• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masks are not enough

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why is is that some, otherwise caring and compassionate people don'tont give a **** if they infect someone else and they die?

They do, just they know social distancing, hand washing, and not going to public condensed places unless needed helps the virus more than masks do. The masks give false sense of security rather than a supplement to social distancing and so forth. People use masks as if they can "fight off" the virus (from a person's point of view rather than what the masks are used for). Some people use masks because of fear-you see different ways people react, anger to finding masks congruent to their fashion and/or political preference and statement.

I don't know about other places, but I rarely see anyone who thinks ill about a masks figure to take one off and get in people's faces to purposely infect people. I mean, opinions are cool, but the emphasis would be on not, being around people (quarantine, for example) more so than masks-for the general public.

Dave Watchman

Evidenced all too well by my glasses from fogging up from the moist breath I exhale.

It's a reason why I stopped wearing mine with exceptions to private establishments that request and require a mask. Like I said from past posts, I read the room now.

I think more and more people everyday however have had enough and are taking the damn things off.

I was early to the mask deal in January.

I never leave home without one.

I started making my own with a hot glue gun, and then graduated to learning the sewing machine for a more flexible seam.

Mine are excellent.

N95+.

If your glasses are fogging, the mask would fail a fit test.

I start with this person's pattern:

Then I made her pattern 1/4 inch larger, which gives me 1/2 inch from nose to chin. (I have a big head).

Then I upgrade the liner material with some non woven polypropylene, the material used for N95s.

You can also find it in some car covers and reusable grocery bags. It looks like there's little holes in the material, but under a microscope criss-crossing fibers can be observed.

Then a behind the neck clip needs to be used. A free one can be bent out of a coat hanger. This gives the added tension which the ears could never supply.

You need to do about ten of them, before you'll get as good as me.

I'm still learning the sewing machine, so it takes me about 45 minutes to do one.

Take a scroll down the worldometer page and look for Czechia.

"When we both wear a mask, I protect you, and you protect me.​

Her case is rested:

I think it would be rude to leave home without one.

Enjoy.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
They do, just they know social distancing, hand washing, and not going to public condensed places unless needed helps the virus more than masks do. The masks give false sense of security rather than a supplement to social distancing and so forth. People use masks as if they can "fight off" the virus (from a person's point of view rather than what the masks are used for). Some people use masks because of fear-you see different ways people react, anger to finding masks congruent to their fashion and/or political preference and statement.

I don't know about other places, but I rarely see anyone who thinks ill about a masks figure to take one off and get in people's faces to purposely infect people. I mean, opinions are cool, but the emphasis would be on not, being around people (quarantine, for example) more so than masks-for the general public.

What people who misunderstand the freely available data is up to them, there is no cure for stupid

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What people who misunderstand the freely available data is up to them, there is no cure for stupid

Why data over situation?

People who can't drive won't need to go by the number of people who have driven and got into accidents because of disability. If people who can't drive know their limits, their informed decision for the well-being of themselves and others would be greater than data.

Data that 80% people have epilepsy means others Will have it too doesn't take into account not everyone would. What about the 20% who don't...

If people aren't in public and/or not being near within 6 feet of a person and other factors, how would a masks help others he or she isn't around?

Kind of like mentioning before about wearing masks in cars and jogging in the middle of nowhere. If there isn't a huge crowd and one can stay away from people, wouldn't that be more effective than masks?

It also depends on where you live. If you personally live in a highly condensed area, it makes sense. If not, it doesn't. Wearing masks in general is fine. It helps.

Unless you're around people, how does the masks help more than say social distancing? (Assuming we're talking about the public rather than being a care taker or any other role that masks are a must).

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why data over situation?

People who can't drive won't need to go by the number of people who have driven and got into accidents because of disability. If people who can't drive know their limits, their informed decision for the well-being of themselves and others would be greater than data.

Data that 80% people have epilepsy means others Will have it too doesn't take into account not everyone would. What about the 20% who don't...

If people aren't in public and/or not being near within 6 feet of a person and other factors, how would a masks help others he or she isn't around?

Kind of like mentioning before about wearing masks in cars and jogging in the middle of nowhere. If there isn't a huge crowd and one can stay away from people, wouldn't that be more effective than masks?

It also depends on where you live. If you personally live in a highly condensed area, it makes sense. If not, it doesn't. Wearing masks in general is fine. It helps.

Unless you're around people, how does the masks help more than say social distancing? (Assuming we're talking about the public rather than being a care taker or any other role that masks are a must).

I am not interested in strawmen, what is under discussion is wearing of masks in public, not while alone on top of mount Everest or driving your car through a desert. And i have been through how far the virus can be projected and how long it can stay airborne. Do you need to hear it again?

Yes, wearing a mask helps to reduce the spread of the virus so why the incessant arguments?

ChristineM

Premium Member
The uks social distancing is 2 metres,maybe Boris had better advisors.

I doubt it, ignoring WHO advice almost certainly does not mean its better advice, it does mean though that he thought he knew better than the world leading experts.

I can't be sure but i would consider the UK 2 metres to more a propaganda exercise to make him and his cronies look good when he reduced it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am not interested in strawmen, what is under discussion is wearing of masks in public, not while alone on top of mount Everest or driving your car through a desert. And i have been through how far the virus can be projected and how long it can stay airborne. Do you need to hear it again?

Yes, wearing a mask helps to reduce the spread of the virus so why the incessant arguments?

Of course it can. No one is saying it does not. No one said they walk around in public without it. That's silly.

I'm saying the mask is not the primary means to fight the virus. Social distancing and hand washing etc does. Unless you are personally in a condensed environment (instead of a forest), it's not the first go to (for the general public).

No one said it doesn't work and not to wear it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why data over situation?

Data is compiled world wide, situation is dependent on local individuals usually with no idea why the need for a mask overrides their personal selfishness (yes there are some on here)

Personally i would prefer tried and tested over joe said he wasn't wearing a mask 'coz the us Constitution says he don't need ta'

ChristineM

Premium Member
Of course it can. No one is saying it does not. No one said they walk around in public without it. That's silly.

I'm saying the mask is not the primary means to fight the virus. Social distancing and hand washing etc does. Unless you are personally in a condensed environment (instead of a forest), it's not the first go to (for the general public).

No one said it doesn't work and not to wear it.

Have you rad these threads? Several people have said they dont wear one, they won't wear one for various reasons including they dont like them and they don't give a **** if they spread infection and kill people.

This pandemic has seriously adjusted my faith in the humanity of some peope

A mask is one means to fight the virus that we all can utilise.

Dave Watchman

They do, just they know social distancing, hand washing, and not going to public condensed places unless needed helps the virus more than masks do. The masks give false sense of security rather than a supplement to social distancing and so forth. People use masks as if they can "fight off" the virus (from a person's point of view rather than what the masks are used for).

Based on my read to date, 6 feet just isn't going to do it.

The primary means of infection is person to person via our aerosolized respiratory droplets. Transmission by inhalation.

The heavier droplets fall to the floor and flat surfaces. But the lighter particulate can remain in the air for hours. There is an Italian study that found SARS-CoV-2 in the particulate matter of a cities air.

Next concern is the viral load. A mask, even an ill fitting one, WILL reduce the amount of virus that can enter your system.

It has been shown that the amount of virus we come into contact with may determine the severity of illness.

We may be able to inhale a small viral load, and not get ill at all.

Any mask is better than nothing.

If I was working on a covid ward, I'd make mine with two layers of non woven polypropylene.

And don't get me started on the fecal matter mode of transmission.

There was an entire apartment floor of people who became infected with sars covid due to the poor venting design of the building's plumbing.

Those people were inside their own apartments, further apart than 6 feet.

Each block at Amoy Gardens has eight vertical soil stacks each collecting effluent from the same unit of all floors. The soil stack is connected with the water closets, the basins, the bath tubs, and the bathroom floor drains. Each of these sanitary fixtures is fitted with a U shaped water trap (U trap) to prevent foul smell and insects in the soil stack from entering the toilets. For this preventive mechanism to function properly, the water traps must be sufficiently filled with water. However, as most households had the habit of cleaning the bathroom floor by mopping instead of flushing it with water, the U traps connected to most floor drains would probably have been dry and would not have been functioning properly (fig 2).

Floor drains at Amoy Gardens.
" data-icon-position="" data-hide-link-title="0" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(42, 110, 187); box-shadow: none;border: 0px; background-color: transparent;">

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

We have elucidated the transmission pathways of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) by analyzing the trend and mitigation measures in the three epicenters. Our results show that the airborne transmission route is highly virulent and dominant for the spread of COVID-19.

The mitigation measures are discernible from the trends of the pandemic. Our analysis reveals that the difference with and without mandated face covering represents the determinant in shaping the trends of the pandemic.

This protective measure significantly reduces the number of infections. Other mitigation measures, such as social distancing implemented in the United States, are insufficient by themselves in protecting the public. Our work also highlights the necessity that sound science is essential in decision-making for the current and future public health pandemics.

Identifying airborne transmission as the dominant route for the spread of COVID-19

I hope this helps.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and working in a factory with overhead fans that REALLY work....!!!!!

talk about stirring the pot

Thief

Rogue Theologian
just last night the foreman came around and gave notice
too many people not wearing the mask as they should

now they want to write people up

but hey.....I'm a good boy

Thief

Rogue Theologian
the mask is not enough
I agree

we do these discussions.....with our EYES wide open

duh

Dave Watchman

and working in a factory with overhead fans that REALLY work....!!!!!

Why?

What does that do?

I would rather let the dust settle.

Don't stir it up.

All the bad stuff is at the floor level.

Did you ever see the videos of the Chinese wearing hazmat suits spraying the streets of the city?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why?

What does that do?

I would rather let the dust settle.

Don't stir it up.

All the bad stuff is at the floor level.

Did you ever see the videos of the Chinese wearing hazmat suits spraying the streets of the city?
yep.....
but the factory is hot hot hot
and the people just looooove to complain

one unguarded sneeze and blooey!....
the whole place is covered

Dave Watchman

yep.....
but the factory is hot hot hot
and the people just looooove to complain

one unguarded sneeze and blooey!....
the whole place is covered

It could always be worse.

Be thankful we don't work in a meat processing plant.

Those places are Covid-9 hot spots all around the world.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Until then, I'll have mine well done.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Have you rad these threads? Several people have said they dont wear one, they won't wear one for various reasons including they dont like them and they don't give a **** if they spread infection and kill people.

This pandemic has seriously adjusted my faith in the humanity of some peope

A mask is one means to fight the virus that we all can utilise.

I'm speaking of the level of safety compared to other forms of protection.

I don't remember anyone saying they don't. I'd have to re-read. For me, social distancing and sanitary measures helps others and myself more than masks.

I can see it if they are up in people's faces but masks in general, it only helps in specific situations and environments.

I'm sure you understand distance works better than masks?

Dave Watchman

cmicsfee.gif

Thank you for your candor.

:)