• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTG wants to investigate corporations for the crime of not donating to Republicans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So your referring to corporate welfare.
No.
I've not addressed that in this thread at all.
I would assume they would just go defunct and allow the competition to take up the slack as opposed to privileged "too big to fail" bailouts.
One needn't make a profit every year to survive.
Amazon is a prime (note pun) example. It made
no profit for many years after its creation.
Have you ever run a business?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
To spend money on political advertising or
donations to candidates functions as speech.

You're wrong in both a practical & legal sense.
To air one's views (speech) is enhanced by the
ability to buy media access. Not all of us get
free coverage, like Biden or Trump. And even
they buy access.
Government regulates money spent on political
speech, eg, limiting "contributions in kind".
I recall a case wherein government assigned a
value to a radio talking head who took a political
position. Speech & money are very related.

Many people want to limit power of groups, but
fail to consider that the power vacuum would be
filled by news media, who would be the primary
delivery of political info & advocacy. Hmmm....
I wonder who owns the various media....
Various other corporations. This strikes me
as centralization of power into the hands of
fewer companies.
Of course, but money can be regulated. I am speaking from an ethical standpoint here, not a legal one. The fact that your country allows unlimited money in politic is the problem.

Again, from an ethical viewpoint, limited to political speech are unethical, immoral, just the wrong thing to do. Limiting and regulating money is very different. Money is not speech.

If your argument is that money is speech from a legal point of view, to a large extent you are correct that in the U.S. that is the way the legal/political system works. That is true, but it ain't right.

PureX

Veteran Member
Groups have more power than separated individuals.
- Coordination of effort
- Inspiration
- Recognition
This is why they form. You might be comfortable
with handing government the power to prevent
group power (in the style of China), but I see
great risks of authoritarianism.
But you're not answering my question. Why should we be allowing them to band together and exercise that increased power? By what logical reasoning should any society of equal individuals cede their equality to the desires of a select group of individuals among them? That's a recipe for unequal representation, and ultimately, oppression. So why allow it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course, but money can be regulated. I am speaking from an ethical standpoint here, not a legal one. The fact that your country allows unlimited money in politic is the problem.
You believe there are no limits?
Again, from an ethical viewpoint, limited to political speech are unethical, immoral, just the wrong thing to do. Limiting and regulating money is very different. Money is not speech.
"Money is not speech" belies the complexity
of financing political campaigns, either for
issues or candidates.
If your argument is that money is speech from a legal point of view, to a large extent you are correct that in the U.S. that is the way the legal/political system works. That is true, but it ain't right.
You keep saying "money is speech" as though
this particularly phrasing makes linking of money
& speech ridiculous.
Nah. Speech & money function together.
The latter enables the former.
Restrictions on the latter restrict the former.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You mentioned a term.
But you dint say anything about it.
Here ya go.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/your-tax-loss-harvest-sp-500r-play-for-2022

Snippet...

Losses within equities this year could be captured via tax-loss harvesting, a practice whereby the investment is sold off at a loss, and those losses can then be applied to taxes owed on investments making a profit. In other words, capital losses can offset capital gains, though tax-loss harvesting is a tax deferral, not a cancellation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But you're not answering my question. Why should we be allowing them to band together and exercise that increased power?
I've answered it repeatedly, ie, to grant government
that additional power over us & our ability to communicate
risk authoritarianism.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've already read one link of yours that didn't
support your claim. How about making your
argument using info from this source, eh.
Just brainstorming why fortune 500 companies would forgo their taxes and pay zero, zilch, nada instead.

At least I can brag that I pay more taxes than 55 fortune 500 corporations all put together.

Although now I think of it, it's really nothing to brag about in the first place.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You do have a signature.
Yes, and I think it depends on your settings, or what device you are using, or something whether or not you see it. (this is not a joke, I really don't know if people can still see signatures).

But it is relevant, here it is:

Book recommendation: “Dark Money” by Jane Mayer. For anyone who wants to understand what has happened and is happening to to U.S. politics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just brainstorming why fortune 500 companies would forgo their taxes and pay zero, zilch, nada instead.
Tax avoidance is Ameristan's favorite sport.
Pay no more than one has to.
If I have a loss in one year that's too much
to use in that year, then I'll carry it forward.
**** government. I'll keep what I can.
Less for them to waste on wrongful wars.

Although now I think of it, it's really nothing to brag about in the first place.
Why do you think they're bragging about it?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, and I think it depends on your settings, or what device you are using, or something whether or not you see it. (this is not a joke, I really don't know if people can still see signatures).

But it is relevant, here it is:

Book recommendation: “Dark Money” by Jane Mayer. For anyone who wants to understand what has happened and is happening to to U.S. politics.
Yes, that is the signature that appears on my screen.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Is that a better understanding or your understanding?
Many people write agenda laden books.
Not all are cromulent.
So no one makes points in an argument
by urging others to read a particular book.
I just love books. And it is not about scoring points for me. I recommend the book.

If there is any book you would recommend that you think would help me see clearer, by all means. I might just read it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just love books. And it is not about scoring points for me. I recommend the book.

If there is any book you would recommend that you think would help me see clearer, by all means. I might just read it.
The books I read would be of no interest to anyone else here.
But regarding taxation, economics, public policy, etc,
I like articles. It's a short attention span thing.
And they have the advantage of being linkable here
to support an argument/discussion.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is this what is going to happen? Is this what Republicans are going to do if they win the House? Is this how they are going to use their power, if they get it?

They've told you who they are. Believe them. Expect an unending barrage of vexatious investigating. They've been talking about it for months.

The Democrats used the IRS and other investigations on Republican aligned enterprises for years. But you never complained about that. Why is that?

Why should anyone but a Republican complain about that?

It might just be a simple query as to why.

No. It's MTG. She's MAGA. Her mind is dull and incurious, and facts are of little value.

if you guys think this is funny, I don't think you understand.

MTG is funny. She's a blithering idiot. Jewish space lasers, peach-tree dishes, and calling the gazpacho sealed her place in the annals of contemporary conservative morons along with Trump, Walker, Cruz, Gosar, Johnson, and Boebert.

As far as not understanding, I think I have a pretty firm grip on what's what. America is a dumpster fire, and MTG is pouring gasoline on it. She's MAGA. That's what they do. That's what they are. Three of them just got convicted and sentenced to prison in Michigan for wanting to attack its governor, and one just attacked the Pelosis. They're MAGA. That's what they do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

At least I can brag that I pay more taxes than 55 fortune 500 corporations all put together.

I can guarantee that they all pay more taxes than you do. You may pay more income tax, but that is just one tax out of many. If they own property they pay property taxes. If they have an employees they pay workman's comp., unemployment, and meet the employee's Social Security and Medicare payments. And there are more.