• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mor tolerance on RF

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram ji

Your perspective has a lot of merit, but let me ask you, how much intolerance is wise to tolerate? At what point does tolerating intolerance force you to abandon your own values?

this question being hypertetical is allmost impossible to answer as we most probably all have a different idea as to what constitutes intolerance and at what point it steps over the mark .

but as for this post who is being intolerant ? Surely this post is asking for us to find tollerence in our hearts as a good way forward for the new year .

I can speak only for myself, but I'm concerned mostly about universal human rights, not terrorism.

you were stating that you are concerned about human rights , what I am suggesting is that rather than taking an agressive stance with the first muslim you come across may just be counterproductive as he canot be held responcible for the actions of all Muslims , maybe even he will agree with you on issues of human rights if you sit down and address the matter rationaly , .....

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
you were stating that you are concerned about human rights , what I am suggesting is that rather than taking an agressive stance with the first muslim you come across may just be counterproductive as he canot be held responcible for the actions of all Muslims , maybe even he will agree with you on issues of human rights if you sit down and address the matter rationaly , .....

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see that I did just that, and that I was told clearly that there would be no compromising.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram ji

If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see that I did just that, and that I was told clearly that there would be no compromising.

Surely one does not need to compromise ones religious beleifs
just as you do not need to compromise your humanitarian values, ...one merely needs to seek the goodness in all paths and not to surcome to fear of the stranger, it is only this fear which sepperates one from another , ...if we truely want peace in this world , we must sometimes be prepaired to be the first hold out a hand of freindship and trust .

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
namaskaram ji

Surely one does not need to compromise ones religious beleifs
just as you do not need to compromise your humanitarian values, ...one merely needs to seek the goodness in all paths and not to surcome to fear of the stranger, it is only this fear which sepperates one from another , ...if we truely want peace in this world , we must sometimes be prepaired to be the first hold out a hand of freindship and trust .

I wish all ideologies were so benign that we could always take your approach. I think that your approach should be the way we start our discussions. But what do you do when you find you WOULD need to compromise your values? And also, I understand that fear is often a motivator, but in this case we really have a clash of values.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram ji

@icehorse
without a specific example it is difficult to say what should be done

but what you have qouted at the foot of your posts gives a good guideline , ....."without love day to day, insanity's king" ...

so first we should try to apply the loving and respectfull approach of reason , if that fails perhaps we should just try again , ....if we stoop to a less loving and caring approach we run the risk of becoming as mad as they , ....

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I think there needs to be a distinction between criticising ideas/ideologies/religions and attack on people.

If I talk about an aspect of Islam (or what some group believe Islam is), for example, I am not attacking Muslims. I could however maybe say certain Muslims' conduct is bad, but that doesn't mean I hate all Muslims.

It's like anywhere in the world. There are bad ideas, ideologies and religious aspects... There's even people who interpret things in a bad manner and that makes them behave badly. That doesn't mean I hate all Muslims.

It's very difficult at times to have an honest discussion because people take things too personally. A critique of your ideas/beliefs are not an attack on you.

But yes, I feel there's been quite a bit of tension on RF lately. That's partially why I haven't posted much lately (other than being busy at times).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no problem with people who hold incorrect or faulty views, as long as they are friendly and respectful.
Yes, it's the other ones you have to look out for - respectful and friendly views held by faulty people...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't mind that. I've yet to encounter a person who isn't faulty.
I was having a dig at those libs who stick up for Islam even though it's against all they stand for (whilst they rail on xians for refusing to bake a cake...) Friendly views, very fauly people...damaging in-fact...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I was having a dig at those libs who stick up for Islam even though it's against all they stand for (whilst they rail on xians for refusing to bake a cake...) Friendly views, very fauly people...damaging in-fact...

I was just being difficult.