• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracle, Luck, Fate, Timing, God, etc.

We Never Know

No Slack
When things seem to defy the impossible, normal, expected, against the odds, etc.... What do you contribute that to?

For example John Doe has a car wreck at 110 mph. His car rolls 9 times, catches fire, and he is thrown from the wreckage but he walks away with only a few scrapes and bruises.

You say.......?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When things seem to defy the impossible, normal, expected, against the odds, etc.... What do you contribute that to?

For example John Doe has a car wreck at 110 mph. His car rolls 9 times, catches fire, and he is thrown from the wreckage but he walks away with only a few scrapes and bruises.

You say.......?
I say Allah (or God if you like) save people from going to early.
This is just my belief so its ok if others see it different.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

You say.......?
Luck.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Luck, fate, chance, good karma - take your pick. Or we could in typical fashion offer different opinions, claim that we are right and those that disagree are wrong. That's the way the game is played.

I'm going to pass on this one.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Statistics, most likely.

You say.......?
Improbable things happen every week. The chances of winning the lottery (depending on the lottery) are about 1 in 10 billion but it happens anyway - and frequently.

74x12

You say.......?
It might be some kind of miracle or it might just be random chance. Maybe fate was involved. There are many possible answers.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Miracle, Luck, Fate, Timing, God, etc.

Well I would claim luck for the tougher patch of grass existing so as to halt my slide over a cliff and timing for my missing the front of a car on my motorbike (with some skill involved). Can't recall ever witnessing a miracle or God in action. Perhaps my life has been fate though. :oops:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

We Never Know

No Slack
Statistics, most likely.

Improbable things happen every week. The chances of winning the lottery (depending on the lottery) are about 1 in 10 billion but it happens anyway - and frequently.

The lottery is made to win, so it will eventually have a winner.

I guess many things seem impossible until they happen which makes them possible.

A Vestigial Mote

You say.......?
And all the times something like this happens (or something even less severe) and the person doesn't walk away at all? Then you say... ?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Confirmation bias. Unlikely things happen all the time.

There are 7 billion people in the world. This means that at any given moment, there are about 7,000 people experiencing something that has a 1 in a million chance.

You say.......?
I say that a hypothetical scenario that you just invented doesn't need an explanation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The lottery is made to win, so it will eventually have a winner.

I guess many things seem impossible until they happen which makes them possible.
I find the lottery an interesting case.

Imagine picking the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 to win (assuming a 7-number lottery). Intuitively, we tend to think that this combination could never come up... but the truth is that it's just as likely as any other combination of 7 numbers.

We overemphasize rare events that strike us as meaningful.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Chance, or ignorance to deeper understanding of what's actually at work...

I've heard of people healing from certain diseases and calling it a "miracle," then we discover how this disease actually works on a deeper level and develope a cure for it; all the sudden, people healing from that disease becomes a mundane occurrence. Interesting how that works.