• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moratorium on DIRs

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No, you are not supposed to select them if you are not affiliated with them. They are discussion threads therefore they are not meant for debate. Click on some of them and read there content. The spirit of the DIR should be clear. They are exclusive because outsider input can devalue productive understanding and discussion. They are non argumentative for the same reason. While outsider information and argument can at times enhance productivity and foster understanding, there is plenty of available space for that in the other forums. There is no subkect that is in a DIR that cannot also be discussed and argued elsewhere on this site.
Thanks. That is clear now. I am interested in a lot of things, but I don't have time to look around on RF or post in many threads, so I usually only read and post in General Religious Debates. I have some new threads I what to post but I am reticent to do so because I know they will elicit replies to me and I know I will feel obligated to reply and feel bad if I can't, so I am holding off until my present life crisis (hopefully) blows over, although I might post one thread I do not think will elicit many posts, as soon as I have time to type it up.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you further explain what you mean -- one poster consuming 30% of the new threads list with threads that exclude most of RF? Why do those new threads exclude most of RF? Are people prohibited from answering in those DIRs? I am confused :confused: but I want to understand what you mean. :)

DIRs are segregated territory that are off limits to and exclude most RF participants.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If we're asking these kind of questions, I would like to know what the distinction between religious debates and general religious debates is.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Isn't it inappropriate that one poster can consume 30% of the new threads list with threads that exclude most of RF? Why is this even an option?
Well you sure got that wrong!
Nobody who produces a thread 'consumes' threads, but 'creates' threads.......... is that fair? OK?

On the other hand the DIR sections are very strange imo. I won't even respond to a DIR which I could apply for membership of. Years ago I asked a fair question on a DIR and got a nasty worded warning with no appeal possible, and still shown on my history to remind me never to trust a DIR ever again.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
On the other hand the DIR sections are very strange imo. I won't even respond to a DIR which I could apply for membership of. Years ago I asked a fair question on a DIR and got a nasty worded warning with no appeal possible, and still shown on my history to remind me never to trust a DIR ever again.
Same thing happened to me in the Hinduism DIR. Since then I try to stay away from that DIR. The warning remains visible to frighten me off to venture there again.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Some other posters filled me in on that a little while ago...
So why do you have an issue with DIRs, or do you?

My issue here isn't with DIRs per se, but with a single poster starting five of them in rapid succession and sharply reducing the list of available threads. Perhaps DIRs should have their own list, and indicate who they are intended for.

Well you sure got that wrong!
Nobody who produces a thread 'consumes' threads, but 'creates' threads.......... is that fair? OK?

What I said was that he was consuming 30% of the list.

Same thing happened to me in the Hinduism DIR. Since then I try to stay away from that DIR. The warning remains visible to frighten me off to venture there again.

Yeah, I've been chastised in the past for something similar, and now avoid all DIRs. It's not clear where one is welcome.

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
I think one solution to this problem is to just log on more so you don't miss any.

Sleep is overrated anyway.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think one solution to this problem is to just log on more so you don't miss any.

Sleep is overrated anyway.

Elmo has a solution:

2bqzyl.jpg

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My issue here isn't with DIRs per se, but with a single poster starting five of them in rapid succession and sharply reducing the list of available threads. Perhaps DIRs should have their own list, and indicate who they are intended for.
I don't know what you mean by "list of available threads." Does the fact that one person starts too many threads all at once make other threads unavailable? What do you mean by available? :confused: