• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical Extortion

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So I am at a doctor's office and ask to get tested for something. They get the test done. I never get a bill, and nobody says anything about my insurance not paying. Five months later I get a letter from a debt collection agency. Its for just under 500$. I can't figure out where it comes from. Its got the name of a lab and according to the letter it seems that I have been delinquent on payment, but my doctor never let me know. My intuition says "Well I did ask for a lab test...5 months ago..."

Is my doctor getting a kickback? Why would they cause me so much trouble? Why would they do this knowing full well that I'm going to get hurt? Nobody said "You owe this." Nobody said "This didn't get covered." So I think that somehow this lab is paying the doctor. Now I have no idea what the original amount is. I've got no paperwork on it, and the debt collector is trying to almost double the amount. Thanks Doctor!

PureX

Veteran Member
Everyone wants someone else to pay. So bills get sent out to multiple sources hoping one or more of them will pay it.

I am surprised you didn't get one as a common trick is to send the bill to both you and your insurance provider hoping both will pay it, and then they (the doctor, lab, hospital, etc.) keep the double payment. It's why the bill you get from these people are absurdly obscure and confusing about who is actually responsible for paying what and when.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So I am at a doctor's office and ask to get tested for something. They get the test done. I never get a bill, and nobody says anything about my insurance not paying. Five months later I get a letter from a debt collection agency. Its for just under 500$. I can't figure out where it comes from. Its got the name of a lab and according to the letter it seems that I have been delinquent on payment, but my doctor never let me know. My intuition says "Well I did ask for a lab test...5 months ago..."

Is my doctor getting a kickback? Why would they cause me so much trouble? Why would they do this knowing full well that I'm going to get hurt? Nobody said "You owe this." Nobody said "This didn't get covered." So I think that somehow this lab is paying the doctor. Now I have no idea what the original amount is. I've got no paperwork on it, and the debt collector is trying to almost double the amount. Thanks Doctor!
You need a better health care organization.
Mine bills me promptly, & for low amounts.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Curious as to where you live Country or State. Never heard of it happening in New Jersey. I have been told that they were sending to debt collection when I don't pay fully but pay monthly. I have also got a full bill from the Doctor, and they submitted it to the insurance company, but I always verify what insurance says I should pay before I pay them. The closest I got was from a hospital visit whereas a year later a doctor was asking for a ridicules amounts of money and demanding it now being that it was a year after the work, or he would send me to collection. He had just sent me the bill. I checked it out and he was a consultant for the surgery and not in my insurance, so I had to pay a large deductible. I told him fine send me to collections, I'd rather settle with them then pay your over inflated rate. In general, they only get pennies on the dollar when they send it to collection and medical debt doesn't affect credit rating as much as other debt's. Got him to work out a deal for half the price payable over 6 months.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Country or State
Mississippi. United Health: the cheaper insurance option. Path Group Labs.

Now then, technically it is my responsibility to pay for things if insurance doesn't come through; but shouldn't somebody at least tell me what is owed before I'm made out to be a criminal?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone wants someone else to pay. So bills get sent out to multiple sources hoping one or more of them will pay it.

I am surprised you didn't get one as a common trick is to send the bill to both you and your insurance provider hoping both will pay it, and then they (the doctor, lab, hospital, etc.) keep the double payment. It's why the bill you get from these people are absurdly obscure and confusing about who is actually responsible for paying what and when.
That happened to me with a smaller bill. I didn't complain about it. It was through one of those online payment systems, and then the doctor billed again.

Heyo

Veteran Member

That sounds more like a scam than a legitimate bill. I'd sue them for fraud.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Seeing your post a day late. I hope you've not yet responded to that agency, especially since you don't recognize the debt. You do have rights and you can stop them from impacting your credit report (at least, for the moment).

You have the right to challenge a debt collection within 30 days of being notified. And legally, they can't harass contact you or others nor report it to credit bureaus until they've provided this information.

Do not indicate in any way that you (may) owe that debt, as soon as you do they can have you on the hook for it. Instead, send them a letter via certified mail stating you DO NOT owe any debt and that THEY need to provide YOU with:

- the name and address of the original creditor, the account number, and the amount allegedly owed.
- the age of the alleged debt (always prefix with "alleged")
- a copy of the last billing statement
- their licensing info (which can help weed out this isn't some scammer)

and whatever else may be applicable to the situation. You can Google something like "sample letter to debt collector" and find several examples along with additional info on what else to do to protect yourself.

Personally, I've found that Drs office screw up records. Many years ago (early 00s), I paid a medical bill to the hospital but got a debt letter. Ultimately, it was for another patient but our account numbers were conflated. Another time, I was harassed on 2 separate occasions by different agencies looking to collect on a debt that was racked up by the previous tenant (the debt dated back to before I lived there). They buy these accounts for pennies on the dollar and the info must be incomplete and they just searched an address and sent it to whoever's listed. I wrote letters like above and said don't contact me unless to provide verification and they're not to report it to any credit bureau. Never heard from either one again.

Within the last 3 months I've received 2 voice mail messages + 1 call from different Drs offices with appointment reminders. I don't know the patients they referenced, never been a patient with this offices myself. The 3rd time it occurred, I happened to answer. They'd missed dialed, so I assume this other person's number is extremely similar to mine.

It may be your account has been conflated with another patient's or this is entirely bogus. Either way, don't assume or accept that it is yours until you're given verification. And if it is yours, you may be able to get them to settle for less.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's bad advice. Suing is expensive, time consuming,
& really tedious. I know people who received bills they
couldn't pay. They negotiated something reasonable.
That too can take awhile, but there's no need to pay
lawyers.
You are right, at least in the US. But it could be helpful (at least here) to report them to the authorities.
But best would probably be to listen to @Callisto, they seem to know what they are talking about.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the tip, Callisto. I'll make sure and get all of that in my letter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are right, at least in the US. But it could be helpful (at least here) to report them to the authorities.
But best would probably be to listen to @Callisto, they seem to know what they are talking about.
Yes, because the authorities are so useful.
<snicker>

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

You need a better country.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Worth a sternly worded letter or voicemail, if you can't confront the physician directly.
If the original bill (never sent to me) was legitimate there might be other avenues (legal avenues) to complain about not getting billed. If I find out that there was an actual bill then maybe I'd pursue those. One is of course to write to the doctor. One is to write to the AMA. Another is to track down any lawsuits they are involved in and send a helpful letter to the courts.