• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mother Teresa

syo

i found this quote from mother Teresa ''Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.'' this is the most beautiful quote that encompasses all teachings of Jesus.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
but she looked after the sick? wasn't this charity that made her a saint?
Malcolm Muggeridge, who was a BBC researcher and reporter who was strongly atheistic, spent time with her and ended up converting to Catholicism as he was so impressed. He ended up writing a book about her that I read about four decades ago.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
but she looked after the sick? wasn't this charity that made her a saint?
She didn't really administer medicine or anything. She appeared mostly to run hospices designed to spread Catholicism.

syo

She didn't really administer medicine or anything. She appeared mostly to run hospices designed to spread Catholicism.
she wasn't a doctor, she couldn't give medicine recipies. only doctors that wanted to help mother teresa with her work could give medication.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
she wasn't a doctor, she couldn't give medicine recipies. only doctors that wanted to help mother teresa with her work could give medication.
She enabled needless suffering when many of those people could have been treated. She saw suffering as good.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
She had a little-documented history of glorifying the suffering of the patients in her clinics, as well as using them to conduct shady business and financial practices:

Criticism of Mother Teresa - Wikipedia
Mother Teresa: anything but a saint...

However, to be fair to the OP, this thread is about the eloquence of the quote rather than Mother Teresa's character, and I have to agree it is a beautiful sentiment.

Last edited:

metis

From what I've studied, @Rival is correct. Sadly, she wasn't the saint the world thought her to be.
But being a "saint" doesn't imply perfection by any means.

@syo in the opening post wrote something quite beautiful, imo, and yet someone else felt a need to tear down the author, which begs the question why anyone would want to do that? Had syo tried to pawn her off as being perfect, then I could see such a response, but the OP doesn't do that.

IOW, are we to just start ragging on people for no reason other than to just tear them down? She wasn't perfect, and she not only never claimed as such, she wrote about her misgivings. So, should I look for the imperfections of others here at RF and rant on them? Why should I even want to do that?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

@syo in the opening post wrote something quite beautiful, imo, and yet someone else felt a need to tear down the author, which begs the question why anyone would want to do that? Had syo tried to pawn her off as being perfect, then I could see such a response, but the OP doesn't do that.

IOW, are we to just start ragging on people for no reason other than to just tear them down? She wasn't perfect, and she not only never claimed as such, she wrote about her misgivings. So, should I look for the imperfections of others here at RF and rant on them? Why should I even want to do that?

If she hadn't mis-represented herself for years, I could be more forgiving. But she set herself up for extraordinary scrutiny, and she failed to clear the high bar she set for herself.

metis

If she hadn't mis-represented herself for years, I could be more forgiving. But she set herself up for extraordinary scrutiny, and she failed to clear the high bar she set for herself.
And what have you done to help the poor? If you've done more than she, then I'll go along with what you say, but until then maybe "walk for a moon in another person's moccasins before criticizing them".

The OP was beautiful-- too bad it so quickly degenerated into a judgement of character.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And what have you done to help the poor? If you've done more than she, then I'll go along with what you say, but until then maybe "walk for a moon in another person's moccasins before criticizing them".

The OP was beautiful-- too bad it so quickly degenerated into a judgement of character.

I would say that anyone who has made charitable contributions has done more to help the poor than teresa. Her "contributions" were a net loss. That taints an otherwise nice sentiment. In other words, a nice sentiment was besmirched by a cruel, greedy charlatan.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

There's a differences between understandable missteps and betrayal of trust. When someone puts themselves forward as the head of a hospital, knowing that they will be relied on, they take on a duty to do the job properly.

She received enough in donations to build and equip many fine hospitals, but instead of using this money to, say, do proper pain management or actually treat people's treatable conditions, she used it for her "franchise" network of convents.

I suppose that it's better to die in pain in a bed instead of in pain in a gutter, but the only reason they were in pain was because of her notions about the holiness of suffering that should not be held by anyone in charge of a hospital.

She made other people suffer for her faith and saw to it that people who could have been saved died. If she wasn't a nun, the question would have been whether she should have died in prison for industrial-scale neglect, not whether she should be considered a saint.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Soooo....what if Trump had said it?