• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merkel calls for burqa ban

Sultan Of Swing

"Angela Merkel has called for a burqa ban in Germany and said the refugee crisis “must never be repeated” while making her pitch for a fourth term as Chancellor.

Addressing her conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party, Ms Merkel said she would support a nationwide prohibition on Islamic veils covering the face.

"The full-face veil is not acceptable in our country," she told delegates in Essen, sparking rapturous applause. "It should be banned, wherever it is legally possible.""

Full article: Angela Merkel calls for burqa ban in Germany

Thoughts?

Looks like someone is afraid of losing the next election...

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
It's a dumb idea and she is dumb for trying it. In what universe would putting an entire religious group on blast and banning their traditions work out well? What, does she think they will all say "yeah, she has a point" and comply? Nah. It would just create unrest and more animosity.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Far-right bigotry and demagoguery seem to be on the rise in more than one part of the developed world. There have been Brexit, Trump's victory, and now this.

And one of the most troublesome aspects of the rise of the far right is that a lot of the far left's views are too often overly rosy-eyed, impractical, and in denial of real challenges and issues that the far right exploits to further hard-line conservative agendas, such as the problems with Arab cultures and the idea that developed countries do have a legitimate reason not to treat said cultures like they're completely benign in terms of their traditions, beliefs, etc.

I've said this before, and I think it applies here: the bigotry of the far right may well continue to take increasing hold of power as long as the far left fails to come down from its ivory tower. I think that lack of education, bigotry, and personal agendas certainly play a part in driving people to support far-right propaganda, but to say that this is the whole picture seems to me to be an oversimplification--a comforting one, but still a partially inaccurate one all the same.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Far-right bigotry and demagoguery seem to be on the rise in more than one part of the developed world. There have been Brexit, Trump's victory, and now this.

And one of the most troublesome aspects of the rise of the far right is that a lot of the far left's views are too often overly rosy-eyed, impractical, and in denial of real challenges and issues that the far right exploits to further hard-line conservative agendas, such as the problems with Arab cultures and the idea that developed countries do have a legitimate reason not to treat said cultures like they're completely benign in terms of their traditions, beliefs, etc.

I've said this before, and I think it applies here: the bigotry of the far right may well continue to take increasing hold of power as long as the far left fails to come down from its ivory tower. I think that lack of education, bigotry, and personal agendas certainly play a part in driving people to support far-right propaganda, but to say that this is the whole picture seems to me to be an oversimplification--a comforting one, but still a partially inaccurate one all the same.
It is a frustrating problem. There is a plethora of evidence that supports your argument but it falls on deaf ears with the right. It is much easier (see: lazy) to hate something universally than entertain the notion to the contrary.

Parchment

Sounds like she is trying to polish a turd in the only way that she thinks she can, she blew it and she will be replaced.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
And banning the burka is going to achieve...what? Shall we ban the Haredim from wearing their distinctive clothing? Shall we ban Orthodox Churches from asking women to wear headscarves whilst in Church? What does this have going for it?

"Sorry, you can't wear this anymore."

Okay? Now let's deal with some actual issues?

Parchment

How is banning the burqa going to reform or "squash" Islam, though?

I know this was directed at SSE but I don't see it as an actual attempt to squash Islam but more of a way she thinks she will garner support for her re-election by exploiting the sentiments SSE stated in post #10.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's only a symptom of a sentiment that is growing exponentially worldwide, and is now starting to reach the top levels. People have had enough.

I know this was directed at SSE but I don't see it as an actual attempt to squash Islam but more of a way she thinks she will garner support for her re-election by exploiting the sentiments SSE stated in post #10.

Yeah, I think there's definitely a rising wave of bigotry in this case, and instead of governments' taking useful action, they appeal to popular prejudices by supporting things like burqa bans.

Parchment

Yeah, I think there's definitely a rising wave of bigotry in this case, and instead of governments' taking useful action, they appeal to popular prejudices by supporting things like burqa bans.
Is it bigotry for a cancer patient to hate the cancer that slowly kills it?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it bigotry for a cancer patient to hate the cancer that slowly kills it?

First off, I find using cancer as leverage in the analogy repulsive. I'd rather we use another analogy.

That aside, banning the burqa isn't going to solve any actually problematic issues. If a lot of people merely hate Muslims, banning the burqa isn't a beneficial step for anything but placating their prejudice. There isn't much more to it than that.

Rapha

The Globalists ignorantly assumed that war between Christianity and Islam would have started by now.

As Albert Pike's prophesied WW3 didn't materialize, the neoNazi's are now doing U-turns or face retribution from the peasants with pitch forks.

Karma is a beetch only when a person is a beetch to humanity.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What puzzles me about the hysterical reaction to this type of thing is that the burqa is not mandated by Islam. Muslim men and women are simply implored to dress modestly. Those who support this Draconian dress style don't have a theological leg to stand on.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
And banning the burka is going to achieve...what? Shall we ban the Haredim from wearing their distinctive clothing? Shall we ban Orthodox Churches from asking women to wear headscarves whilst in Church? What does this have going for it?

"Sorry, you can't wear this anymore."

Okay? Now let's deal with some actual issues?

Burqa is not the headscarf, it's the veil that completely covers a woman, including their face. Can't see the person at all. Don't know who's under that.

150px-Burqa_IMG_1127.jpg

I don't know what to think of this (as a law). I tend to side with whatever makes sense. By this I mean go with what works, whatever studies show to work, go with that. If people are worried about extremism, we must stay calm and not jump to conclusions, instead evaluate what is most effective. Would a ban give legitimacy to extremists saying Islam is prosecuted? Would it make the lives of these women worse (as in they would never leave the house)? Or is there a benefit? And law-wise, like say if a country didn't allow masks, then it would be equal to not allow this either.

So in all, there's a lot to consider and I feel knee-jerk reactions aren't going to get us anywhere. As for me, I admit I don't know what is best, I haven't read enough about the subject. But people are annoyed and there's some very strong backlash in politics, so something has to be done, just not recklessly.

On a personal level, can't say I'm a fan of the burqa but my personal feelings about it shouldn't dictate what needs to happen.

Either way, like others have pointed out, Merkel realises that she is in deep problems so she changed her tune.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Burqa is not the headscarf, it's the veil that completely covers a woman, including their face. Can't see the person at all. Don't know who's under that.

150px-Burqa_IMG_1127.jpg

I don't know what to think of this (as a law). I tend to side with whatever makes sense. By this I mean go with what works, whatever studies show to work, go with that. If people are worried about extremism, we must stay calm and not jump to conclusions, instead evaluate what is most effective. Would a ban give legitimacy to extremists saying Islam is prosecuted? Would it make the lives of these women worse (as in they would never leave the house)? Or is there a benefit? And law-wise, like say if a country didn't allow masks, then it would be equal to not allow this either.

So in all, there's a lot to consider and I feel knee-jerk reactions aren't going to get us anywhere. As for me, I admit I don't know what is best, I haven't read enough about the subject. But people are annoyed and there's some very strong backlash in politics, so something has to be done, just not recklessly.

On a personal level, can't say I'm a fan of the burqa but my personal feelings about it shouldn't dictate what needs to happen.

Either way, like others have pointed out, Merkel realises that she is in deep problems so she changed her tune.
I know what the burka is, I just can find no good reason to ban it.