• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most-liked Christian denomination

Most-liked Christian denomination

• Total voters

Polaris

If you were to affiliate with a Christian denomiation (other than your own if you're already Christian) which of the following would you choose? If you feel inclined, we'd like to hear why?

Baptist
Christian Scientist
Disciples of Christ
Eastern Orthodox
Episcopal
Jehovah's Witness
Lutheran
Methodist
Mormon (LDS)
Presbyterian
Roman Catholic
Seventh-Day Adventist
Unitarian Christian
United Church of Christ
Other (please name)

Smoke

Done here.
I picked United Church of Christ because I almost did join them. Going UCC was going to be my last-ditch attempt to remain a Christian. However, I decided against it.

As you probably guessed from our conversation on another thread, I have a general preference for the Eastern Orthodox Churches. However, I can't abide their attitude toward women and homosexuals, or their rejection of pacifism.

Any religious group I joined would have to have a strong testimony for peace, justice, and non-violence, would have to be welcoming to all people, and would have to treat women and men equally, and all sexual orientations and gender identities equally. That means:
  • If they have officers or clergy, those positions have to be open to both sexes, and people of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
  • If they celebrate weddings, the option has to be open to same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples.
  • The particular congregation will not sponsor exclusionary organizations like the Boy Scouts -- and I'd feel better if there were a denominational policy against it.
  • The members will be involved in peace and justice issues (like counter-recruitment and environmental activism), and the congregation will help serve as a clearinghouse for involvement in those activities.
  • The congregation will have a strong social conscience, and members will be involved in helping to feed, cloth, and house the poor, and helping them get medical care.
  • Neither the congregation nor the denomination will glorify the military or any form of violence.
  • There will not be any dogmatic requirements for membership -- no saying, "You must believe this."
  • There will not be an emphasis on building programs and acquiring "stuff" for the congregation.
That's my wish list, anyway, an idealization. I don't expect any congregation on the ground to fit the bill exactly, but it would have to come close. I'm not aware of any Christian church that comes anywhere near close. In the UCC, you find individual congregations that do, but there's no denomination-wide policy for peace, justice and non-violence, or against exclusionary practices. I like the way they're headed, but I just don't think it's good enough.

So I'm more attracted to the post-Christian religions, like the Unitarian-Universalists and Friends General Conference. I've always had a strong preference for liturgical forms of worship, but I've learned that I like "silent meeting" or "unprogrammed" Quaker worship even better. However, I wouldn't touch the Evangelical Friends with a ten-foot pole. I consider their exclusionary practices and their commitment to dogma contrary to everything I like about Quakerism -- liberal Quakerism, that is, and their ordained clergy and programmed meetings an abandonment of important Quaker principles -- important to me, that is.

On a gut level, I like Eastern Orthodoxy and paganism, especially Norse heathenism, but I've already explained my reservations about Orthodoxy, and it just seems like more trouble than it's worth to spend the rest of my life explaining to Christians that I'm a pagan but don't believe the gods are factual.

It's looking like liberal Quakerism, philosophical Taoism, or no religion for me. At the moment I don't belong to any religion, but those are the options most attractive to me.

kai

ragamuffin
i like the amish forgive my ignorance if they are there in the list under another name

Ab'dal Hameed said:
I have voted "other" meaning the Quakers, whose official name I forget. I love their peaceful way of worship.

I think modern-day Quakers are now usually called "Friends"; there is a Friends Church near where I live.

FGS

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Damn, I didn't read the "other than your own" bit. Oh well, other than Anglican, I'd say Eastern Orthodox or Friends.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Roman Catholicism because of the Jesuits, Cathod, Pax Christi and characters like Oscar Romero, Dorothy Day and Desmond Tutu. Also, the least pretentious meditation group I've ever been to was ran by a small Catholic church.

lunamoth

Will to love
Scarlett Wampus said:
Roman Catholicism because of the Jesuits, Cathod, Pax Christi and characters like Oscar Romero, Dorothy Day and Desmond Tutu. Also, the least pretentious meditation group I've ever been to was ran by a small Catholic church.
Hey SW, Archbishop Tutu is Anglican. :) But I agree with you, if not Episcopalian I'd go for either RCC or EOC.

cheers,
lunamoth

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I tend to get on really well with Anglicans, here in Australia at least.

If I was going to be a Christian, I'd probably join a very liberal Anglican congregation of some kind.

So, from the choices listed, I picked Episcopal. :)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
for the record, i didn't vote, because i love individuals regardless or how much i agree/disagree with their theology

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm pretty much ecumenical, so I would affliate with any denomenation that wants to work together to spread the love and ministry of Jesus Christ to all people. I attend a Presbyterian church, but I cringe at any denomenational distinctives. I'd like to see denomenational lines blurred in giving and ministries - like having various denomenations invovled in giving to the same hospitals, homeless shelters, and food/utility programs while retaining whatever wacky beliefs that they want to so as to keep their "Denomenation X" sign on their door and badge on their sleeve.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I voted other in regard to Quakers/Religious Society of Friends too. Can't go wrong with a body of people who were the first to fight for women's rights and racial equality.

In regard to the others, I am more leniant towards the ones who believe in universal salvation, or even annihilationism.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ab'dal Hameed said:
I have voted "other" meaning the Quakers, whose official name I forget. I love their peaceful way of worship.
The Quakers are a remarkable group worthy of inordinant respect. For example, see here and here.

Zephyr

Moved on
If for some strange reason I were to become a Christian, I would definitely hang with the Quakers. Those are some cool dudes.

c0da

I voted methodist, because I think that's what my mam is and she would like somebody to go to church with.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Other...Pentecostal...as I am Pentecostal.

My church probably wouldn't fit underneath the categories and sterotypes that many place Pentecostal/Charismatic type churches under.

I liken our church services on Sundays and Wednesdays to that of many Baptist churches in our area.

I would say that we take a "full gospel" approach to the NT of the Bible and probably embrace the Pentecost more fully than other Christian religious denomination that I can think of.

I chose a Pentecostal church for myself because I adore the free and open style of worship.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
United Church of Christ, the UUA do a some things with them already or the Quakers. I would have voted Untarian Christian except they are not that common here, more so in Europe.