• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No, because they do not believe in Heavenly Kingdom, they do not seek to get there. It is of no intetest for them.

Why wouldn't I want to go to some paradise? The problem is that to me it is the equivalent of wanting to go to lala-land.

I'ld love to travel through a Stargate also. But sadly I don't believe such things exist either.

It seems a bit useless to "seek" to travel through a Stargate while not believing Stargates exist.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why wouldn't I want to go to some paradise? The problem is that to me it is the equivalent of wanting to go to lala-land.

I'ld love to travel through a Stargate also. But sadly I don't believe such things exist either.

It seems a bit useless to "seek" to travel through a Stargate while not believing Stargates exist.
I understand your view on it :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, because they do not believe in Heavenly Kingdom, they do not seek to get there. It is of no interest for them.

That's essentially correct. Atheists don't expect an afterlife, although how can one rule the possibility out? As for me, it's not that I have no interest in the possibility of an afterlife. It's that it is an unanswerable question, and I have no reason to think about it further. If such a thing as an afterlife exists, I have to wait to find out about it just like everybody else.

I reject everything the religions and their various prophets and messengers have said about gods and an afterlife, which is clearly of human origin and comprises only guesses. The very word kingdom is how we would expect ancients to conceive of the afterlife - an authoritarian fatherlike entity at the top of a hierarchy. The idea of there being judgment associated with how one's afterlife proceeds is also a very human idea, also based in the archetype of the father who judges and rewards or punishes, of obvious value to those trying to modify human behavior, but not to the cosmos.

So, yes, there is nothing needing seeking and additional thought on the subject is idle speculation.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Why do the atheists, indifferent to the divine matters, love to argue with Christians about God?

Why do you care? Participation in debate is not mandatory, there are countless forums here that will give you an echo chamber for your beliefs if that's what you prefer.

Why do atheists communicate with a Christian Bob, but the fellow Christians do not talk with Bob?

It's possible they find your unevidenced hubris, as ludicrous as most atheists do.

As long there is hope to destroy you (Bob), the talking continues. And when you bring an indisputable argument or proof in the dispute, the atheist ends the debate abruptly and without becoming a believer.

Talk doesn't destroy anyone, and the idea you have presented "indisputable arguments" is embarrassing. You may want to ask yourself, why your beliefs are not enough for you here, why it annoys you that others don't share them.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I reject everything the religions and their various prophets and messengers have said about gods and an afterlife, which is clearly of human origin and comprises only guesses.
And God rejects you.

I'm not sure what is more embarrassing, the sophistry of you editing out most of the sentence in your quote, to misrepresent what he had say, or making such a jejune and unevidenced god claim to an atheist, you might as well threaten him with a magic spell.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I reject everything the religions and their various prophets and messengers have said about gods and an afterlife, which is clearly of human origin and comprises only guesses.

And God rejects you.

You're taking this too personally. You see the atheist's rejection of your beliefs and are offended. That's on you. You're responsible for controlling your emotions and their expression.

Why do the atheists, indifferent to the divine matters, love to argue with Christians about God?

I don't think atheists argue about gods. I don't. Atheists just tell you why they reject the claims.

Regarding your god, the one you call God, the god of the Christian Bible, I've already ruled out the possibility of its existence two different ways, so there is nothing to discuss there, and I don't care if you believe in it or not, so I have no incentive to try to talk you out of your belief. It's not about gods. For me, it's more about theists and their religions. It's more about belief by faith and why that can never be a path to truth. But not gods. Nor angels. Nor demons. Nor sin. Nor redemption. Those are theological matters of no interest to the unbeliever.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you keep starting threads that beg for a rebuttal in a place skeptics come if you don't want to see dissent, and you deliberately make them provocative by making grand claims for your intellectual prowess, by presenting incoherent ideas and calling them proofs, and expressing your contempt for atheist, and then bemoan the inevitable result. Of course you'll get a reaction.

If you don't want a rebuttal from a skeptic, post your opinions in DIRs, or simply state your beliefs in open threads like this one, that you can't defend them but believe them anyway as many other believers do, and without taking gratuitous shots at atheists. Who's going to argue with that? It's militant theists on a mission to confront atheists or evolution in thread after thread like some kind of crusader who get the blow back.

Sell your religion without demeaning the alternatives if you can as those alternatives (critical thinking, science, secular humanism) promote themselves without a mention of religion. If you can, tell us why faith is a virtue without using the words materialism, myopic, or scientism. If you can, explain why creationism is correct without reference to evolution just as science argues for the correctness of evolution without a mention of creationism. If you can, explain why Christianity is a good thing without a reference to what you consider the moral and intellectual failings of atheism just as skeptics sing the praises of secular humanism without any reference to gods or holy books.

Kelly of the Phoenix

But if times come when atheists will be allowed to catch a Christian and inflict the tremendous pain on him and crucify him, but he refuses to blaspheme Jesus Christ (God of Christian), will it be proof for Jesus?
It’s a curious thing to see people have some theological masochism. It’s like some people have no sense of self worth unless they are starring in some religious version of Saw.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I’m sure there are enough nerds in heaven to make a stargate. ☺️

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I’m sure there are enough nerds in heaven to make a stargate. ☺️

Hmmm. I think you are unto something. After all, it would be populated with "ascended" beings that are enlightened. And according to SG1, the Stargate system was created by the ancients who ... ow yes... ascended and became enlightened beings of pure light.

Ow my!

Mind... blown....
Brain... all over the wall...

:D