• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memorable & Meaningful Quotes

Deidre

Thought this would be a nice addition to the forum. Feel free to post quotes that you feel are memorable, and meaningful in some way. Can be secular or religious, anything goes. :)

I posted this one today in my status, first time I've ran across it:

“Instead of complaining that the rose bush is full of thorns, be happy the thorn bush has roses.” ~Proverb

Looking forward to yours! :tulip:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I believe that life can go on forever. It takes a million years to evolve a new species, ten million for a new genus, one hundred million for a class, a billion for a phylum -- and that's usually as far as your imagination goes. In a billion years, it seems, intelligent life might be as different from humans as humans are from insects. But what would happen in another ten billion years? It's utterly impossible to conceive of ourselves changing as drastically as that, over and over again. All you can say is, on that kind of time scale the material form that life would take is completely open. To change from a human being to a cloud may seem a big order, but it's the kind of change you'd expect over billions of years. -Freeman Dyson, physicist (b. 1923)

Deidre

These ^^ are great!

Mequa, I LOVE that quote...it is so true...how often do we spend time thinking back to our pasts, wishing they were different? They are gone, and today is all we have. Thanks for posting that.

Mine for today...I love Nietzsche...think he possessed a brilliant, and incredibly insightful mind...

We love life, not because we are used to living, but because we are used to loving.

Bet you didn't think Nietzsche had a soft side. lol ;)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
“To be rejected by someone doesn't mean you should also reject yourself or that you should think of yourself as a lesser person. It doesn't mean that nobody will ever love you anymore. Remember that only ONE person has rejected you at the moment, and it only hurt so much because to you, that person's opinion symbolized the opinion of the whole world, of God.”
Jocelyn Soriano, Mend My Broken Heart

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
"If you want them to remember it, make it memorable" - a really good teacher

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Dont judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

a person can only be hurt so many times before the sorrow turns to rage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deidre

You can't dip your foot in the same lake twice.

I love this saying. It signifies that you can never have the same experience, twice. Example...you move away from your home town...you have fond memories, and are home sick. You go back a few years later, and the whole town has changed, the people you once knew have moved away...it's an entirely new experience, so whatever you missed...is gone.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks."

"Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality."

"The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern: every class is unfit to govern."

All four quotes from Lord Acton.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
College is not supposed to be an exam factory for the rat race. but for so many it is.
Johan lamont

Thomas Edison failed a thousand times at making the lightbulb.

Deidre

Updated my status today with this nice one:
“To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”
~Thich Nhat Hanh