• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions about Hinduism

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I couldn't help but wonder just who is 'full of themselves' and how 'de-stressing' it is to read/reply to any of his posts. lol

I know Lord Siva will make me pay for this by listening to Rudra Rudra Maha Rudra again, but it will be worth it. I prefer to be lost in bhakti anyway. ;)

Om Namah Shivay

Stormcry

How presumptuous for someone whose statements and ideas have been proved wrong and ignorant as much via experience than scripture.

At best you are merely your own limited truth, that makes you only living in your own little world of ignorance, misconception and racial hate, please, have respect for Sri Krsna and do not associate Him with your petty egocentric opinions.

Aum Namah Shivaya

People's personal opinions can prove me wrong , But scriptures can never :)

I didn't said all that to prove supremacy of hindus . I talked about those mlecchas who intentionally create misconceptions about Hinduism .

Where is the supremacy ? In fact ,If my intention would be like that , then I would like to quote verses from puranas . Isn't it ? . BTW , there are many verses about castless persons in puranas .

Hari govind .

Last edited:

Stormcry

I couldn't help but wonder just who is 'full of themselves' and how 'de-stressing' it is to read/reply to any of his posts. lol

Om Namah Shivay

Why so much hatred feeling from shiva devotee ? I didn't know that calling oneself a non-hindu is an insultation. This itself is a supremacy :eek:

If I have done something wrong , Please forgive me . :(

Last edited:

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Hinduism♥Krishna;3639642 said:
Why so much hatred feeling from shiva devotee ? I didn't know that calling oneself a non-hindu is an insultation.

If I have done something wrong , Please forgive me . :(
Calling oneself a non-Hindu isn't an insult, calling another is.

It isn't hatred that I feel, it is an 'about time I move on from all this' feel. If you are the 'Truth' as you said, how can you do anything wrong? If your actions are beyond reproach, what is there to forgive? Do you see it now? Do you understand?

You say you love Sri Krishna, but when was the last time you let Him in and I mean really let him in? You know, reducing you to a shell of a man? leaving you a babbling mess on the floor?

You say that your scripture trumps personal experience...can your Lord Krishna be found in a book? How much reading do you need to do before you can 'experience' Krishna? Oh wait, that's right, personal experience means nothing anyway.

Until you've had that personal experience, of course it is going to mean nothing....to you!

Once you have though, you'll understand...you'll know. I also realise that it's too much to expect from me, but all I am asking is that you open up your heart and just love Sri Krishna a bit more.

Don't think what it's like to be a Hindu, feel what it is like to be one. Breathe it...live it...be it.

This is why I had to hang up on you before...you are just not ready yet.

Om Namah Shivay

Last edited:

Stormcry

Calling oneself a non-Hindu isn't an insult, calling another is. It isn't hatred that I feel, it is an 'about time I move on from this' feel. If you are the 'Truth' as you said, how can you do anything wrong? If your actions are beyond reproach, what is there to forgive? Do you see it now?

You say you love Sri Krishna, but when was the last time you let Him in and I mean really let him in? You know, reducing you to a shell of a man? leaving you a babbling mess on the floor?

You say that your scripture trumps personal experience...can your Lord Krishna be found in a book? How much reading do you need to do before you can 'experience' Krishna? Oh wait, that's right, personal experience means nothing.

Until you've had that personal experience, of course it is going to mean nothing....to you!

Once you have though, you'll understand...you'll know. I also realise that it's too much to expect from me, but all I am asking is that you open up your heart and just love Sri Krishna more...more...

Don't think what it's like to be a Hindu, feel what it is like to be one. Breathe it...live it...be it.

This is why I had to hang up on you...you are not ready yet.

Om Namah Shivay

In fact You and Me are not different . :) and this should be the ultimate truth .

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig

I know Lord Siva will make me pay for this by listening to Rudra Rudra Maha Rudra again, but it will be worth it. I prefer to be lost in bhakti anyway. ;)

Om Namah Shivay

You can't be lost in Shiva, sister, for there is nothing else than Shiva.

Namo namah Shiva shankar !

Aum Namah Shivaya

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
You can't be lost in Shiva, sister, for there is nothing else than Shiva.

Namo namah Shiva shankar !

Aum Namah Shivaya
Yeah, 'I' know that....and 'you' know what 'I' mean...'sister'. :p

I still can't help but love Him though, even though knowing this.

Namo Namah Shiva Shankar!

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism♥Krishna;3639485 said:
Oh really? So the person born in bramhana family isn't hindu and the person born as castless is a hindu? :D

From your posts I feel that you have a non-hindu mind. You don't consider any importance of varna in vedic dharma.

Remember Following hinduism is not a joke .What do you think, any tom, dick and harry would become hindu? :D

It's kind of difficult to address your posts at all. You really need to get around more. At Rameswaram there is a western Brahmin. The priests there took him in, trained him, and he's accepted.

According to you, some 20 million people aren't Hindus. According to the shastras that say this, if a Hindu even travels across the sea, he loses his Hinduness. So Swami Vivekenanda, Sri Ravi Shankar, Prabhulapada, Chidananda Saraswati, and dozens more, are all no longer Hindus.

But you know, it is your opinion, and you can keep it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Last time I heard, most democracies have free speech. But in Canada and elsewhere, one can also be prosecuted for hate speech, which is what your posts border on.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Interesting. Although couldn't it be said that the closest analogy to the "devil" in Hinduism would be "Maya" or "delusion"? In the sense that the devil indirectly brings suffering and chaos but is still under God's control.. Maya indirectly brings suffering and chaos but is still a part of God's Divine Plan. What do you think?

I know Yogananda, who spends much of his work trying to unify Eastern Religion and Western Religion believes that the Devil is analogous to Maya. From a scriptural standpoint I honestly believe this makes sense - all of the crazy personifications of the devil that have been created really don't have much scriptural basis. It is blatantly obvious that if one reads Job, Satan is a worker of God, under God's control, one of his "tools" of creation if you will.
Punkdbass, I have strong objections to these Hindu gurus in America and particularly Yogananda. What they teach is a caricature of Hinduism in their effort to make Hinduism acceptable to Christians (so that they can establish their Foundations) to the extent that Hinduism ceases to be Hinduism and becomes Christianity. Prabhupada made all biblical prophets into Hindu rishis.

If you want a devil, then what is wrong with Christianity itself. Yogananda came up with his own time-scale of yugas, which is totally different from what Hindus believe.

If evil is maya, then in Hinduism, even good is 'maya'. And 'maya' is not the work of any God, but it is because of our own limited senses and capabilities to understand.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Punkdbass, I have strong objections to these Hindu gurus in America and particularly Yogananda.

There are some very traditional Gurus over here, but I agree with you on the 'mix and match' ones. Ironically, it is just no longer necessary. Many devotees whom I talk to are quite happy to drop Christianity entirely. With the influx of immigrant built Hindu temples, it's far easier to access Indian Hinduism without going to India for 5 years.

Still there are some whose subconscious fears won't allow that.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Yogananda came up with his own time-scale of yugas, which is totally different from what Hindus believe.
Actually, that was his Guru, Sri Yukteshwar Giri who did that...and I also must thank Sri Yukteshwar Giri for bringing me back into Hinduism...it's a long story, that basically goes like this:

Back in Dec 2012 - Dec 6 it was exactly, I wasn't a Hindu. I still had some 'latent Hindu tendencies' and one of these just had to do with that Mayan Calendar thing...you know, the whole 'end of days' scare back then?...I decided to research into it.

During my research, I came across Yukteshwar Giri's Yuga timescale theory and I must admit, it held some credible weight.

For you see, when a Yuga gets transferred to months (moons) instead of years, it has the uncanny coincidence of being the precise time that it takes for one whole Procession of the Equinox to occur. My sense of logic had just totally overrode any 'beliefs' I ever held about this...and it still does.

During my study of Yukteshwar's Yuga theory, I saw a recommendation for me on Youtube. It was Kalabhairavashtakam...I never heard about Kalabhairavashtakam before that. I knew by heart, Lingashtakam, Bilvashtakam, Shivashtakam, Rudrashtakam, Shiva Tandava Stotram but what was this Kalabhairavashtakam? Never heard of that one before...so I decided to check it out.

I had totally broken down about half way through it...yup, I was a Hindu again at that point.

I went to research the Bhajan and Lord Bhairava in general...I didn't know about Bhairava's many forms...so I studied it. I looked on the website and saw that Bhairava Jayanti was on Dec 6 2012...

Yeah, it was the 'end of the world' alright, because wherever I was, it just wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Om Namah Shivaya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is sad we had such a nice thread going on teaching people and dispelling lies.

That was me that started this, fully knowing 'somebody' would come on and react. For that I apologize. But I just figured somebody had to say it, because it is one of the great myths out there, even in the west. I think other religions also try to keep this myth going out of protectionism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For example, trying to link Shiva with cannabis.. I haven't researched it enough really but my gut tells me that whatever plant was associated with Shiva is not literally cannabis but is symbolic for something like divine wisdom.

Anyways, did drugs ever play a pivatol role in Hinduism or was it more of a later invented tradition that was for the most part divergent of the core paths and teachings of Hinduism?
Use of drugs is prohibited in Hinduism. Shiva is not associated with cannabis but with a great poison, Halahala, and Belladonna, which also is very poisionous. He is offered belladonna flowers. That is to show that his might is beyond even these. Shiva and Parvati making cannabis concoctions is considered fun in Hinduism and not truth. Yes, Hindus do not mind a little fun with their Gods (spare the Goddesses, that is touchy business).

The followers of left-hand practices in Hinduism use intoxicants, but that is not the way of general public. We hardly had any drug problem up to the time that western tourists introduced it to us. Cannabis drinks, however, were freely accepted.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Punkdbass, I have strong objections to these Hindu gurus in America and particularly Yogananda. What they teach is a caricature of Hinduism in their effort to make Hinduism acceptable to Christians (so that they can establish their Foundations) to the extent that Hinduism ceases to be Hinduism and becomes Christianity. Prabhupada made all biblical prophets into Hindu rishis.

If you want a devil, then what is wrong with Christianity itself. Yogananda came up with his own time-scale of yugas, which is totally different from what Hindus believe.

If evil is maya, then in Hinduism, even good is 'maya'. And 'maya' is not the work of any God, but it is because of our own limited senses and capabilities to understand.

I know ultimately you mean well with what you are saying here, and are just trying to look out for me - a seeker who is very much interested in Hinduism.. but I think your statement that Yogananda's version of Hinduism "ceases to be Hinduism and becomes Christianity," has gone a little overboard. With all due respect, this is not true. As a Jew who has grown up around Christians, often surrounded by fundamentalist Christians, and as one who has read many books by liberal Christian scholar John Shelby Spong, and conservatives N.T. Wright and C.S. Lewis - I have a pretty decent idea of what Christianity is. Also, I've read several books by Yogananda and I can tell you with great confidence that Yogananda's version of Yoga is not at all associated with mainstream historical Christianity and it's views of atonement theology... I have yet to find ANYTHING in any of his books related to atonement theology - which from a historical perspective has been by and large the heart of Christianity as much as I think it disagrees with what Jesus actually taught but that is another story.

Part of the SRF's mission is to show the "complete harmony and basic oneness of original Christianity as taught by Jesus Christ and original Yoga as taught by Bhagavan Krishna; and to show these principles of truth are the common scientific foundation of all true religions." If you are ever interested, I highly encourage you to read Yogananda's "The Yoga of Jesus" or his commentary on the New Testament, or read Alan Watts' "The Supreme Identity: an essay on oriental metaphysic and the Christian Religion". If you can read any of these with an open mind and heart and honestly tell me you think Christianity and Hinduism have no core similarities, and that if they do, you don't think it's worthwhile to enlighten the public to these similarities... then I will take your opinion more seriously. There is a lot of problems in this world, a lot of disunity.. and I for one believe there is a metaphysical truth that pervades all of the great spiritual traditions of time.. yes, of course they still have unique differences and we should respect that, but I hold true to the premise that enlightening the public to these similarities can help bring more harmony to the world. So I'm perfectly fine with Yogananda trying to project "yoga" teachings into Jesus's words (by the way, it is not so much the other way around as you seem to believe), because I can see in my mind the unity he is describing, and what good it can do in this world where we desperately need more unity. I'm also fine with what he's doing because he's helping to introduce westerners to Hinduism - and I know there are many seekers out there like myself who could benefit from learning more about Hinduism... you have to start somewhere, and in the past 21 years of my life - nothing has ever caught my eye to start learning about Hinduism until I started getting into Alan Watts and then Yogananda.

But for now, everything on my journey has drawn me to Yogananda's teachings.. I'm relating to them more than anything else I've tried, and I'm the happiest I've ever been. Even if Yogananda ultimately isn't "Kosher" from a Hindu perspective (who the hell decides this anyways?), I'm immensely thankful that he has helped bring me to Hinduism, for I have found much peace and fulfillment from Hindu teachings... and I'm not turning back.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
During my research, I came across Yukteshwar Giri's Yuga timescale theory and I must admit, it held some credible weight.
My obeisance to Kalabhairava, but for your information, the complete cycle of precession of equinoxes happens in nearly 25,800 years (Great Year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and not 24,000 years as Sri Yukteshwar knew. Perhaps Lahiri Mahasaya informed him wrongly. And that has no connection with the yugas. Yugas are a matter of faith with Hindus and not changeable (just like the 10 avataras). That is heresy.

Last edited:

Kalidas

There are some very traditional Gurus over here, but I agree with you on the 'mix and match' ones. Ironically, it is just no longer necessary. Many devotees whom I talk to are quite happy to drop Christianity entirely. With the influx of immigrant built Hindu temples, it's far easier to access Indian Hinduism without going to India for 5 years.

Still there are some whose subconscious fears won't allow that.

Don't apologisr for the things other people say. I am happy you spoke up, talk likr his will discourage people from ever wanting to learn more about Hinduism which us a GREAT tragedy to upholding dharma.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I know ultimately you mean well with what you are saying here, and are just trying to look out for me - a seeker who is very much interested in Hinduism.. but I think your statement that Yogananda's version of Hinduism "

I have to agree with Aupmanyav on this. Indeed, SRF is not mainstream Christianity, but neither is it Hinduism. It's a far cry from Hinduism.

A cross greets you at the entrance to their center. That's an indicator of where they stand, I think. Hindus would have an Aum, or better yet, a Ganesha. As far as I know, there is no worship at all of any Hindu deities. In their own glossary, there is a lot of mention of Christianity, Christ-Consciousness, etc. and there is an entry for Hinduism, but the definition is 'see Sanatana Dharma' and then the definition for 'Sanatana Dharma' is 'the old name for Hinduism'.

Their own literature describes themselves as a non-sectarian fellowship. They don't say if they mean sect as in Christian sect, or in Hindu sect.

So maybe you could write tham and ask a simple question: "Are you Hindu?" My guess is you will either get no response, or a no.

This is not to say that SRF or other groups like them don't fill some sort of need, as clearly they do, or nobody would go there, or take the courses.

But to claim they are a Hindu organisation is one huge stretch.

My personal take is that they suit a need for people very programmed in western faiths, but still curious about the east. They still need a prophet, a saviour, a messiah, and the Guru (in this case Yogananda) fulfills that remaining need, as sort of a Christ replacement. But, as you said, it certainly does fill a need. I've had this discussion many times with people very similar to you whose first encounter with 'Hinduism' at all was some such organisation. Occasionally it's been said that I hate Christianity, which is far from the truth. I'm merely pointing out the obvious. In my own case, I was raised atheist/agnostic so my first encounter with Hinduism was Hinduism in a more pure straight up sense, and I loved it, and now try to live it in its entirety. But I can also see why some need smaller steps too.

But that very concept doesn't even exist in Hinduism, other than remotely in the concept of avatar.

If you want a feel for Hinduism, I suggest you try visiting an immigrant temple, where there is no catering to the western subconscious going on. But please be aware that many western people can't go that far, because their own subconscious won't let them. (something about the evils of idol worship) :)

Last edited:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
In the SRF both Jesus and Krishna are considered equal in terms of embodiment of God - i.e. both are viewed as Avatars that one could worship. I am not trying to argue but merely offer clarification. I am going to set up a thread on why Hinduism does or does not view Jesus as an Avatar: I would love to learn more about this subject.

And I will call the SRF this week and ask them if they would consider themselves Hindus and I will let you know.. I'm glad you brought this up! I have talked to them once before about some doubts I had about their organization and I had a wonderful conversation with them. I will be sure to ask this question, who knows, perhaps you are right in that they would not call themselves Hindus.. but such "separation," "distinction," or exclusiveness of not wanting to be associated with Hinduism would seem so contradictory to the ideals and values of the SRF I've read about... I'm very curious to hear now what they have to say.

Vinayaka said:
My personal take is that they suit a need for people very programmed in western faiths, but still curious about the east. They still need a prophet, a saviour, a messiah, and the Guru (in this case Yogananda) fulfills that remaining need, as sort of a Christ replacement.

But that very concept doesn't even exist in Hinduism, other than remotely in the concept of avatar.
In all of my reading and study of SRF material thus far, I can say with complete confidence that Yogananda is in no way the "Savior" prototype of mainstream Christianity... i.e. like I said before, Yogananda and the SRF's teachings have nothing whatsoever to do with atonement theology, they would not claim that we have "original sin" that we need "saving from."

Rather the SRF fully endorses and primarily expounds upon the concept of Avatars - which is definitely a Hindu concept as you've said. The main Avatars the SRF focuses upon are Jesus and Krishna - with a line of 3 or 4 primary SRF gurus.

Anyways, I think the key problem here is the SRF views Jesus as an Avatar, and many Hindu's do not - although you did say in our previous discussions that Hindu's vary on their opinions towards him, and that there are some super liberal Hindu's who would view Jesus as an avatar.

Vinayaka said:
If you want a feel for Hinduism, I suggest you try visiting an immigrant temple, where there is no catering to the western subconscious going on. But please be aware that many western people can't go that far, because their own subconscious won't let them. (something about the evils of idol worship)

I do want a feel for Hinduism :) I'm taking little steps though, slowly growing each day in my meditation and spirituality... One of my Hindu friends at school here wants to take me to a Hindu Temple in Minneapolis before I graduate, and next year in graduate school I will be living in a big city and will definitely be able to visit legit Hindu Temples. I am very exited for this.

But in the mean time, I have a question: Clearly some of you guys here don't think too highly of the SRF if one wants to learn more about Hinduism.. and that's fine, I do not wish to "convert" any of you to acknowledgment of the value of Yogananda's teachings.. although I do hope that I can bring light to misunderstandings about the organization. But anyways, if one like myself wants to learn more about Hinduism - what guru's would you recommend? Thus far I've primarily been learning through Yogananda and I've read some of Swami Sivananda's works.

Namaste

Kalidas

In the SRF both Jesus and Krishna are considered equal in terms of embodiment of God - i.e. both are viewed as Avatars that one could worship. I am not trying to argue but merely offer clarification. I am going to set up a thread on why Hinduism does or does not view Jesus as an Avatar: I would love to learn more about this subject.

And I will call the SRF this week and ask them if they would consider themselves Hindus and I will let you know.. I'm glad you brought this up! I have talked to them once before about some doubts I had about their organization and I had a wonderful conversation with them. I will be sure to ask this question, who knows, perhaps you are right in that they would not call themselves Hindus.. but such "separation," "distinction," or exclusiveness of not wanting to be associated with Hinduism would seem so contradictory to the ideals and values of the SRF I've read about... I'm very curious to hear now what they have to say.

In all of my reading and study of SRF material thus far, I can say with complete confidence that Yogananda is in no way the "Savior" prototype of mainstream Christianity... i.e. like I said before, Yogananda and the SRF's teachings have nothing whatsoever to do with atonement theology, they would not claim that we have "original sin" that we need "saving from."

Rather the SRF fully endorses and primarily expounds upon the concept of Avatars - which is definitely a Hindu concept as you've said. The main Avatars the SRF focuses upon are Jesus and Krishna - with a line of 3 or 4 primary SRF gurus.

Anyways, I think the key problem here is the SRF views Jesus as an Avatar, and many Hindu's do not - although you did say in our previous discussions that Hindu's vary on their opinions towards him, and that there are some super liberal Hindu's who would view Jesus as an avatar.

I do want a feel for Hinduism :) I'm taking little steps though, slowly growing each day in my meditation and spirituality... One of my Hindu friends at school here wants to take me to a Hindu Temple in Minneapolis before I graduate, and next year in graduate school I will be living in a big city and will definitely be able to visit legit Hindu Temples. I am very exited for this.

But in the mean time, I have a question: Clearly some of you guys here don't think too highly of the SRF if one wants to learn more about Hinduism.. and that's fine, I do not wish to "convert" any of you to acknowledgment of the value of Yogananda's teachings.. although I do hope that I can bring light to misunderstandings about the organization. But anyways, if one like myself wants to learn more about Hinduism - what guru's would you recommend? Thus far I've primarily been learning through Yogananda and I've read some of Swami Sivananda's works.

Namaste
I don't really know them but from what I hear I don't think I have issues with them. Their just a religious group that has different ideas that may or may not help you. I would be a very bad Hindu to try and diswuade someone from trying to reach God even if I think the.path is misguided(I'm not saying I do).

Vinayaka belongs to a very great sampradaya. The Himalayan. society I think.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
I don't really know them but from what I hear I don't think I have issues with them. Their just a religious group that has different ideas that may or may not help you. I would be a very bad Hindu to try and diswuade someone from trying to reach God even if I think the.path is misguided(I'm not saying I do).

Vinayaka belongs to a very great sampradaya. The Himalayan. society I think.

Thank you for the kind, understanding words.. I guess I have to spend some more frubals before I can give you another one haha :)