• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

maybe not yet

pearl

What happens when one candidate concedes before all votes are counted and ultimately wins?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Usually you concede when there is no possible chance that you will win.
If you concede, then win, then you're just outta luck.
At least, I think so. I don't know if that has ever happened before.

Wirey

Fartist
Usually you concede when there is no possible chance that you will win.
If you concede, then win, then you're just outta luck.
At least, I think so. I don't know if that has ever happened before.

No, the election results are the determining factor. Concession just shows class after you know you got handed your head.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
No, the election results are the determining factor. Concession just shows class after you know you got handed your head.
Ah, I see, So the loser just gets a nasty surprise.

"Sir, please take off that victory sash. It appears that you've lost the election by 7 votes."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And I believe we've seen a couple concessions taken back this time based on new counts.

pearl

Has this happened? I haven't watched the news today.

I think it was Florida between Scott who has claimed victory and Perry? who conceded. And a few others the final count showed different results. I'm wondering if these will go to the courts,

HonestJoe

What happens when one candidate concedes before all votes are counted and ultimately wins?
I don’t think conceding is anything formal or legally binding, just an informal acknowledgement and suggestion they’re not going to be calling for recounts or anything of the sort. I suspect the “winner” isn’t actually official under whoever is responsible for running the election officially declares them so; that official could declare for the looser or say the vote is void (though they’d obviously be in a lot of trouble if they didn’t have a valid and legal reason for doing so) and nothing is really final until they winning candidate sworn in.