• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midwest farmers going broke at record rates thanks to Trump's trade war

Riders

"Farmers in the Midwest are filing for bankruptcy at record rates as a result of President Trump’s trade war.

Bankruptcies in courts that cover the largest farm states in the country were nearly double in 2018 what they were in 2008, The Wall Street Journal reports. Midwest farmers going broke at record rates thanks to Trump's trade war"

Offered without comment

I think its another nail in Trumps coffin along with the recession thats about to happen to the country!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dang right! We've got enough people in this country to buy all the wheat, corn and soybeans that farmers can grow.

Well, we certainly have a lot of people who would like to buy all that, although some 15 million US households were considered "food insecure" in 2017. 40 million people struggled with hunger during 2017; that's more than 10% of the US population. (11 Facts About Hunger in the US)

So, until we can feed our own people first, perhaps it might be best to keep our food here at home.

Also, we've got enough smart hard-working people in this country where we can make our own cars, laptops and cell phones.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I actually think this is an excellent idea.

Let's put all those illegal immigrants to work building a wall between us and Canada and us and Mexico.

Well, no, that's a ridiculous suggestion. But I sense your sarcasm here.

Then let's build massive walls around the docks in New York, Miami, Tampa and San Francisco so no one can sneak any ships in or out.

Just those cities? We have many more seaports than that.

By Golly, we need to be independent of all those crazies out there.

There's nothing wrong with self-sufficiency and self-reliance.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Well, we certainly have a lot of people who would like to buy all that, although some 15 million US households were considered "food insecure" in 2017. 40 million people struggled with hunger during 2017; that's more than 10% of the US population. (11 Facts About Hunger in the US)

So, until we can feed our own people first, perhaps it might be best to keep our food here at home.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I actually think this is an excellent idea.

Well, no, that's a ridiculous suggestion. But I sense your sarcasm here.

Just those cities? We have many more seaports than that.

There's nothing wrong with self-sufficiency and self-reliance.
All sounds good at first pass, how practical is it? For example, taking into account all the log chains and employee pay, how much would a fully American made mid range lap top cost?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
All sounds good at first pass, how practical is it? For example, taking into account all the log chains and employee pay, how much would a fully American made mid range lap top cost?

I don't know, but with better jobs and better pay for American workers, they'd likely be in a better position to afford it.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I don't know, but with better jobs and better pay for American workers, they'd likely be in a better position to afford it.
Better pay is going to increase your production costs... I'm not sure your feel good "let's just make stuff here!" has adequate costings.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Better pay is going to increase your production costs... I'm not sure your feel good "let's just make stuff here!" has adequate costings.

Well, we've done it before. We had to; we had no other choice while most of the rest of the world's industries were in tatters. Things worked pretty well.