• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moon theories out the window now too!

exchemist

Veteran Member
"The traditional hypothesis is that approximately 4.5 billion years ago there was a collision between Earth and a Mars-sized proto-planet (named Theia). Most scientists believe that that collision shot a large portion of Earth's metal-poor upper crust into orbit, eventually forming the Moon.

One puzzling aspect of this theory of the Moon's formation, has been that the Moon has a higher concentration of iron oxides than the Earth -- a fact well-known to scientists. This particular research contributes to the field in that it provides insights about a section of the moon that has not been frequently studied and posits that there may exist an even higher concentration of metal deeper below the surface. It is possible, say the researchers that the discrepancy between the amount of iron on the Earth's crust and the Moon could be even greater than scientists thought, which pulls into question the current understanding of how the Moon was formed."
Higher concentration of metal in Moon's craters provides new insights to its origin: New observations could challenge previous theories of how the Moon was formed

Here we go again......:rolleyes:

dad

Undefeated
Many planets have moons, and many of these were formed by accretion....... not creation! :D
Show one example?
It's a tough job to discern how our planets and moons formed and established their orbits at the beginning of the Solar system and we are finding out more by the month
Never happened.
They misread what they see in creation.

........ so for any believers in the 6 day creation to stand by and laugh like loons at each new discovery or decision change is just another exhibition of 'goofery'. .
To disbelieve their religion is goofy. Got it.

dad

Undefeated
I don´t think so.

This only counts for metals in craters and if these are created from impact, this doesn´t say anything about the factual formation of the Moon as claimed in the linked article.
If stuff from under the moon was brought up, as they suggest, I guess it might.
Several of the other planetary lunar motions shows a so called "locked orbit" as with the Moon which logically points towards a direct birth from their mother planets very early, "approximately 4.5 billion years ago" when the entire Solar System was made from a single molten hot sphere of "gas and dust" from where the planets divided from the coming Sun.
There is no reason to think that God making several similar moons means anything about imaginary hits actually.

dad

Undefeated
Just because there is new information does not mean the theory failed. Far from it, considering there was no failure in the first place, but rather a refinement made through fact making the theory stronger than ever.
How does finding out the composition of the moon doesn't fit with your fable make your fable stronger?

QuestioningMind

"The traditional hypothesis is that approximately 4.5 billion years ago there was a collision between Earth and a Mars-sized proto-planet (named Theia). Most scientists believe that that collision shot a large portion of Earth's metal-poor upper crust into orbit, eventually forming the Moon.

One puzzling aspect of this theory of the Moon's formation, has been that the Moon has a higher concentration of iron oxides than the Earth -- a fact well-known to scientists. This particular research contributes to the field in that it provides insights about a section of the moon that has not been frequently studied and posits that there may exist an even higher concentration of metal deeper below the surface. It is possible, say the researchers that the discrepancy between the amount of iron on the Earth's crust and the Moon could be even greater than scientists thought, which pulls into question the current understanding of how the Moon was formed."
Higher concentration of metal in Moon's craters provides new insights to its origin: New observations could challenge previous theories of how the Moon was formed

Oh, PLEASE dad... enlighten us all as to what your Magical Book has to say on the subject! That way we can know the TRUTH about the moon, and not what stupid SCIENCE claims to have figured out. After all, everyone knows that your Magical Book has done far more to help us figure out how the universe actually works than the silly scientific method ever has.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
@dad ,

I noticed that you self-identify as "undefeated" which to me assures that you see threads here as contests and that you will never agree that you made a mistake. If you did, you would have to surrender a confrontational assertion of always being right.

Of course, when people present their POV's or supporting information, they do so because they believe they're right. That's human nature. But the claim of "undefeated" convinces me to state my perspective at times but not to expect a substantive discussion but rather having my point dismissed with no further ado.

dad

Undefeated
As are many other aspects of life.

Like my belief, based on this discussion, that your understanding of what religion is is sophomoric. That belief is not religious. It is a product of experiential evidence.
False. Name any evidence that time is the same in deep space or that nature was the same on earth in the far past?

dad

Undefeated
Oh, PLEASE dad... enlighten us all as to what your Magical Book has to say on the subject! That way we can know the TRUTH about the moon, and not what stupid SCIENCE claims to have figured out. After all, everyone knows that your Magical Book has done far more to help us figure out how the universe actually works than the silly scientific method ever has.
As I see it, the truth is that God created the moon.

dad

Undefeated
@dad ,

I noticed that you self-identify as "undefeated" which to me assures that you see threads here as contests and that you will never agree that you made a mistake. If you did, you would have to surrender a confrontational assertion of always being right.

Of course, when people present their POV's or supporting information, they do so because they believe they're right. That's human nature. But the claim of "undefeated" convinces me to state my perspective at times but not to expect a substantive discussion but rather having my point dismissed with no further ado.
We all make mistakes. I do not feel that Scripture is a mistake though, or God.

Pointing out a history of mistakes in science does not mean we are perfect either. The issue is not people, it is models and claims and evidence etc.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yeah, that's it, yeah, God created the moon, yeah, that's it, that's the ticket, it was God...
And he made it look like it happened about 4.5 billion years ago, in a collision between the proto-Earth and Theia....

But really, it was just 6,000 years ago, because the Bible says its so...:confused:o_O:mad::D:eek::rolleyes:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
We all make mistakes. I do not feel that Scripture is a mistake though, or God.

Pointing out a history of mistakes in science does not mean we are perfect either. The issue is not people, it is models and claims and evidence etc.
Yep! Science is not perfect, and is constantly changing as more and more information is collected and analyzed.

And yeah, science is people: you are asserting that scientists and those who have trust in science are incompetent, liars and easily fooled.

Religion is also people: in your case, your "feeling" that scripture and God are infallible, not mistakes. And somehow, that seems to mean that YOU are not mistaken about anything...imagine that...:rolleyes: