• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masks are not enough

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Data is compiled world wide, situation is dependent on local individuals usually with no idea why the need for a mask overrides their personal selfishness (yes there are some on here)

Personally i would prefer tried and tested over joe said he wasn't wearing a mask 'coz the us Constitution says he don't need ta'

I don't see it as selfish unless they are going out of their way to infect people. I'm sure they don't see masks replacing other forms of prevention...distance, sanitation, etc.

Dave Watchman

For me, social distancing and sanitary measures helps others and myself more than masks.

Real image of guy from Wuhan.

When they ran out of masks.

I thought of you and,

Sanitary measures:

Xl0sSpr.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm speaking of the level of safety compared to other forms of protection.

I don't remember anyone saying they don't. I'd have to re-read. For me, social distancing and sanitary measures helps others and myself more than masks.

I can see it if they are up in people's faces but masks in general, it only helps in specific situations and environments.

I'm sure you understand distance works better than masks?

The measures recommended ALL help to reduce the spread of the virus. As far as i know, no studies of the individual effectiveness has been carried out, please correct me if i am wrong by citing the reports where one method is better than another.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I don't see it as selfish unless they are going out of their way to infect people. I'm sure they don't see masks replacing other forms of prevention...distance, sanitation, etc.

In the early stages, how does anyone know if they are infecting others?

I don't really care what you are sure of, the precautions work in unison

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The measures recommended ALL help to reduce the spread of the virus. As far as i know, no studies of the individual effectiveness has been carried out, please correct me if i am wrong by citing the reports where one method is better than another.

It's a "think about it" matter. If you're over six feet from someone and sneeze they won't catch the virus 100%. If you are close sneezing distance and wear a mask you, it doesn't block 100%. It helps but not a definiate.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

It's best not to be around people first. "I'd say" sanitary second since we know for certain germs are ellivated through proper sanitation. Masks third if the first one isn't possible.

Do you feel distance works less than masks?

Dave Watchman

A lot of stuff in this link, boring to read:

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

Dominant Airborne Transmission

We further elucidated the contribution of airborne transmission to the COVID-19 outbreak by comparing the trends and mitigation measures during the pandemic worldwide and by considering the virus transmission routes (Fig. 4). Face covering prevents both airborne transmission by blocking atomization and inhalation of virus-bearing aerosols and contact transmission by blocking viral shedding of droplets. On the other hand, social distancing, quarantine, and isolation, in conjunction with hand sanitizing, minimize contact (direct and indirect) transmission but do not protect against airborne transmission. With social distancing, quarantine, and isolation in place worldwide and in the United States since the beginning of April, airborne transmission represents the only viable route for spreading the disease, when mandated face covering is not implemented. Similarly, airborne transmission also contributes dominantly to the linear increase in the infection prior to the onset of mandated face covering in Italy and NYC (Fig. 2 B and C and SI Appendix, Fig. S1). Hence, the unique function of face covering to block atomization and inhalation of virus-bearing aerosols accounts for the significantly reduced infections in China, Italy, and NYC (Figs. 13), indicating that airborne transmission of COVID-19 represents the dominant route for infection.​

5 μm) and aerosols (" class="highwire-fragment fragment-images colorbox-load highwireFiguresMarkupProcessor-processed cboxElement" rel="gallery-fragment-images-130833160" data-figure-caption="
Transmission of COVID-19. Human atomization of viruses arises from coughing or sneezing of an infected person, producing virus-containing droplets (>5 μm) and aerosols (<5>" data-icon-position="" data-hide-link-title="0">

Fig. 4.

Transmission of COVID-19. Human atomization of viruses arises from coughing or sneezing of an infected person, producing virus-containing droplets (>5 μm) and aerosols (<5 μm). Virus transmission from person to person occurs through direct/indirect contact and airborne aerosol/droplet routes. Large droplets mainly settle out of air to cause person/object contamination, while aerosols are efficiently dispersed in air. Direct and airborne transmissions occur in short range and extended distance/time, respectively. Inhaled airborne viruses deposit directly into the human respiration tract.

Recent measurements identified SARS-Cov-2 RNA on aerosols in Wuhan’s hospitals (18) and outdoor in northern Italy (21), unraveling the likelihood of indoor and outdoor airborne transmission. Within an enclosed environment, virus-bearing aerosols from human atomization are readily accumulated, and elevated levels of airborne viruses facilitate transmission from person to person.
I can't fine the link, but a report was out where a hospital noticed the nurses were tracking the virus in the soles of their shoes. From the Covid ward to another floor.

The company I work for leases a disinfectant mat which is advertised as cleaning the bottom of the shoes entering a place of business.

Still, it reads to me like airborne is the most worrisome route.

"SARS-CoV-2 was detected in the air as much as 13 feet from the patients – more than twice the 6 feet distance the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends for adequate physical distancing. Further, medical staff tracked the virus on the floor, as indicated by a 100% positive rate in a pharmacy where no patients were allowed.

Aerosol transmission of COVID-19 can exceed 6 feet, shoes can spread coronavirus on floors: study

Honestly Christine, there's enough material in this thread alone for people to look silly in a public place without a face covering.

Especially a crowded grocery store.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I doubt it, ignoring WHO advice almost certainly does not mean its better advice, it does mean though that he thought he knew better than the world leading experts.

I can't be sure but i would consider the UK 2 metres to more a propaganda exercise to make him and his cronies look good when he reduced it.

No it's a thing,2 metres and people are generally keeping to it,I understand the mask thing in crowd and shops,I avoid both though,funny thing though,I had to wear a mask to see the dentist today,first thing he said was "sit down and take the mask off".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In the early stages, how does anyone know if they are infecting others?

I don't really care what you are sure of, the precautions work in unison

We don't know. But then we don't know if we are affecting others with a good multitude of viruses etc.

Do you think outside the data for your own well-being?

Data are public generalizations. Deaths can be called by a number of factors such as pre-existing illnesses etc. Most illnesses if not all aren't isolated. They have a domino affect as the illness affects the rest of the body physically and psychologically. Personally, I've learned to trust my own knowledge as well as doctors because the doctor even told me, "we're just guessing...". Doctors make intelligent guesses on what they observe and test but at the end, we are our own doctors. If you have a symptom(s) that isn't what you normally consider normal-say more shortness of breath than usual, see a doctor. It just takes being aware of your own health.

It doesn't exclude my point, though. Masks aren't enough. It's like a bandage without the disinfectant. It should be a combination of precautions.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/2019-ncov-factsheet.pdf

Masks are a part of it. Staying away from people and/or using forms of disinfectant helps a lot. Masks help people adapt psychologically too. It's not a bad thing whether one admits it or not (the fear). Just I know there are so much more precautions than the public use of material (or...) coverings. I'm not saying don't wear a mask. The OP was just informing don't depend on it as the sole means of protection. Informative post thats why I put it in general discussion since the mask-convo was in another thread already.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's a "think about it" matter. If you're over six feet from someone and sneeze they won't catch the virus 100%. If you are close sneezing distance and wear a mask you, it doesn't block 100%. It helps but not a definiate.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

It's best not to be around people first. "I'd say" sanitary second since we know for certain germs are ellivated through proper sanitation. Masks third if the first one isn't possible.

Do you feel distance works less than masks?

If you are 10 feet from someone and you have the virus, sneezing or coughing could infect them, remember, the virus can travel up to 18 metres. However it could also infect anyone passing by within the next hour or so. Think about that

And how can you guarantee 100%. Note the number of infections and deaths, i would say you are 100% wrong in your guess.

Sheesh, how many times??? A mask helps reduce the spread of the disease... As can distancing (with limitations)... As can good hygiene (within limitations)... As can avoiding touching your orifices.
These are scientific facts?

Given the facts, the distance the virus can be projected and the amount of time it can stay airborne, then it seems pretty obvious that distance is not all you crack it up to be

ChristineM

Premium Member
No it's a thing,2 metres and people are generally keeping to it,I understand the mask thing in crowd and shops,I avoid both though,funny thing though,I had to wear a mask to see the dentist today,first thing he said was "sit down and take the mask off".

Yes i watched the news tonight with the overcrowded beaches...

Seen the chaos when the shops reopened

Seen the chaos at various stations

Sticking to it, i think not.

I know boris boris said 2 metres, the who doesn't, so the thing is it's not who advice, its boris and cronies advice

I guess the mask is not for the dentist's benefit but for those in the waiting room, in reception, travelling to and from the dentist.

What would have been funny would have been examining you through the mask

ChristineM

Premium Member
We don't know. But then we don't know if we are affecting others with a good multitude of viruses etc.

Do you think outside the data for your own well-being?

Data are public generalizations. Deaths can be called by a number of factors such as pre-existing illnesses etc. Most illnesses if not all aren't isolated. They have a domino affect as the illness affects the rest of the body physically and psychologically. Personally, I've learned to trust my own knowledge as well as doctors because the doctor even told me, "we're just guessing...". Doctors make intelligent guesses on what they observe and test but at the end, we are our own doctors. If you have a symptom(s) that isn't what you normally consider normal-say more shortness of breath than usual, see a doctor. It just takes being aware of your own health.

It doesn't exclude my point, though. Masks aren't enough. It's like a bandage without the disinfectant. It should be a combination of precautions.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/2019-ncov-factsheet.pdf

Masks are a part of it. Staying away from people and/or using forms of disinfectant helps a lot. Masks help people adapt psychologically too. It's not a bad thing whether one admits it or not (the fear). Just I know there are so much more precautions than the public use of material (or...) coverings. I'm not saying don't wear a mask. The OP was just informing don't depend on it as the sole means of protection. Informative post thats why I put it in general discussion since the mask-convo was in another thread already.

Correct only all the other viruses are not pandemic and most don't kill people.

Not interested in your data bull and reaching.so not bothering with the rest of your post.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Not interested in your data bull and reaching.so not bothering with the rest of your post.

Why the hostility?

The thread isn't in the debate section.
It's not proving anyone right or wrong.
It's not biased.

So, I don't know where you getting this from but it isn't needed to make a conversation. That said....

1. What I'm saying is social distancing is more effective than masks for the very fact you're not around the person with whom may be infected. You haven't answered whether distancing is better than masks or not.

Is it? (Someone else on this thread asked the same question)

2. Since this isn't a debate thread, those links do say that there are more than one precautions to avoiding the virus. Not sure if you read any of the CDC and WHO resources, etc. It will give you an idea (hopefully objective) in what's going on and how you can think on you own what's best for your health....

3. That said, you know what is best for you in the last scheme of things. Even though Advil helps headaches, you know whether your body takes Aspirin or any other medication.

4. Wearing masks can be psychological too. It helps with fear whether any one person wants to admit (or sees it) or not. It is fine. Don't read too much into this statement-it is as read.

So, it's alright to be frustrated with other people's opinions but I never said masks where not useful and don't wear it; so, point that frustration somewhere else.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I never said you were wrong (my words-read as is).
I never post to prove you wrong.

If you are 10 feet from someone and you have the virus, sneezing or coughing could infect them, remember, the virus can travel up to 18 metres. However it could also infect anyone passing by within the next hour or so. Think about that

True.

That doesn't exclude the fact social distancing is much more efficient than masks. I'm not sure of anyone who would be around others if they had sneezed anyway. Most people I see are very germ-cautious they move out of the way anyhow.

And how can you guarantee 100%. Note the number of infections and deaths, i would say you are 100% wrong in your guess.

We don't know 100%.

Why say I'm wrong?
Give me a counter argument why social distancing is less effective than masks?

It's not an opinion. Those links (if you read them) say what you are saying AND what I am saying. I just like, to be informed about my opinions even though people challenge them in a thread that wasn't supposed to be for debate.

Sheesh, how many times??? A mask helps reduce the spread of the disease... As can distancing (with limitations)... As can good hygiene (within limitations)... As can avoiding touching your orifices.

I already said this.

Please. please. read my posts.

Given the facts, the distance the virus can be projected and the amount of time it can stay airborne, then it seems pretty obvious that distance is not all you crack it up to be

Of course.

My main concern would be distance, sanitary precautions, then masks.

Also, you mentioned in other posts people aren't thinking of others when they choose not to wear a mask. How do you know if they are around others so close that would put the other person in danger just because "they" don't care for masks?

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The data is from the CDC. If you click the link, you'd see that.

Some viruses kill people if they aren't treated. Others resolve themselves with good hygiene, food, and rest. So far, experts (I won't post any CDC link if you won't read it) say many people get coronavirus symptoms (aka respiratory symptoms) and they resolve on their own.

I'm not sure of those viruses that make patients worse because of pre-existing illnesses. That's probably where a lot of virus-deaths come from. People who are more vulnerable. The virus doesn't present symptoms we have not seen before.

Dave Watchman

Where this virus goes I think depends on the virus itself.

As it continues to mutate, either to a less virulent form, or to a more severe one.

But it's clear to my read today, this one is not going gently into that good night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Here is update from the Romanian.

He has been good thread to read since 1/28.

Dr it seems the whole world is swimming in covid except China and Europe. How long do you think it could last??
Quoting: Anonymous Coward 79070980

I have no idea what is going on in China, no matter what they say.

As for Europe, I would say we got like a month left, more like 3 weeks. It is fairly difficult to predict now how the pandemic will evolve in Europe.

When I predicted that a resurgence of the first wave, or the second wave, to start between mid to end of June, I did for the whole world. I didn't knew where it will happen first, because unlike January, when the world was 100% open to the virus, this time, we are coming after a 2 month long lock-down, after many people realized this is not a joke, and they reduced drastically their exposure to others, they wear masks (which are what we should all do), and such, this time around it will take LONGER before we will feel (not see in numbers) the impact.

Europe was hard hit, and unlike the U.S. there are many more people who wear masks, even if not enough. Many European countries are still keeping hard measures in place, others are in early stages of reopening.

All these reasons are making difficult to predict when Europe will see the second wave (in the Western part of Europe) or the resurgence of the first wave (Central and Eastern Europe).

What is certain is that Europe, just like the U.S., will face multiple epicenters this time. Except New-York, the U.S. was hardly affected in the first time. Basically, the U.S. had one single epicenter. Now, the U.S. have at least 4 of them.

But the U.S. is on the path to double this number, and it will do it quite soon. By mid-July, the U.S. will have around 8 areas that will be similar to Arizona or Texas.

Europe had basically 2 epicenters : Lombardy and Madrid.Next wave (or resurgence) will have more then that, like A LOT many more, and this is because the virus is kinda equally spread across Europe, the time for an epicenter to form will take longer then the U.S., but Europe will have at least 15 epicenters in August.

I think Europe have slightly more time then the U.S. (which was about 4 to 6 weeks after reopening), probably around 8-10 weeks, starting from May 15th, which means that by mid-July, Europe will see multiple epicenters forming.

What I can say with high certainty, is that Madrid and Lombardy will not be among these epicenters in Europe.

The bad news is that once the cold season starts in Europe, the number of epicenters will be so high (the U.S. will also have a lot more epicenters) that almost every area will have or be next to an epicenter.

We should all enjoy this "pause" and use it to prep for winter.

I hope the virus will mutate into a weaker strain, but the current mutations are taking place among the young and healthy, not old and sick, and the virus primary function (to multiply) is drastically affected by the stronger immune system of the young, hence, the current mutations will tend to make the virus BETTER at fighting the stronger immune systems.

We are in an intermediate phase now, many asymptomatic cases, lower ratio of hospitalizations / cases, but that it is because the virus is in the early stages of mutating. Give it one more month, and the virus will fully mutate.

It's what a virus does, before running out of hosts : become BETTER at multiplying, which will lead to asymptomatic cases disappear by the end of year, simply because being better at multiplying means being better at destroying the cells the virus uses to multiply, which means that the hosts will present symptoms...which means we will need more hospital beds and ICU beds.

Last Edited by deplorable recollector on 06/25/2020 11:01 AM

www.godlike.com/forum1/message4250712/reply80763672

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Unveiled Artist

No hostility, i im just not bothered repeating myself to have more strawmen and irrelevance thrown at me.

I'll try to shorten this a bit since I'm not sure if you're reading my posts-at least in an objective sense.

1. I never said you were wrong.
2. I never said that wearing masks was wrong and it doesn't help.
3. I never said that I'm proving you wrong
4. I never said...

What I did say was

1. I agree with you masks help; and, the first line of prevention is distancing
2. I did ask do you agree that distancing is better than masks
3. I also gave you CDC links that says what you AND I said

Your frustration sounds more focused on those who don't wear masks and I'm a scapegoat to it.

Not sure why, though.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I'll try to shorten this a bit since I'm not sure if you're reading my posts-at least in an objective sense.

1. I never said you were wrong.
2. I never said that wearing masks was wrong and it doesn't help.
3. I never said that I'm proving you wrong
4. I never said...

What I did say was

1. I agree with you masks help; and, the first line of prevention is distancing
2. I did ask do you agree that distancing is better than masks
3. I also gave you CDC links that says what you AND I said

Your frustration sounds more focused on those who don't wear masks and I'm a scapegoat to it.

Not sure why, though.

You dont agree with me that the first line of defence is distancing because distancing isn't the first line of defence so please don't make stuff up in my name. I have been through the science with you 4 times on how far the virus can travel and how long it can remain airborne.

And the CDC only applies to 5% of the world population, i take my lead from the WHO.

Dave Watchman

Loads of bad news today on the news forum.

Too much to post.

It could always be worse.

Minsk has a poison water problem.

And many people were poisoned by the bitter water.

Collapse In Minsk: Poisoned Water Appeared In New Districts

Collapse In Minsk: Poisoned Water Appeared In New Districts

Flare-up in Virus Cases Sets Back Germany’s Efforts to Reopen
  • June 25, 2020Updated 4:48 p.m. ET
BERLIN — A spike of more than 1,500 coronavirus infections within days has dealt a sudden blow to Germany’s efforts to reopen the country, calling into question the durability of what had been widely considered a success story in managing the contagion in Europe.

The new clusters have been concentrated in slaughterhouses and crowded, low-income apartment blocks, which have been quarantined, but they are generating increasing concern that the infections could break out and spread among the broader public.

This week, those concerns spurred the authorities in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia to impose lockdowns in two counties — the first since the country’s broader reopening in May — after hundreds of workers at the Tönnies meatpacking plant in Gütersloh county tested positive for the virus. Neighboring Warendorf county, where many plant workers live, was the second county locked down.

The outbreak at the Tönnies slaughterhouse now stands as one the most severe in Europe, outside of Sweden, according to figures gathered by the European Union. Since then, several hundred workers from two other slaughterhouses have been isolated as well.

Hundreds of police and health workers have fanned out over the region during the last week in an effort to find and test all of the Tönnies plant’s 7,000 workers — many of them seasonal laborers from Eastern Europe who were not properly registered with the authorities, raising fears that it might be difficult to contain the outbreaks with a targeted approach.

But the rise in cases is not limited to that area. Nationwide, health authorities registered 630 new infections on Thursday — hundreds more than the daily total just 10 days ago. The Robert Koch Institute, said the number of new cases increased by more than a quarter in much of the country over the past week, spreading rapidly in states that had experienced an outbreak.

Flare-up in Virus Cases Sets Back Germany’s Efforts to Reopen

Cities consider requiring face masks as virus cases surge
By MARGARET STAFFORDJune 25, 2020 GMT

LIBERTY, Mo. (AP) — As coronavirus cases increase across Missouri, city officials are wrestling with how to slow that rise when many residents are resistant to more government restrictions.

In southwest Missouri, where some counties have become hot spots for the virus since Gov. Mike Parson allowed the state to reopen for business on June 16, the discussion has focused on whether to require citizens to wear face masks.

The state health department reported 19,421 coronavirus cases as of Thursday, a 9.5% increase in the last seven days.​

(@DeItaOne)

N.J. VIRUS TRANSMISSION RATE CLIMBS AGAIN, MURPHY SAYS

(@FinancialJuice)

FED'S GEORGE: A RENEWED UPSURGE IN INFECTIONS IS LIKELY TO BE A PERSISTENT RISK UNTIL A VACCINE IS DEVELOPED.

(@caetuscap)

*HOUSTON-AREA INTENSIVE-CARE UNITS REACH MAXIMUM CAPACITY

All new major out breaks are in meat processing plants. Cold environments

Death rates are/were much higher in the northern hemisphere in winter/spring

Outbreaks in air conditioned bars/restaurants.

Coincidence. Nope

Second wave in UK in Oct/nov ?​

Houston’s Covid-19 outbreak is accelerating at an exponential pace that will swamp its medical infrastructure.

Houston Facing ‘Apocalyptic’ July 4 Holiday as Virus Surges

Houston’s Covid-19 outbreak is accelerating at an exponential pace that will swamp the fourth-largest U.S. city’s medical infrastructure by the Independence Day holiday, less than two weeks away, a leading disease specialist warned. Even as Houston-area intensive-care wards approach full capacity, the worst is yet to come because of “the huge amount of transmission going on in our community,”

Current trends in Harris County, which includes Houston, indicate the caseload will triple or quadruple by mid-July, Hotez said, citing modeling by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s PolicyLab.

Such a scenario would be “apocalyptic,” he said. “We can’t go there.”

The trajectory of new cases is “going vertical,” Hotez said. “That’s what epidemic diseases classically do.”

Houston Facing ‘Apocalyptic’ July 4 Holiday as Virus Surges

DES MOINES, Iowa —

The governor extended Iowa’s public health emergency that was set to expire Thursday night. The proclamation has been extended for another 30 days.

Gov. Reynolds extends Iowa's public health emergency proclamation

(@zerohedge)

Texan Oil Companies Forced To Keep Staff Home As Second Wave Hits