• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More than 100 students baptized without parents’ permission at North Carolina school

Should children decide on their own if the get baptized

• yes

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • no

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Since its been discussed on a few threads to what choices/decisions children should be able to make for themselves,,, should they be able to make this decision?

"FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WGHP) — A North Carolina school apologized after baptizing more than 100 children without their parent’s permission, according to the Fayetteville Observer.

Northwood Temple Academy, a private Christian school in Fayetteville, posted on Facebook on Thursday, “I feel it in my bones, You’re about to move! Today we had over 100 middle and high school students spontaneously declare their faith and get baptized today. We will have more pictures of these powerful moments posted over the next couple of days!”

That morning, three students had their scheduled baptisms at the school as part of Spiritual Emphasis Week. The offer was then extended to other students who had not been scheduled. More than 100 students in total were baptized.

Renee McLamb, the head of the school, sent families a letter to explain.

“The Spirit of the Lord moved and the invitation to accept the Lord and be baptized was given and the students just began to respond to the presence of the Lord,” McLamb said in the letter, which was obtained by the Observer.

The school says it typically notifies and invites parents to be present for any baptisms that happen on campus, and “it was not the intention of any faculty member to do anything behind a parent’s back or in any kind of secret way.”

“I do understand that parents would desire to be a part of something so wonderful happening in the lives of their children, and so I apologize that we did not take that into consideration in that moment,” McLamb said. “I pray that at the end of the day we will all rejoice because God truly did a work in the lives of our students.”

McLamb told the paper that the school should have given students a chance to contact parents and ask permission. “We were not expecting such an overwhelming response to the message that was spoken, but as a mother I certainly can empathize with why some parents were upset,” she said.

McLamb said that most of the parents that contacted her were glad, but some were unhappy with the move. Some of the children had already been baptized, and at least one family was concerned that a second baptism could undo the first."

More than 100 students baptized without parents’ permission at North Carolina school | WGN-TV
My rlchurch let's them decide at 8. Raelian is 15. Either ne ds parents permission.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Since its been discussed on a few threads to what choices/decisions children should be able to make for themselves,,, should they be able to make this decision?

"FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WGHP) — A North Carolina school apologized after baptizing more than 100 children without their parent’s permission, according to the Fayetteville Observer.

Northwood Temple Academy, a private Christian school in Fayetteville, posted on Facebook on Thursday, “I feel it in my bones, You’re about to move! Today we had over 100 middle and high school students spontaneously declare their faith and get baptized today. We will have more pictures of these powerful moments posted over the next couple of days!”

That morning, three students had their scheduled baptisms at the school as part of Spiritual Emphasis Week. The offer was then extended to other students who had not been scheduled. More than 100 students in total were baptized.

“The Spirit of the Lord moved and the invitation to accept the Lord and be baptized was given and the students just began to respond to the presence of the Lord,” McLamb said in the letter, which was obtained by the Observer.

The school says it typically notifies and invites parents to be present for any baptisms that happen on campus, and “it was not the intention of any faculty member to do anything behind a parent’s back or in any kind of secret way.”

“I do understand that parents would desire to be a part of something so wonderful happening in the lives of their children, and so I apologize that we did not take that into consideration in that moment,” McLamb said. “I pray that at the end of the day we will all rejoice because God truly did a work in the lives of our students.”

McLamb told the paper that the school should have given students a chance to contact parents and ask permission. “We were not expecting such an overwhelming response to the message that was spoken, but as a mother I certainly can empathize with why some parents were upset,” she said.

McLamb said that most of the parents that contacted her were glad, but some were unhappy with the move. Some of the children had already been baptized, and at least one family was concerned that a second baptism could undo the first."

More than 100 students baptized without parents’ permission at North Carolina school | WGN-TV
Well if you send your kids to a Christian School I don't see how you can complain about them being baptized.

Truth in love

I don’t think this should be done behind the parents backs. It can get tricked if one parent is for and the other not, but it’s very disrespectful to do this.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Sometimes we get our knickers in a twist for simple things.

F1fan

Veteran Member
If I were to replace three words…

“I think that if a child "wants" to be __transgender__ then the child has __likely__ been subjected to __radical leftist__ indoctrination. Children don't have the cognitive development to make rational judgments about complex ideas. Adults know they are vulnerable and indoctrinate them. I find this borders on child abuse.”

…then suddenly you are Socrates.
I expected a far right wing extremist would bring this up, and be mistaken for doing so.

No child or adult ever has feelings of wanting to be baptized naturally, as an intuitive sense. No child or adult ever knows about Jesus and the need for salvation without being pressured to believe it by those around them. Religious concepts are created with peer and social pressure, and most comply due to the need to conform.

Testimonies from trans people is that they have inner feelings about their gender and identity that isn't art of any indoctrination. Gay people also testify to their own inner feelings and experiences that they are naturally attracted to those of their own gender. I see right wing extremists assert grooming and indoctrination is how trans and gay people are created, but there is no evidence of this fraudulent accusation.

Heyo

Veteran Member

So, a few kids splashed each other with water? (Or were sprinkled with water by a priest or however you do it.) Did this magical ritual have any consequences aside from people getting wet? (If that was answered in the article, it's not available in my region, so I couldn't read it.)

I won't give to much credence to the magic Christians do, it only encourages them to keep on believing in it.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As a child, I would have been happy to be baptized in any religion provided I get good amount of chocolate and icecream at the end....

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!

Define 'children' seems some were high school and at that age, ya sure they can.
When you put your kids in a 'private Christian school' WTF do you expect to happen?

"...concerned that a second baptism could undo the first."

This is HILARIOUS!

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Maybe because the name McLamb was involved. They thought it was a real event.

Yet in created creation no names ever existed first....as no human was living first before everything. By humans naming everything like humans do.

In life water above us stops us from being flame gas burnt. Keeps your mind and body cells healthy.

As water is water as water and health of water depends on water being healthy.

Vibration or water oscillation is known to change waters vitality. It's why buildings were built to by structure to resonate healthier water men said. Maybe once it did.

Therefore what did happen was just ceremony. So no one needs to be upset.

PureX

Veteran Member
The bad news is that this is a Christian cult trying to steal other people's children's minds. The good news is that the children will forget about it as soon as their hair dries.

Since its been discussed on a few threads to what choices/decisions children should be able to make for themselves,,, should they be able to make this decision?...

I think schools should ask permission, all though I don't think this was harmful for the children.

Brian2

Veteran Member
The far-right bugbear is the fixation on transgender therapy and categorical dismissal thereof.

Gender therapy for children is quite a complex topic. My opinion, in a nutshell, is that children who report severe discomfort in their bodies due to gender identity should be evaluated by multiple professionals, who would in turn inform the parents of the condition (or lack thereof) in detail after evaluating it.

I'm not for readily pushing children into irreversible and life-changing medical procedures, but I'm also not for taking away the option for children to have the necessary treatment if professionals determine that they need it. This applies to any medical condition requiring drastic intervention, not just trans-related therapy.

Needing trans-related therapy may not be the right word.
I would say that it would be better for transgender people to be accepted in this society and learn to live as the people they are.
But that would be a utopian idea.
Certainly seeing trans people as having a condition that needs medical therapy is lessening those people in their own eyes and is like seeing them as disabled and needing therapy.
For the "experts" to be saying that gender is fluid and someone is the gender they identify with at any particular time is pretty radical, especially when it comes to young people having been taught that and being given advice by people who think that way. In some places it is illegal for parents not to support their children in decisions they have made concerning their sexuality and subsequent medical procedures.
Not affirming transgender children is family violence in Victoria

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Needing trans-related therapy may not be the right word.
I would say that it would be better for transgender people to be accepted in this society and learn to live as the people they are.
But that would be a utopian idea.
Certainly seeing trans people as having a condition that needs medical therapy is lessening those people in their own eyes and is like seeing them as disabled and needing therapy.

Gender dysphoria indeed requires medical treatment in many cases. Any value judgment an individual might make about that has no bearing on its accuracy or validity.

For the "experts" to be saying that gender is fluid and someone is the gender they identify with at any particular time is pretty radical, especially when it comes to young people having been taught that and being given advice by people who think that way. In some places it is illegal for parents not to support their children in decisions they have made concerning their sexuality and subsequent medical procedures.
Not affirming transgender children is family violence in Victoria

"Radical" according to whom, though? Dismissing professional consensus just because one deems it radical seems to me an unreasonable and harmful path to go down.

It's also not just some experts; it's the vast majority of medical professionals who make up the current medical consensus.

As for Victoria's laws, I'm not familiar enough with them or their nuances to comment on that specific article, but I don't view the laws of one region as having any bearing on the validity or lack thereof of scientific findings either.

leroy

I think that if a child "wants" to be baptized then the child has already been subjected to religious indoctrination. This is how religion gets assed on to new generations, it's not a choice as it seems to be. Children don't have the cognitive development to make rational judgments about complex ideas. Adults know they are vulnerable and indoctrinate them. I find this borders on child abuse.
If a child joins the “Star Wars Group “ Community of the school nobody would call it “child abuse” so why would baptism be any different (from the point of view of an atheist)

If anything some Christian parents should be unhappy because in some families baptism is an important event (sometimes it involves a party) and the school simply ruined the “opportunity” of having joy and fun