Maybe in a city area maybe. The hospital above is Catholic, I think.

2a847cda102e99ef21b8450644fd2423--christ-pictures-johns-hopkins.jpg

Or have a book shelf with a few text that maybe one of your peers can suggest.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I had lumbar surgery in Nov. 2015 and was in the hospital for a couple of days. At one point an older Indian man wearing a purple stole and carrying a Bible came into my room. He asked if he could be of service. I politely declined. There was a certain humor in this, that an Indian Christian was coming to minister to a white Hindu who was formerly Christian. :D

Riders

If I'm in pain in the hospital like I was last year I like to find time to meditate and listen to spiritual music.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Nice. Wish I could see that.

When I had my brain surgery in 99, our university hospital had two chapels. One was interfaith, so it's basically a room, altar, and stain glass windows. Flowers etc. The other was a huge large type area. There was a huge jesus statue where my mother kept rubbing his toes:
View attachment 25002

She isn't Christian but I sometimes wonder. I don't have the big seizures now that my meds work one hundred percent to relieve me of them. I have the smaller seizures but sporadically. So, I guess the interpretation is up for grabs but it's a blessing nonetheless.

Outside of that, which was mainly where I spent most my medical years, I don't remember any other chapel. Most hospitals have them. Sometimes you can ask for a priest to come. Many people have spiritual counselors so the chapels help a lot with that.

I havent uses the chapel, though. Ever since I was Catholic, other churches seem to be missing something that I can't put a finger on. Some chapels have the bible to the side. Since we aren't very interfaith, you don't really see any other spiritual book. Maybe leaflets of muslim faith but never the Quran nor the Torah.

Since I live in such a christian area, I don't think our community would support faiths like Islam. It's tolerated but that's about it. The Church nearby has a lot of influence on community services they have if near their parish. A lot of Catholic protestors.

I'd like to see more attempts to incorporate non abrahamics religions in the chapel. Not saying put a Wiccan book here or a Veda book there. But make the space more interfaith friendly by asking each religious what they would like to make people of their faith comfortable. Here it's near to impossible. Maybe in a city area maybe. The hospital above is Catholic, I think.

View attachment 25003

Or have a book shelf with a few text that maybe one of your peers can suggest.

The space looks beautiful and I immediately sense my comfort with being in such a space and other's discomfort given the statue of Jesus.

I'm pleased you no longer have major seizures.

I've done research earlier in the year looking at the work of Harold Koenig and the importance of spirituality in healing. He is a world leader in this area. Along with a chapel will be chaplaincy serves. These also need to adapt to an increasingly multicultural and interfaith reality.

Harold G. Koenig - Wikipedia

I hav included the stain glass window in my hospital's chapel.

225127_162315713827934_5490231_n.jpg

I'd really like to see our hospital seize an opportunity to have a faith that truly relfects our cities racial and faith diversity, rather than just fall back on the usual Christian chapel. One of our strongst advocates for such a change is a Christian in the interfaith council. He was instrumental in having a space set up for Muslims to pray in our cities university. However I can already sense that one major Christian denomination (Anglicans) are uncomfortable with such a direction.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I had lumbar surgery in Nov. 2015 and was in the hospital for a couple of days. At one point an older Indian man wearing a purple stole and carrying a Bible came into my room. He asked if he could be of service. I politely declined. There was a certain humor in this, that an Indian Christian was coming to minister to a white Hindu who was formerly Christian. :D

I understand the chaplaincy service in my hospital is very professional and hope would never use the occasional when another is at their most vulnerable to proselytize or convert. Instead they should facilitate you being connected to someone in your faith community if that's what you wanted. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand the chaplaincy service in my hospital is very professional and hope would never use the occasional when another is at their most vulnerable to proselytize or convert. Instead they should facilitate you being connected to someone in your faith community if that's what you wanted. :)

I thought it was thoughtful. But you are right that someone could be very vulnerable.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The space looks beautiful and I immediately sense my comfort with being in such a space and other's discomfort given the statue of Jesus.

I'm pleased you no longer have major seizures.

I've done research earlier in the year looking at the work of Harold Koenig and the importance of spirituality in healing. He is a world leader in this area. Along with a chapel will be chaplaincy serves. These also need to adapt to an increasingly multicultural and interfaith reality.

Harold G. Koenig - Wikipedia

I hav included the stain glass window in my hospital's chapel.

225127_162315713827934_5490231_n.jpg

I'd really like to see our hospital seize an opportunity to have a faith that truly relfects our cities racial and faith diversity, rather than just fall back on the usual Christian chapel. One of our strongst advocates for such a change is a Christian in the interfaith council. He was instrumental in having a space set up for Muslims to pray in our cities university. However I can already sense that one major Christian denomination (Anglicans) are uncomfortable with such a direction.

Yeah. I assume there would be a christian tug of war somewhere. In some cases it's respectful to have seperate areas. That or you can set up the chapel facing Mecca or a way to design it so christians won't feel uncomfortable. With the book shelf, you can put the Quran there. Get the non christian Torah. I was reading on a other site about the differences between the bible OT and the Torah. I never got an confirmation from the Jews here, though.Differences Between the Christian and Jewish Bible | Difference Between At our college, muslims faught for their place of worship. The school denied Catholics but has to set up the room as a "meditation hall" for legal issues. I think it's to say the college accepts other religions to promote it's way from Catholic influence in a protestant government. Lot of political issues.

Anyway, another thing is they had prayer rugs folded in the back with the Quran and the dates and times of prayers. How big will the chapel be?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah. I assume there would be a christian tug of war somewhere. In some cases it's respectful to have seperate areas. That or you can set up the chapel facing Mecca or a way to design it so christians won't feel uncomfortable. With the book shelf, you can put the Quran there. Get the non christian Torah. I was reading on a other site about the differences between the bible OT and the Torah. I never got an confirmation from the Jews here, though.Differences Between the Christian and Jewish Bible | Difference Between At our college, muslims faught for their place of worship. The school denied Catholics but has to set up the room as a "meditation hall" for legal issues. I think it's to say the college accepts other religions to promote it's way from Catholic influence in a protestant government. Lot of political issues.

Anyway, another thing is they had prayer rugs folded in the back with the Quran and the dates and times of prayers. How big will the chapel be?

My country has become quite secular so those overseeing the rebuild want to overall spac to be no more than 60 m2, down from the current 120 m2. That's unlikely to happen without the interfaith council and local iwi (Maori) haven't a say.

I can understand those designing and building our new hospital seeing the spiritual aspect as largely irrelevant. However there will be legal obligations to consult with iwi and key stakeholders.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My country has become quite secular so those overseeing the rebuild want to overall spac to be no more than 60 m2, down from the current 120 m2. That's unlikely to happen without the interfaith council and local iwi (Maori) haven't a say.

I can understand those designing and building our new hospital seeing the spiritual aspect as largely irrelevant. However there will be legal obligations to consult with iwi and key stakeholders.

Is it on iwi land? Here, tribes like cherokee that are recognized by the US keep their land but able to receive some help from the government. We can't build anything on their reservation land, so far I know. But unlike most countries, I assume, US doesn't have an intimate relationship with its locals. No permissions just build, type of thing.

60m2? I'm not good with conversions. What does the 60 stand for? We have feet and inches here.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it on iwi land? Here, tribes like cherokee that are recognized by the US keep their land but able to receive some help from the government. We can't build anything on their reservation land, so far I know. But unlike most countries, I assume, US doesn't have an intimate relationship with its locals. No permissions just build, type of thing.

60m2? I'm not good with conversions. What does the 60 stand for? We have feet and inches here.

It’s not on iwi land but commercially owned land near the centre of town. We’ve had a huge factory shut down recently so that’s presented a perfect opportunity as a prime location.

60 metres is about 197 feet.

It’s always important to consult with iwi as Maori make up about 15% of our country’s population. Their views will carry much more weight than an interfaith council.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The local hospital where my wife and I have been patients has a chapel. The writeup on the web site says:

John Muir Medical Center Chapel

The hospital chapel is available for patients, visitors and staff members. It is open it is open 7 days a week 24 hours a day, and is located on the first floor, near the central elevator bank.

We hope you find this chapel a place of spiritual peace and comfort. Literature is available for your use.

Check with the Pastoral Care office for other spiritual and religious resources in the Pastoral Care Library

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The local hospital where my wife and I have been patients has a chapel. The writeup on the web site says:

John Muir Medical Center Chapel

The hospital chapel is available for patients, visitors and staff members. It is open it is open 7 days a week 24 hours a day, and is located on the first floor, near the central elevator bank.

We hope you find this chapel a place of spiritual peace and comfort. Literature is available for your use.

Check with the Pastoral Care office for other spiritual and religious resources in the Pastoral Care Library
That sounds quite typical of many hospitals in the Western world where Christianity is the main religion. Such chapels are usually open to all and I have no problem making use of such a space. Others are not so comfortable. The challenge with multiculturalism with its accompanying diversity of religion and living in the 21st century is we probably need a different approach that attempts to be as inclusive as possible.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I would make it round so it is not facing any one direction and have it empty of books (have em BYO books) and have thin but clean carpet on the floor, can’t get more inclusive than that.
Also unless the stained glass windows are devoid of symbolism i’d toss em out because what is sacred to one might be anathema to another.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I would make it round so it is not facing any one direction and have it empty of books (have em BYO books) and have thin but clean carpet on the floor, can’t get more inclusive than that.
Also unless the stained glass windows are devoid of symbolism i’d toss em out because what is sacred to one might be anathema to another.

Its a very pragmatic approach.

I wonder how the Christians would feel about having their cherished chapel replaced by a very zen looking round room? In fact I wonder how all faiths would feel about having practically nothing that represents them at all! But it quite possibly may be the only practical way of having a shared space.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This seems to be a strange problem from the JW perspective. We have no need for such a space, as our communication with our God does not require one. We don't see our Kingdom Hall as anything but a building in which to meet for Christian worship and fellowship. It wouldn't matter to us if it was a rented hall or any other space, we would make it an appropriate place to worship Jehovah just by our presence there and Jesus' assurance that, 'where two or three are gathered in his name that he will be there too'. The "church" is the people, not the building.

If we are hospitalized and we need a quiet place to pray, we would probably take solace in an outside space rather than a room used for interfaith purposes. Our relationship with God takes place in our hearts, not in a room....so you would never need to even consider us in this dilemma. Guess its hard to please all the people all the time...its hard enough to please some of the people, some of the time...
confused0006.gif

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This seems to be a strange problem from the JW perspective. We have no need for such a space, as our communication with our God does not require one. We don't see our Kingdom Hall as anything but a building in which to meet for Christian worship and fellowship. It wouldn't matter to us if it was a rented hall or any other space, we would make it an appropriate place to worship Jehovah just by our presence there and Jesus' assurance that, 'where two or three are gathered in his name that he will be there too'. The "church" is the people, not the building.

If we are hospitalized and we need a quiet place to pray, we would probably take solace in an outside space rather than a room used for interfaith purposes. Our relationship with God takes place in our hearts, not in a room....so you would never need to even consider us in this dilemma. Guess its hard to please all the people all the time...its hard enough to please some of the people, some of the time...
confused0006.gif

For me personally it doesn't matter too much either as I'm comfortable praying in many places alone or with others. Most groups other than Christians haven't had a space other than a Chapel so have had to make do. The JWs never attend the interfaith council meetings. Why would you? Its all part of Satan's deception and any day soon the apocalypse as foretold in the book of Revelation will come to pass. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In my experience chapels should be there only for the people who actually use it, or be separated into 3 or 4 spaces. When the Hindu component of the one here was removed, I was told it was because nobody used it.Why have an empty space?