• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation and the Conquering of Desire

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
In your experience as meditators do you recall any time you felt the urge to lust in your mind for a certain person and then meditating and the urge going away? I'm asking because I do mindfulness meditation often and mantra on occasion, does meditation work for that? Thank you all, I feel like I've asked this before. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In your experience as meditators do you recall any time you felt the urge to lust in your mind for a certain person and then meditating and the urge going away? I'm asking because I do mindfulness meditation often and mantra on occasion, does meditation work for that? Thank you all, I feel like I've asked this before. :)
In my experience with more then 20 years of mindfulness meditation practice i would say that yes it can help you because you calming your mind so you see the situation much clearer then if you were not using any form of meditation.
The part with lust, that is attachments human beings have, and meditation can help you let go of all attachments to human life, also to the lust, But lust is one of the strongest attachments that we have. So to be really free from lust you would need daily practice :) And awareness toward when lust build within you, so you can know when the attachments arises, then you will be able to reduce it and over time it would be more easy to not feel the lust :)

Hope this helped a little.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Jhana practice can be quite helpful in this regard. Just don't get attached/addicted to the bliss.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Conquering desire or coming to terms with it, understand it? If I am married and young (that I am no more :)), why should not I succumb to sex? Kama, artha, dharma, moksha are the done-things, purusharthas.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
There will come a time when practicing serious meditation that kundalini may become aroused, this can be a serious issue and one needs to read up on it, forewarned is forearmed!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The experience will be the same as all religions and techniques that try to suppress natural inclinations.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In your experience as meditators do you recall any time you felt the urge to lust in your mind for a certain person and then meditating and the urge going away?
Tell yourself, "I am doing something more important now. Not at this time."
There will come a time when practicing serious meditation that kundalini may become aroused, this can be a serious issue and one needs to read up on it, ..
Kundalini is more like a bad psychological episode. I do not believe in that.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No one has, it is a big farce / scam. No energy rushes out of the Brahma-randhra (the home at the top of the head). I do not have the hole.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, it is a way to enlist curious aspirants of occult powers (and milk them for whatever they have, mostly money but not restricted to it). There is no occult, no para-normal powers. It is hallucination, I am not susceptible to it.
By the same logic someone knows mystical experiences are fake .."
Yeah, I do not think there are any. But yes, susceptible people do experience such episodes, like in hypnotism.

Jedster

In my own experience of meditation(46years), I have found that using mediation to magic away personal problems does not work. In fact it made me more focused on said problem.
I have found it better to face the problems face on.

E.G. I had a friend that I really began to hate. It almost became an obsession because I couldn't stop thinking about it. The way I chilled out the hatred was to explain my feelings to him face to face.
It certainly didn't make me like him, but I did stop obsessing and now regard him as an acquittance. who I occasionally have a coffee with.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Is mindfulness the new word for zazen I wonder?
All sorts of thoughts arise. In zazen, one is maintaining awareness but not following after the thought to create a train of thinking. In this way, the thought, having arisen, passes away.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No one has, it is a big farce / scam. No energy rushes out of the Brahma-randhra (the home at the top of the head). I do not have the hole.
As others have pointed out, just because you have not experienced it, you declare it does not exist! The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not comprehend! The ego makes a good servant but it is bad master.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

I think practices like this can provide a larger or deeper perspective, also an ability to "stand back" from desire, and not be consumed by it.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
As others have pointed out, just because you have not experienced it, you declare it does not exist! The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not comprehend! The ego makes a good servant but it is bad master.

I think it's best to keep an open mind. IMO neither belief or disbelief are particularly conducive to that.

Last edited: