• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masculinity

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As i understand it its still testosterone.
May be. But there are a gazillion hits on the internet like this which proves to me that women can be as strong and forceful as men but typically not in a macho way.

If-Mam-Aint-Happy-Aint-Nobody-Happy-If-Grandma-Aint-Happy-Run-Shirt

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
How about masculinity being able to successfully managing your male hormones, whereas femininity is being able to successfully manage your female hormones?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
PMS is loads of fun.
I'm glad my transition isnt tinted with rose glasses, and I still wonder why, with periods and PMS among other things, anyone would want to be a woman. Because I have discovered PMS, though I didn't think I could, amd I dont think there are times when Im in less control than whem my hormones are on the handle, flying off the handle, and shattering the handle all at once (especially when it coincided with a manic episode, which is likely the worst I have ever been as a human being).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm glad my transition isnt tinted with rose glasses, and I still wonder why, with periods and PMS among other things, anyone would want to be a woman. Because I have discovered PMS, though I didn't think I could, amd I dont think there are times when Im in less control than whem my hormones are on the handle, flying off the handle, and shattering the handle all at once (especially when it coincided with a manic episode, which is likely the worst I have ever been as a human being).

Would you say that PMS is worse than unanswered gender dysphoria? Just wondered.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Would you say that PMS is worse than unanswered gender dysphoria? Just wondered.
Gender dysphoria is worse. Although, I'm typically good at realizing my emotional state, and catching myself before I act (I had a close call with violently impulsive self defense once). Except the time the PMS and mania happened at the same time, then that was way worse, because everything pissed me off, everything irritated me, I knew I was bad but I didn't how bad until my mom told me she couldn't even stand being around me, then it just became embarrassing.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Gender dysphoria is worse. Although, I'm typically good at realizing my emotional state, and catching myself before I act (I had a close call with violently impulsive self defense once). Except the time the PMS and mania happened at the same time, then that was way worse, because everything pissed me off, everything irritated me, I knew I was bad but I didn't how bad until my mom told me she couldn't even stand being around me, then it just became embarrassing.
I used to try to slog through Nagarjuna's Mula madhyamaka karika (Two Truths Doctrine) while I was having PMS. I dare you to try it! :smilingimp:
Nagarjuna's Mula madhyamaka karika

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How about masculinity being able to successfully managing your male hormones, whereas femininity is being able to successfully manage your female hormones?

I couldn't honestly speak to the feminine part of that equation, but there is something to be said for the masculine aspect of what you say.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Some stuff:
Germans always say Americans sound American when we speak German. It isn't a generalized term for native English speaker, it is specifically American (I havent gotten to ask any of them if they could be a bit more specific in this ad to whether or not it is only Americans or if they just say the nation of the person they're speaking to).

I can give you a little more on this in an academic sense, actually. I lectured in language development for a very short amount of time.

Children develop various sounds and sound blends as they learn their native language. This occurs over time (buggered if I remember to when, but let's say 6 years old, roughly).

From that time forwards, we don't really learn new sounds and blends. Instead, we take those we know and apply them as closely as we are able to any new sounds or blends we need to make.

So an American (call them a native of Indiana) will apply those sounds and blends to German. It gives people from the same area some commonality in their accents when speaking a foreign language.

Simplest way to think is to consider Asians learning English as adults versus Southern Europeans. Each has some particular style and stereotypical accents, it's because they are using sounds and blends from their native language to speak English, but whilst there is overlap in the sounds and blends between all languages, there are also distinct sounds.

The less distinct sounds between 2 languages, the closer to native sounding an adult learner could become.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So an American (call them a native of Indiana) will apply those sounds and blends to German.
Canadians and several European countries grow up speaking English as a native language. The Germans don't say you sound like an English speaker, but specifically you sound like an American. With that, it leads to me suspect it's something more than just English. But, as I mentioned, I haven't had a chance to ask them about it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Canadians and several European countries grow up speaking English as a native language. The Germans don't say you sound like an English speaker, but specifically you sound like an American. With that, it leads to me suspect it's something more than just English. But, as I mentioned, I haven't had a chance to ask them about it.

Just think of it from an English point of view, though.
Do you form your words the same as a Canadian? How do you pronounce 'about' versus them?

You both speak English, as do I, as does a Geordie (sort of...lol) but none of us form the sounds the same.

There can be other factors. I know a lot of Swedes, and when they've been taught English some are clearly taught American English, whilst others are taught British English. Perhaps the German taught in the US has some natural variance (like learning Spanish in Mexico results in nore than just accent differences from learning in Spain).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Do you form your words the same as a Canadian? How do you pronounce 'about' versus them?

You both speak English, as do I, as does a Geordie (sort of...lol) but none of us form the sounds the same.
A big part of this is word choice and order when speaking in German.

Electra

to me, simply, masculinity is to push/extend (imagine your 'energies pushing something foreward or away) and femininity is to pull/retreat (bringing qualities into you, attracting attentions towards you) , each has there own experiences to what that means