• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memorable & Meaningful Quotes

Deidre

At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face. - Albert Camus

What does this mean, do you all think?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
''When you no longer care what anyone thinks of you, you've reached a dangerous level of freedom.'' -- Unknown
Reminds me of another quote that's sort of the flipside of that sentiment: "It's amazing what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit." - Harry S. Truman

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Here is one of my favorites.

"It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a lamb.". - Roman proverb.

one-day-as-a-lion.jpg

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you- Friedrich Nietzsche

Rainbow Mage

The Heart Sutra or Prajna Parimita Hrdaya Sutra is a Buddhist work that I really appreciate and read often, because it helps me remember what the nature of things really are when the world seems crazy, and it reminds me that all I need to do is live.

Here it is, as rendered in English:

When Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara practised the deep Prajnaparamita, he saw that the five skandhas were empty; thus he overcame all ills and suffering.

"O Sariputra! Form does not differ from the void, and the void does not differ from the form. Form is the void, and the void is form. The same is true for feelings, conceptions, impulses and consciousness.

O Sariputra, the characteristics of the void is not created, not annihilated, not impure, not pure, not increasing, not decreasing.

Therefore, in the void there are no forms and no feelings, conceptions, impulses and no consciousness: there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind; there is no form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea; no eye elements, until we come to no elements of consciousness; no ignorance and also no ending of ignorance, until we come to no old age and death; and no ending of old age and death.

Also, there is no truth of suffering, of the cause of suffering, of the cessation of suffering or of the path. There is no wisdom, and there is no attainment whatsoever. Because there is nothing to be attained, a Bodhisattva relying on Prajnaparamita has no obstruction in his heart. Because there is no obstruction he has no fear, and he passes far beyond all confused imagination and reaches Ultimate Nirvana.

All Buddhas in the past, present and future have attained Supreme Enlightenment by relying on the Prajnaparamita. Therefore we know that the Prajnaparamita is the great luminous Mantra, the great Mantra of illumination, it is the supreme Mantra, the unequaled Mantra which can truly wipe out all suffering without fail."

Rainbow Mage

Why should I fear death? While I am, death is not, and when death is I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist as long as I do?- Epicurus

I have never wished to please the crowd, for what I know, the crowd does not approve, and what the crowd approves I do not know- Epicurus

Deidre

Why should I fear death? While I am, death is not, and when death is I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist as long as I do?- Epicurus

I have never wished to please the crowd, for what I know, the crowd does not approve, and what the crowd approves I do not know- Epicurus

Someone who was once a member here and passed away last year, adored Epicurus, and he'd have loved this post. :sunflower:

Rainbow Mage

Someone who was once a member here and passed away last year, adored Epicurus, and he'd have loved this post. :sunflower:

I am glad I like Epicurus then. Epicurus is so little known, and he should be known more. His philosophy could really benefit people. I won't hijack this thread by going any further on that.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
The twin pillars of civilization are:
Christianity and Cricket

(from the movie 'The Beach')

funny how I'd believed this for quite a while before seeing the movie,
so it must be true. Q~;

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
''The hottest fires burn out quickest.''

What do you think this quote means?

Metaphorically, the heat comes from the fuel. Whether that be passion or anger, or whatever, my take has always been that something sustained only by intense emotion can't last, as the emotional intensity can't last.