• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought Limitless was pretty good.
The moral of the story seems to have been, "drugs are good" or "all you need to be happy and fulfilled is superhuman abilities derived from chemicals" or "does your life suck? take shortcuts."

It was entertaining, and I think it was well-acted by Bradley Cooper, but I felt it started off with a really good idea and then kind of dwindled into mediocrity.

gnomon

Skyline - that film sucked

The King's Speech - great film.

How To Irritate People - was good but having seen some of the same skits when they were rehashed by Monty Python left it somewhat dull

Spider - great film about a schizophrenic played by Ralph Fiennes.

The King of Comedy - I still think this is one of the best movies Scorsese and De Niro have done.

The Black Swan - A decent but very overhyped film that wasn't truly all that engaging.

Last edited:

no-body

The Black Swan - A decent but very overhyped film that wasn't truly all that engaging.

Saw this the other day and thought it was awesome. The cynical part of me sadly suspects the movie is popular only for the girl on girl action.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Skyline - that film sucked

The King's Speech - great film.

How To Irritate People - was good but having seen some of the same skits when they were rehashed by Monty Python left it someone dull

Spider - great film about a schizophrenic played by Ralph Fiennes.

The King of Comedy - I still think this is one of the best movies Scorsese and De Niro have done.

I agree with every one of these assessments!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Just watched this EXCELLENT movie - and a great sign of a truly good movie is when it sticks with you for awhile, and this one did.

Amazon.com: Twin Sisters: Ellen Vogel, Gudrun Okras, Thekla Reuten, Nadja Uhl, Julia Koopmans, Sina Richardt, Betty Schuurman, Jaap Spijkers, Roman Knizka, Margarita Broich, Ingo Naujoks, Barbara Auer, Piotr Kukla, Ben Sombogaart, Anton Smit, Hanneke

51R3K9VWQ7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nominated for an Academy Award® (Best Foreign Language Film, 2003), TWIN SISTERS (DE TWEELING) is the emotional and provocative story that tells the tale of two sisters who must come to terms with their fate amid the heat of World War II. Lotte and Anna become orphans by the age of six. One is sent to live a life of privilege with wealthy relatives in the Netherlands, while the other stays in Germany to face a harsh existence on her uncle’s farm. When they reconnect years later, they not only discover that their lives have taken drastically different paths but, following Germany’s invasion of Holland, they find themselves pitted on opposite sides of the war. Powerful and thought provoking, this award-winning motion picture earned worldwide critical acclaim!

The film starts with a brilliant setup. When two young girls are left orphans in Germany, they are wanted by two different sets of in-laws. The German in-laws are a poor farming family who need free labor, while the rich in-laws live in the Netherlands and want to bring the girls up properly. A concession is made that pleases neither, but eliminates further debate. Lotte, who has consumption, is given away to the Dutch family who can try to cure her and Anna, the healthy one, is kept on the German farm. It is that random--the course of your whole existence decided in a split second. It's an interesting and thought-provoking topic.

Lotte is cured and leads a life of privilege. Playing the piano, luxuriating on yachts, and finding romance and engagement with a family friend--you can't help but envy her lifestyle. Anna, meanwhile, is kept from school by being declared "retarded," worked, and brutalized on the farm. The two girls lose complete track of one another, their "parents" have each made independent decisions that it is best if they don't communicate. Eventually realizing they are each still alive, they reconnect--but much has changed, including the rise of Nazism. The film looks at Anna's life as a German, she is a maid and supports her country. And the film examines Lotte's life. While still a German, she sees things from the outside--and, in fact, her fiance is Jewish.

The beauty of "Twin Sisters" is that you see these girls evolve as products of their environments. Each has much to be admired, but each makes terrible mistakes. Your allegiance flip-flops back and forth as you inevitably get caught up in their stories. The cast is impeccable. Through different ages, and through a narrative flashback structure, there is a lot of story to be told here. Occasionally, I wished to be able to spend more time in a certain sequence--to really feel its import. But there is no question that the film packs an emotional wallop. I respected "Twin Sisters," it's a serious minded film for people who like adult entertainment. The ultimate moral dilemma is posed, what if things were different? What if the roles had been reversed, would the outcome have been the same? Good stuff.

gnomon

Watching the series Beckett on Film.

Some are good. Some are really boring.

edit: I liked Krapp's Last Tape. Most of the others I've seen are about as useful as punching yourself in the face.

edit 2: Endgame with Michael Gambon and David Thewliss was great as well.

Last edited:

AmyLeona

I saw Hangover 2 in the cinema yesterday. The plot is basically the same as the first, but in Thailand.

A few nights ago I watched Cracks. Absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I saw 'The Mist' a week or so ago. Holy crap. None of the monster stuff was really scary, it was the people.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Stephen King's Mist?

That was great, wasn't it?
Not to give anything away to those who haven't seen it...

Oh damn, as if the crazies and what they did to the soldier wasn't bad enough (and that part was heartwrenching) but the end...oh the end. It killed me. I honestly couldn't fall asleep that night for hours. What he did...the anguish afterwards...you really FELT it. It sticks with you.

gnomon

Not to give anything away to those who haven't seen it...

Oh damn, as if the crazies and what they did to the soldier wasn't bad enough (and that part was heartwrenching) but the end...oh the end. It killed me. I honestly couldn't fall asleep that night for hours. What he did...the anguish afterwards...you really FELT it. It sticks with you.

It was a great story. Created a great impact on the senses. I know what you mean about the end. Kind of hard not to think that in a given situation you wouldn't react the same.

Gunny

Semper Fi
Last movie I watched was Courage Under Fire last night. I remember seeing it when it first came out at the movies. Very good and moving film.