• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May calls UK General Election - 8th June 2017

Altfish

Veteran Member
We have a general election in the UK on June 8th, main topic, once again, is Brexit.
Labour in total disarray, Lib Dems playing the anti-Brexit card.

Trouble is Tories are that far ahead in the polls that they will have to implode to lose, so they will get their mandate for lousy terms leaving the EU

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
We have a general election in the UK on June 8th, main topic, once again, is Brexit.
Labour in total disarray, Lib Dems playing the anti-Brexit card.

Trouble is Tories are that far ahead in the polls that they will have to implode to lose, so they will get their mandate for lousy terms leaving the EU

I suspect this is being done to try and scrub out the fact the Tories have an illegal Parliamentary majority because they cheated in multiple constituencies. I can't see England shifting back towards Labour or even towards the Lib Dems in the near future, frankly. My guess at the outcome is a Tory majority in the Commons, perhaps with a slightly increased share of the vote; maybe 40% across the UK.

It's just yet another example of Westminster hypocrisy: 'now is not the time for another independence referendum', says May. But apparently it is time for another General Election.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I suspect this is being done to try and scrub out the fact the Tories have an illegal Parliamentary majority because they cheated in multiple constituencies. I can't see England shifting back towards Labour or even towards the Lib Dems in the near future, frankly. My guess at the outcome is a Tory majority in the Commons, perhaps with a slightly increased share of the vote; maybe 40% across the UK.

It's just yet another example of Westminster hypocrisy: 'now is not the time for another independence referendum', says May. But apparently it is time for another General Election.
Either that or I can almost see another hung parliament.

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
And after saying this election will be about leadership, May has said she won't be appearing in any televised debates. *slow clap*

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's an interesting outcome. We might be seeing a European swing to the left given the UK and French elections. We'll see after a few more if that's the case or not.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
:tearsofjoy:

DB23cQSUAAIpZBi.jpg

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Probably the best outcome we could have expected.
May is a busted duck.

There will need to be another election within 18 months.

Brexit negotiations will be chaotic.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably the best outcome we could have expected.
May is a busted duck.

There will need to be another election within 18 months.

Brexit negotiations will be chaotic.

Her arrogance brought her down.

A man's haughtiness will humble him, but one of humble spirit will grasp honour.
Prov. 29:26

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I read that a hung parliament (which I assume will indeed be the likely outcome) is also called a balanced parliament.

Am I wrong in understanding that those are different emphasis on what is indeed the same situation? That of a parliament with no party having a clear, decisive majority of the seats?

On the one hand, that makes policy making that much slower, more difficult and dependent on convincing other parties. Hence 'hung'.

On the other hand, that also means that there will be more of a shared responsibility and (hopefully) more considered, more careful decisions with less likelihood of raising spirits and radicalizing political feelings.

Do you agree? If not, why exactly?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I read that a hung parliament (which I assume will indeed be the likely outcome) is also called a balanced parliament.

Am I wrong in understanding that those are different emphasis on what is indeed the same situation? That of a parliament with no party having a clear, decisive majority of the seats?

On the one hand, that makes policy making that much slower, more difficult and dependent on convincing other parties. Hence 'hung'.

On the other hand, that also means that there will be more of a shared responsibility and (hopefully) more considered, more careful decisions with less likelihood of raising spirits and radicalizing political feelings.

Do you agree? If not, why exactly?
The Tories have formed a Confidence & Supply arrangement with this party called DUP - which is a Christian Fundamentalist party that almost makes the Westboro Baptists look like amateurs. No party won a majority and two other party leaders (Corbyn & Farron) have called for May's resignation, but she won't resign. She asked the Queen if she could form a government and was, I believe, given the go ahead.

In other words, this government is a complete disaster.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sure sounds like a confused, unrepresentative, divided and unreliable political situation.

Some form of fresh start could well be a good idea. But that is just me talking; you guys are far better aware of the situation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Although I agree that May has been a pretty poor PM the only bright spot here is that Corbyn could not pull off a decisive win either.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Although I agree that May has been a pretty poor PM the only bright spot here is that Corbyn could not pull off a decisive win either.
May is a witch who wants to privatise healthcare and bring back grammar schools. She has to be stopped.