• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metrosexuals, hip or hype?

What word below best describes your opinion of metrosexuals?

• hip

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • hype

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • hokum

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • hate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ardent Listener

What do you think of so-called metrosexuals? Is this a real social subculture or is it some kind of media hype? Why is sexual used in describing them?

jonny

Funny... my sister was making fun of me by calling me metrosexual about five minutes ago. I didn't take it as a compliment. :verymad:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Thank you Buttons . Your link saved me some time . ;)

Hmmm ? Not sure if the link helped me or not ? Well , I'm not urban , so I guess that I'm just plain old Trisexaul . { I keep trying ... }

runaway.gif

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Master Vigil said:
What isn't, or hasn't started as a media hype? (I mean media in any sense)
Sure thing. Do you think men would be exfoliating if TV hadn't told them it was the only way to score???

Television's are good for 3 things :

Sport

Movies

Dropping from the top of our 5 storey apartment :D. Wonder if I can get that pic off Jonno?

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I see metrosexuality as a responce to a culture of:
A) expecting males to be way too masculine or considering them gay.
B) females who won't accept the levels of masculinity naturally within a male.

For example:

I am a gentle person and all through my childhood my uncle would give me crap about being gay because of this fact, he was acctually convinced of it, tho he was a wife and child beating redneck so you can't expect much better.

If a guy was to **** me off enough that i would want to beat him senseless, i'd flirt with his partner right in front of him, making sure he realises i could take her away from him and then turn my attention away allowing him to fester on the thought that his partner thinks i'm better than he is.

Ðanisty

Meh...I say neither. There have always been men who enjoy spas, take great effort in their appearance and hygiene, etc. There just wasn't a word for that before.

I agree though that men have been expected to be overly-masculine and what really bothers me about it is that this expectation comes from other men.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hmm... I'm not sure if I have the correct mental definition of metrosexual. If it's guys who dare to wear pink or purple, wear eyeliner once in awhile? Baybee, bring 'em to me!

That said, I'm not really a 'style' kind of girl. I'm not sure if I should be announcing this or not, but I've never had a haircut that cost more than $15 and I think if the matter at hand were 'would I want to date a guy like this', I'd say that that money could be better spent fueling my insatiable lust for books. However, I don't think I have any right to call into judgement what other people spend their money on. If it makes them happy, go for it! (And, as a massage therapist, I'd say I'm hoping that this trend will take away a little of the stigma about 'treating yourself' being a supposedly feminine concept.)

Ardent Listener

Master Vigil said:
What isn't, or hasn't started as a media hype? (I mean media in any sense)
I don't think "homo-sexuality" was started by the media as hype. But I feel that the term "metro-sexual" was, at the very least, hyped by the media.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
maggie2 said:
Uh, Kreeden, could you enlighten me...I'm not sure what trisexual is?:confused: Man, woman and???
I'm not sure if I should answer that question ... ;)

Actually Maggie it is a joke . Trisexual , as in " trysexual ". The term is used every once in awhile by comedians , usually to imply that they aren't having much luck .

Or as David Bowie once said , he is trisexual because he will try anything once ...

At least no one voted "hate" yet.:clap Don't we have too much hate already in our society? I can't see why a man should not take pride in his appearance and primp up a little.;) Women do, not only to please men, but to please ourselves. Neither have to become narcissistic about it though. Go easy on the eyeliner guys:tsk: but a little blush is nice.:flirt: