• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moratorium on DIRs

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Isn't it inappropriate that one poster can consume 30% of the new threads list with threads that exclude most of RF? Why is this even an option?

New Threads

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't see how it matters. Is it a thread you really want to post on or something? If so, you can make a thread about the same subject in a general area.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Because some people want to ask specific questions or discuss specific subjects with specific parts of the community.

If there is a specific subject you want to discuss outside the DIR you can always post the same question in a different subforum (within reason, i.e. not calling out other posters or spamming every dir thread).

Jumi

You may be having an itchy posting finger. :) I've sometimes wanted to post in DIRs I didn't belong in since they were more interesting than the ones currently available to me.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I dictated nothing. Who are you to tell me what opinions I can express or questions I can ask? There may be good answers to my question. I await them.
Your OP came off as passive-aggressive, so I responded in kind. The answer is that threads on RF are pretty much randomly generated, as thoughts come into people's heads and they would like answers. This is just the nature of fora, so it goes. We can't really tell a poster who is posting legitimate, non-spam threads to stop, because there is really no justification for that. It's an option because they may seek answers from a specific group, especially as this is Religious Forums, people are seeking answers from a specific religious or non-religious group.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We can't really tell a poster who is posting legitimate, non-spam threads to stop

Who did that? I would be satisfied to see DIR threads listed separately.

I want 10 threads to choose from. There are only six now because somebody decided to exlude the rest of us (he's just started two more DIR threads).

Is RF for him and the people he chooses to allow participate on this forum?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The one point that makes sense to me is the current new thread list is too short. Interesting threads from the East Coast can disappear by the time I'm at my computer on the West Coast.

Personally I'd like a "new threads today" or some other option to showing new threads beyond the short list we have available.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Isn't it inappropriate that one poster can consume 30% of the new threads list with threads that exclude most of RF? Why is this even an option?

New Threads
What do you mean by threads exclude most the RF population? The threads you listed are in common areas.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

New Threads
Can you further explain what you mean -- one poster consuming 30% of the new threads list with threads that exclude most of RF? Why do those new threads exclude most of RF? Are people prohibited from answering in those DIRs? I am confused :confused: but I want to understand what you mean. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Who did that? I would be satisfied to see DIR threads listed separately.

I want 10 threads to choose from. There are only six now because somebody decided to exlude the rest of us (he's just started two more DIR threads).

Is RF for him and the people he chooses to allow participate on this forum?
What is a DIR thread? o_O

Curious George

Veteran Member
What is a DIR thread? o_O
A DIR thread is a Discuss Individual Religions thread. These threads are for discussion about a particular religion. They are by and large posters of a specific religion to discuss that religion. All may read these threads and learn from them. People are excluded from posting within a DIR that they have not selected in their settings. Before this, posters were allowed to ask genuine questions, but were not allowed to argue or debate within those threads. This required lots of moderation. Partly due to this, the site changed formatting as now posting in these forums is not a default option.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
A DIR thread is a Discuss Individual Religions thread. These threads are for discussion about a particular religion. They are by and large posters of a specific religion to discuss that religion. All may read these threads and learn from them. People are excluded from posting within a DIR that they have not selected in their settings. Before this, posters were allowed to ask genuine questions, but were not allowed to argue or debate within those threads. This required lots of moderation. Partly due to this, the site changed formatting as now posting in these forums is not a default option.
Thanks. So are you saying that if you select these DIRs in your settings we can post on them and discuss with others in these DIRs even if you do not belong to that religion? Are we allowed to argue or debate within those threads if we do not belong to that religion?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thanks. So are you saying that if you select these DIRs in your settings we can post on them and discuss with others in these DIRs even if you do not belong to that religion? Are we allowed to argue or debate within those threads if we do not belong to that religion?
From the rules:

"10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there."
RF Rules

For example, since I'm not a Christian, I wouldn't post in the Christian DIR. The thing about asking questions is probably a bit outdated now since we have the Religion Q&A forum and Interfaith Discussion.

Curious George

Veteran Member
No, you are not supposed to select them if you are not affiliated with them. They are discussion threads therefore they are not meant for debate. Click on some of them and read there content. The spirit of the DIR should be clear. They are exclusive because outsider input can devalue productive understanding and discussion. They are non argumentative for the same reason. While outsider information and argument can at times enhance productivity and foster understanding, there is plenty of available space for that in the other forums. There is no subkect that is in a DIR that cannot also be discussed and argued elsewhere on this site.