• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Member Blessings

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I don’t know of anyone in these forums who thinks that I’m following the teachings of Bahá’u’lláh. Do you know of anyone who thinks that I am?

Sorry @Jim but until a few days ago, in the box right from your name and avatar, you stated "Learning to follow Baha'ullah" or something like that (don't recall the actual words). You also used to promote a lot of Baha'i topics, especially in the "Interfaith" forum. It's fine to change one's mind, and nobody requires you to have a religion at all. It's true you avoided applying the term "Baha'i" to yourself but given the content you wrote, one could have guessed that you were favorable towards the Baha'i faith.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
You once had a discussion with adrian asking him to contact the Baha'i house and ask them if you were doing anything against the Baha'i faith, if I'm not mistaken.
Do you think that I am following all the teachings of Bahá’u’lláh?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I mean, it's possible the Mandella Effect has taken place and made us all think Jim was a Baha'i when he wasn't, which I can see can be anxiety inducing. But I'm not sure.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Sorry @Jim but until a few ago, in the box right from your name and avatar, you stated "Learning to follow Baha'ullah" or something like that (don't recall the actual words).
I think that those were the exact words. I changed that because I thought it was confusing people.
... one could have guessed that you were favorable towards the Baha'i faith.
I agree with some things that it says. Don’t you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Do you think that it would ever be possible for every person in the forums to always understand everything that you’re trying to say? If not, does that make it wrong for you to say it?
Not everyone will agree with my words in RF. not everyone will understand what I speak about, and no it is not wrong to speak about what we want to say. that is not what I have said about you either.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then it’s possible for an atheist to be following a spiritual teacher.
Yes, but would you not then experience a lot of disagreement with the teacher who speaks of God or Gods, Buddhas and so on? a spiritual path is a personal path, so I will no longer say that you are right or wrong Jim, i leave you to do as what you see correct for you.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I mean, it's possible the Mandella Effect has taken place and made us all think Jim was a Baha'i ...
Not everyone thought that I was a Baha’i. A few have been telling me repeatedly that I’m not really a Baha’i. I thought they were wrong, but now I’m agreeing with them. I’m agreeing with the people who have been saying that I’m not really a Baha’i. I’m not blaming anyone for thinking that I was. I thought so too. Now I see very clearly that I am not one of them, and never have been.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Not everyone thought that I was a Baha’i. A few have been telling me repeatedly that I’m not really a Baha’i. I thought they were wrong, but now I’m agreeing with them. I’m agreeing with the people who have been saying that I’m not really a Bsha’i. I’m not blaming anyone for thinking that I was. I thought so too. Now I see very clearly that I am not one of them, and never have been.

In any case, I'll try not to make any more broad, sweeping statements since I feel you're a very multi-dimensional person, it seems, and I don't want to contribute to any confusion that may or may not make things harder on you.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
You once had a discussion with adrian asking him to contact the Baha'i house and ask them if you were doing anything against the Baha'i faith, if I'm not mistaken.
That has nothing to do with what the word “Baha’i” means to anyone, ever, in Internet discussions.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I remember when I thought I was panentheist when I was posting here. My beliefs were neither pantheist nor panentheist nor other variations, but 3 different members would correct me saying I'm 3 different variants. I thought I was Baha'i at one point too, but that didn't pan out too well. I'll just use the term "Seeker studying Hinduism" for myself.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Yes, but would you not then experience a lot of disagreement with the teacher who speaks of God or Gods, Buddhas and so on?
I’m not an atheist. I was just commenting on you saying that a person following a spiritual teacher can’t be an atheist.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I think that those were the exact words. I changed that because I thought it was confusing people.

I agree with some things that it (the Baha'i faith) says. Don’t you?

This is not a fair tactic, Jim. I think most religions say something like "treat you neighbor nicely", or at least their members claim that these religions do so. If Baha'ullah indeed made such general statements too, agreeing with them wouldn't automatically make me "agree" with him in total. I would call myself a humanist and there are statements in Baha'ullah's teaching that appeal to humanists, but I would be already at odds with Baha'ullah or "Allah" on issues like the death penalty or disfiguring corporal punishment. I also cherish freedom of religion as opposed to potential theocracy. So, although Baha'ullah made some appealing statements, in sum I rather don't agree with him.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
This is not a fair tactic, Jim. I think most religions say something like "treat you neighbor nicely", or at least their members claim that these religions do so. If Baha'ullah indeed made such general statements too, agreeing with them wouldn't automatically make me "agree" with him in total. I would call myself a humanist and there are statements in Baha'ullah's teaching that appeal to humanists, but I would be already at odds with Baha'ullah or "Allah" on issues like the death penalty or disfiguring corporal punishment. I also cherish freedom of religion as opposed to potential theocracy. So, although Baha'ullah made some appealing statements, in sum I rather don't agree with him.
I’m not disagreeing with anything that Bahá’u’lláh says, if that’s what you were trying to say. Or rather, I never think that what He means to say in His writings is wrong.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see you as following most of the teachings, but choosing to go against other Baha'is for little reason.

I see this differently, I see Jim has good reason to pursue what He see needs to be done.

The Key here is that no One person can try to dominate the change, it has to be a joint effort.

In that way you can see Jim's effort is aimed at finding a Unity of effort. My issue is that I see many things are left half said, as if they were fully said, the quandary would be known. An example is the Gay Marriage issue. As a Baha'i I support a person's choice in this matter, there is no discrimination. As a Baha'i there is a Law that marriage is only between a Man and a Women, as such that is the quandary faced by some individuals who want to follow what Baha'u'llah offered.

Regards Tony

Jedster

@Jim FWIW
I think that you are enamoured with the person/personality of Bahá’u’lláh.
You are trying to make him your Guru.
Let that be enough.
Enjoy yourself. It matters not what labels people put on you.

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: I am not trying to be an LGBTQ ally. I have some views that are contrary to some LGBTQ-affirming views, and not safe for LGBTQ people.

Is there anyone who does not think that Baha’is believe some of these things?
- that homosexuality is an illness.
- that there is a prohibition in Baha’i scriptures.against all homosexual relationships.
- that there is a prohibition in Baha’i scriptures against marriage between two men or two women.
- that all religions are one.
- that finding agreements in the beliefs of different religions, or trying to reconcile them, will help reduce hostilities across belief divides.
- that it’s wrong for any Baha’i to openly disagree with anything that the House of Justice says about Baha’i teachings.
- that Baha’i beliefs will help solve the world’s problems, and help bring peace and justice to all people everywhere.
- That all Baha’i beliefs are true, and some of the beliefs in all the other religions are false.
- That God exists or is real.

Is there anyone who thinks that a person can honestly and truly be a Baha’i without believing any of those things?

Last edited: