• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masculinity

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To be honest, I have some problems wrapping my head around what masculinity is. When people mention getting in touch with their femininity, I often picture them focusing on health, beauty, and being refined. But some people mention masculinity like it's a positive thing that takes work. But that doesn't really compute well in my mind, as I see masculinity as not overgrooming to the point you look feminine, and having such a closed mind you really can't open your mind to the possibility that you may have some feminine features and qualities. I don't know.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I quit trying to puzzle out what masculinity is decades ago. If there is any answer to the question, it's above my pay grade. I just try to be me.*

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no time or interest in such stereotypical trivialities. I do what I do. I am what I am. If someone perceives my personality or behaviors as masculine or feminine, bully for them. I have no need or desire for such perceptions.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have no time or interest in such stereotypical trivialities. I do what I do. I am what I am. If someone perceives my personality or behaviors as masculine or feminine, bully for them. I have no need or desire for such perceptions.

The subject comes up often on a few niche social sites. But I'm starting to think if I, Sunstone, and you don't have a ready, concrete definition already formed on such a subject, that the people who bring it up on those sites probably don't, either.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To be honest, I have some problems wrapping my head around what masculinity is. When people mention getting in touch with their femininity, I often picture them focusing on health, beauty, and being refined. But some people mention masculinity like it's a positive thing that takes work. But that doesn't really compute well in my mind, as I see masculinity as not overgrooming to the point you look feminine, and having such a closed mind you really can't open your mind to the possibility that you may have some feminine features and qualities. I don't know.

My grandfather could have given you a ready definition, I'd say.
And that definition does include a lot of attributes I'd generally see as 'negative' in a modern context.

But his definition...at least...would include being a protector, provider and in a lot of ways a constant in a world that had plenty of curve balls including the Great Depression, War, etc.

My issues with how we often define masculinity is more that it's rooted in tradition, than in seeing it as simply negative.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Masculine is wearing eyeliner, waxing everywhere, wearing a wig and a skirt, drinking wine and having solid gold everything.

At least, in Ancient Egypt.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The interplay between genes, brain anatomy and culture surely means that differences cannot be definitely causally attributed; however such differences may be labelled.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Out of the top of my head, I can think of some words associated with masculinity: strength, courage, resilience, breadwinner and leadership.

Hellbound Serpiente

Rocky Balboa and plenty of other fictional characters as well as real life individuals are perfect representative of masculinity. Masculine is selflessness, loyalty, courage, righteousness, leadership, devotion and dedication, charitableness, generosity, persistence, patience, forbearance, sacrificing, humility, bravery among numerous of other virtues. Masculine is taking the lead no matter what the situation is, mastering your fears and panic no matter what trials awaits, taking responsibility and volunteering to face any crisis for the sake of weak and oppressed. Masculinity staying true to truth and justice even if it kills you. Doing good no matter how hard things get.

I can say some more but I think this suffices for now.

Last edited: