• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Teresa made a 'saint'!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't practice without a license?

She wasn't prosecuted by the government, so I'd say they were as much, if not more, to blame.
Would Jesus have agreed with the sentiment?

I have no idea what Jesus would have said, agreed with or disagreed with.
People can turn against immoral systems. A true saint would've stood up to the BS the Catholic Church continues to do, even in US hospitals they control.

Noble, but idealistic.
I fear, as a woman, ever being forced to go to one. I'd rather watch a surgery on youtube and do it myself.

Histrionic comments at their finest.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There are so many who worked under her and were impressed by her to a degree rarely experienced in our lives. As a non-Christian and a non-Catholic, I have read much about her over the decades by people of different religious faiths and some with no religious connections, who overall concluded that he was one remarkable and highly dedicated person.

What we see happening all too often is the good old American tradition of tearing good people down, I guess because it makes some feel better about themselves. I'm not referring to you, btw.

Why do some nit-pick some things she may have done while disregarding how much she did do, and in an area of extreme poverty and suffering? Does anyone here serious think that she did this for some sort of "luxury"? Does anyone here think that she couldn't have spent a more comfortable life elsewhere?

She was not a perfect person, and she well admitted that, but I guess I'll close this by passing on one piece of good advice my mother taught me many decades ago: "never speak ill of the dead".

Sorry for the rant, and it's not aimed at you, btw.

Based on everything I've read, I question her motives, and I find many of her actions to be hypocritical.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Based on everything I've read, I question her motives, and I find many of her actions to be hypocritical.
Then we're reading some very different things. I guess she must have really fooled the Nobel Committee, eh?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
She wasn't prosecuted by the government, so I'd say they were as much, if not more, to blame.
That is nothing new in India. We have Ayurvedic practioners, Unani practioners, Siddha practioners, Homeopathiy practioners, quack medical doctors and dentists. They may have no college education. How many such people can government prosecute? So what is wrong if Teresa was giving medicines without having any medical qualifications (and she was dispensing only Aspirin tablets)?

street-dentist_1437229i-520x245.jpg
images
I guess she must have really fooled the Nobel Committee, eh?
Nobel committee is a European Christian group. It serves the interests of Western nations.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A book I read about 30 or years ago was very interesting, and it was "Something Beautiful for God" by Malcolm Muggeridge, who was a rather famous atheist up until he met and filmed her in action, and shortly thereafter ended up converting to Catholicism.

Wasn't that related to a new more sensitive technology introduced by Kodak at that time, being equivocated with the light of God by Muggeridge himself?

Ciao

- viole

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So what is wrong if Teresa was giving medicines without having any medical qualifications?

By the standards you named, she was not doing anything different. She just had more of a spotlight cast on her than the rural village healer who may or may not have been more or less skilled than she was.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, that is what I said. She did all in good faith. I was once with Muslim herders in Himalayas. They had their quack-cum-clerics and respected them. But if a person died after being treated by them, they never blamed the quack. That is what Allah wanted. Otherwise the person would not have died.

icehorse

Premium Member
Then we're reading some very different things. I guess she must have really fooled the Nobel Committee, eh?

My guess is that if you read Hitchens concerning teresa, you'll be hard-pressed to refute his claims. She knew how to work the system.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Wasn't that related to a new more sensitive technology introduced by Kodak at that time, being equivocated with the light of God by Muggeridge himself?

Ciao

- viole
Yes. According to Muggeridge, however, he doesn't believe that the motion picture still should have been light enough.

As for me, I am very much a skeptic of such clams.

icehorse

Premium Member
Do you by chance have a link?

If you go to youtube and search on "hitchens mother teresa" you'll find a bunch of videos. Or you could get his book: The Missionary Position

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That is what I said. She sincerely believed in what she was doing. Bringing Christianity to people before they died so that they could have a chance to go to heaven. It is only in Mormons that you can make people Christians by prayer even after their death, but among Catholics. One has to embrace Jesus before death if only that is moments away..
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but nobody can make anybody else a Christian, not before death and not after death. And just to set the record straight, Mormons don't claim to be able to do so. A person can become a Christian only by choice, not by force.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but nobody can make anybody else a Christian, not before death and not after death. And just to set the record straight, Mormons don't claim to be able to do so. A person can become a Christian only by choice, not by force.

That is the Roman Catholic teaching, at least where children under 7 years old are concerned. That's why babies are baptized. If a child is in danger of death, not being of sufficient age to know right from wrong, and it's not known if the child was baptized, any Catholic lay person need only pour water on the child's head and say "I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". So yeah, it's forced conversion. I'll go so far as to say it's a personal violation. I suppose this would also apply to adults known to be "Godless heathens", based on their culture.. they don't know any better, so the decision has to be made for them.

In the words of the late great Richard M. Nixon "I want to make one thing perfectly clear": that comment about "Godless heathens" was made with all the sarcasm and contempt I could muster for the teaching and practice of baptizing adults through trickery.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That is the Roman Catholic teaching, at least where children under 7 years old are concerned. That's why babies are baptized. If a child is in danger of death, not being of sufficient age to know right from wrong, and it's not known if the child was baptized, any Catholic lay person need only pour water on the child's head and say "I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". So yeah, it's forced conversion. I'll go so far as to say it's a personal violation. I suppose this would also apply to adults known to be "Godless heathens", based on their culture.. they don't know any better, so the decision has to be made for them.
Well, since you seem to think that baptism is enough to make a person a Christian, it's understandable that you also think it amounts to "forced conversion." To me, baptism is only part of the process and is meaningless without faith, repentance and a commitment to Jesus Christ.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My guess is that if you read Hitchens concerning teresa, you'll be hard-pressed to refute his claims. She knew how to work the system.
Moreover, propping Teresa brought Christian vote to Indira Gandhi's Congress or to Communists in Bengal and Kerala (who were in power in Bengal at that time). You cannot overlook this fact.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Moreover, propping Teresa brought Christian vote to Indira Gandhi's Congress or to Communists in Bengal and Kerala (who were in power in Bengal at that time). You cannot overlook this fact.
One cannot also overlook the fact that in the 1970-1980, the government run orphanages and hospitals (most of them in the East at least) was much worse. Many still are. So how can the government throw stones? Hopefully the situation is improving now, but little hope in West Bengal with Mamata. :(
Does not let Mother Teresa or her institution of the hook for things that they could have done but did not do. And its becoming a real issue now when quality is generally improving in India,
http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/10/forbes-india-mother-teresa-charity-critical-public-review.html