• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misconceptions about Hinduism

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In the SRF both Jesus and Krishna are considered equal in terms of embodiment of God - i.e. both are viewed as Avatars that one could worship. I am not trying to argue but merely offer clarification. I am going to set up a thread on why Hinduism does or does not view Jesus as an Avatar: I would love to learn more about this subject.

There are few of those threads already, and quite heated I might add.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vinayaka belongs to a very great sampradaya. The Himalayan. society I think.

My sampradaya is the Nandinatha sampradaya of monistic Saiva Siddhanta.

The publishing wing is called Himalayan Academy, so you got one word right. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In all of my reading and study of SRF material thus far, I can say with complete confidence that Yogananda is in no way the "Savior" prototype of mainstream Christianity...

Don't get me wrong. I totally realise they do not fit mainstream Christianity in any sense of the word. But neither are they Hindu in much sense of the word.

I have never studied their literature at all in fact, as I ended my search rather quickly back at age 20 or so. If it works for you, that's great. Having had no interest in Christ, I imagine any interest in SRF wouldn't have lasted long.

Only the Vaishnavite branch of Hinduism stresses the avatar concept. Vaishnavism has more similarities to Christianity than any other Hindu sect. Since I'm a Saiva, I don't believe in avatar period. In Saivism, we believe in Great Gurus, Satgurus and teachers, but not avatars. That stuff just doesn't make sense to me.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
Don't get me wrong. I totally realise they do not fit mainstream Christianity in any sense of the word. But neither are they Hindu in much sense of the word.

I have never studied their literature at all in fact, as I ended my search rather quickly back at age 20 or so. If it works for you, that's great. Having had no interest in Christ, I imagine any interest in SRF wouldn't have lasted long.

Only the Vaishnavite branch of Hinduism stresses the avatar concept. Vaishnavism has more similarities to Christianity than any other Hindu sect. Since I'm a Saiva, I don't believe in avatar period. In Saivism, we believe in Great Gurus, Satgurus and teachers, but not avatars. That stuff just doesn't make sense to me.
It is working for me right now at least. The last part of what you said is extremely interesting to me.. I did not know the Vaishnavite branch is the one that stresses the avatar concept while Saivism does not stress such a concept.. I will need to look more into this! Thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is working for me right now at least. The last part of what you said is extremely interesting to me.. I did not know the Vaishnavite branch is the one that stresses the avatar concept while Saivism does not stress such a concept.. I will need to look more into this! Thanks.

Hinduism is vast. :) Most Hindus themselves, sort of stuck in their own little corner, don't realise its vastness.

Kalidas

Like I'm a Shakta and I don't know what the thought on avatars are. I have heard some people say that Ananadamyoai was an.avatar of Kali Maa... but I only heard this from a few people and haven't found a lot of evidence to agree.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Like I'm a Shakta and I don't know what the thought on avatars are. I have heard some people say that Ananadamyoai was an.avatar of Kali Maa... but I only heard this from a few people and haven't found a lot of evidence to agree.

There is a tendency to use the word avatar ut of context, more as an honorific, for devotees of particular Gurus.

So Sai Baba is an avatar for Sai devotees, Mother Meera is an avatar for her devotees etc. But it's always limited to that particular guru's students and not accepted by the rest of us. So the whole term 'avatar' has taken on a new (neo) meaning.

Kalidas

There is a tendency to use the word avatar ut of context, more as an honorific, for devotees of particular Gurus.

So Sai Baba is an avatar for Sai devotees, Mother Meera is an avatar for her devotees etc. But it's always limited to that particular guru's students and not accepted by the rest of us. So the whole term 'avatar' has taken on a new (neo) meaning.

I see what your saying. The one story I heard of her doing this was at a Kali Maa temple in Bengal and as the myth goes as soon as she entered she spoke as if she was Kali etc etc etc. But I think there is a difference between channeling a deity through you as if you were a living murti and BEING the deity.

Living Murti... hhmmm that's a new one. NEW THREAD TIME!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see what your saying. The one story I heard of her doing this was at a Kali Maa temple in Bengal and as the myth goes as soon as she entered she spoke as if she was Kali etc etc etc.

I agree. Bit there are a ton of words that get misused. I should start a thread on that.
:)

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
My obeisance to Kalabhairava, but for your information, the complete cycle of precession of equinoxes happens in nearly 25,800 years (Great Year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and not 24,000 years as Sri Yukteshwar knew. Perhaps Lahiri Mahasaya informed him wrongly. And that has no connection with the yugas. Yugas are a matter of faith with Hindus and not changeable (just like the 10 avataras). That is heresy.
To be totally and brutally honest though, I don't really give the concept of Karma, Reincarnation or Yugas that much though, faith or whatsoever.

I figure that if I do good in this lifetime, then whatever happens after that or in the 'grand scheme of things' is Lord Siva's domain.

I figure I'm not going to remember it anyway, so what's the point?

Kalidas

To be totally and brutally honest though, I don't really give the concept of Karma, Reincarnation or Yugas that much though, faith or whatsoever.

I figure that if I do good in this lifetime, then whatever happens after that or in the 'grand scheme of things' is Lord Siva's domain.

I figure I'm not going to remember it anyway, so what's the point?

Without reincarnation what happens when wr die? One life one chance?

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
About Yogananda and the SRF.

I will say right now that the SRF is a good 'introduction' to Hinduism, but the scope is very limited.

Some people start off there and move on to other aspects of the faith, just like the TS.

I still have much time for Yogananda and the SRF. I realise they are 'christianising' Hinduism, but I feel that's more about showing tolerance...I could be wrong though.

Still, that path isn't mine.

I have enough problems with Patanjali 'yoganising' Hinduism...so I'll get back to ya. lol

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Without reincarnation what happens when wr die? One life one chance?
I don't know what happens when we die.

I am fully aware of the pancha sharira, but still...if our senses and experience dies with us, what can 'experience' things in an afterlife? What part of the shariras other than the annamaya kosha has this ability?

So, I don't know if we live once, or many times - I am keeping that option open, I mean...after I die, I'll come back and tell you what happens. lol

I just don't think about what 'may be' but about what 'is'.

That's all I know.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kalidas

I don't know what happens when we die.

I am fully aware of the pancha sharira, but still...if our senses and experience dies with us, what can 'experience' things in an afterlife? What part of the shariras other than the annamaya kosha has this ability?

So, I don't know if we live once, or many times - I am keeping that option open, I mean...after I die, I'll come back and tell you what happens. lol

I just don't think about what 'may be' but about what 'is'.

That's all I know.

Om Namah Shivaya

Good point touche.

spyrichuwel

Calling oneself a non-Hindu isn't an insult, calling another is.

It isn't hatred that I feel, it is an 'about time I move on from all this' feel. If you are the 'Truth' as you said, how can you do anything wrong? If your actions are beyond reproach, what is there to forgive? Do you see it now? Do you understand?

You say you love Sri Krishna, but when was the last time you let Him in and I mean really let him in? You know, reducing you to a shell of a man? leaving you a babbling mess on the floor?

You say that your scripture trumps personal experience...can your Lord Krishna be found in a book? How much reading do you need to do before you can 'experience' Krishna? Oh wait, that's right, personal experience means nothing anyway.

Until you've had that personal experience, of course it is going to mean nothing....to you!

Once you have though, you'll understand...you'll know. I also realise that it's too much to expect from me, but all I am asking is that you open up your heart and just love Sri Krishna a bit more.

Don't think what it's like to be a Hindu, feel what it is like to be one. Breathe it...live it...be it.

This is why I had to hang up on you before...you are just not ready yet.

Om Namah Shivay

I should add that in Vedic Dharma/Hinduism even twice born aren't really twice born until they acquire a spiritual birth through the Upanayana wherein you are revealed the Gayatri.

Yudhishthira said all twice born should be considered inferiors to mixed castes UNTIL they read the Vedas and practice rituals.

Hinduism treats blood and birth loosely and emphasizes more on practice.

We are not Jews/Judaism for example where birth is synonymous with spiritual accomplishment.

1:20 "...its not what you've done, its how he made you..."

I say power to all mlecchas and shudras who strive to be religious.

spyrichuwel

Guys don't forget you can become reborn as a Brahmin through good deeds, self control, love for Truth and spiritual austerity.

And Brahmins can also fall.