• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marketability of Your Religion Based On Your RF Contributions

libre

Skylark
Marketing atheism is not a concern of mine, but I'd like to think that I would be a better representative for atheism than the 'new' type of atheism that concerns itself mostly with what is against instead of what it is for.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
RF is read not only by the denizens who participate, but by lurkers and guests who do not.

Based on your contributions on RF, how well do you think you represent your religion or belief system (or your atheism) to an outside seeker who is deciding what religion to follow or deciding to leave their religion for atheism?

Do you feel the way you discuss or debate your beliefs and your behavior in threads would attract a seeker to your religion, your spirituality, or your secular views?

Do you set an example for your religion? If so, how?

Without naming names, do you feel an aversion to a religion/form of spirituality/secular worldview not based on the dogma associated with it, but by how a person or people of that group here on RF carry themselves or represent their views?

If anyone follows my example then i pity them. I set an example for me, just because i happen to be atheist so i don't believe in god. Anything apart from that is just me.

There are one or few who are terrible at putting their religion foreword, my children burning in hell because I'm an atheist sickens me that that is what they believe their religion is about.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
People can take up Taoism but they can't take up my faith because it's very personalized to me, my individual circumstance, and how I uniquely fit into my society and world. So I'm not really concerned with trying to set an example.

So I guess for anyone who might be silently observing wondering what I'm about, here's that super corny apocryphal quote possibly from Albert Camus:
Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead.
Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
RF is read not only by the denizens who participate, but by lurkers and guests who do not.

Based on your contributions on RF, how well do you think you represent your religion or belief system (or your atheism) to an outside seeker who is deciding what religion to follow or deciding to leave their religion for atheism?

Do you feel the way you discuss or debate your beliefs and your behavior in threads would attract a seeker to your religion, your spirituality, or your secular views?

Without naming names, do you feel an aversion to a religion/form of spirituality/secular worldview not based on the dogma associated with it, but by how a person or people of that group here on RF carry themselves or represent their views?
Its a very good question. I personally enjoy the opportunity to discuss and debate religion with a diverse group. In that sense I'm like everyone else here.

We all bring our unique perspective and set of experiences to the group. I try to be fair and balanced in my contributions. As a member of a recognized religion (Bahai) I do feel a responsibility to represent my faith. That said, for the better part of my time, I'm here to learn though on occasion I will provide a Bahai perspective or consider my experience growing up Christian.

Sometimes I read the posts of my fellow Bahai and will think about whether or not it could have been expressed better. I'm sure my fellow Baha'is have the same experience with my posts. The thing is we're all on a journey trying to get by in the world and hopefully become better human beings. Getting too judgemental of others usually doesn't help.

I don't focus too much on marketing myself or my faith. I do hear a lot of criticism about the Bahai faith here. Like Christianity and Islam we hold particular beliefs that will inevitably attract negative attention.

RestlessSoul

People can take up Taoism but they can't take up my faith because it's very personalized to me, my individual circumstance, and how I uniquely fit into my society and world. So I'm not really concerned with trying to set an example.

So I guess for anyone who might be silently observing wondering what I'm about, here's that super corny apocryphal quote possibly from Albert Camus:
Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead.
Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

That’s a great quote. Can’t imagine Camus ever saying it, he was a bit of a misanthrope. I’ll be sure to steal it though, thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
LOL I am Catholic. But see what I mean? Since I don't use RF as a tool of any type, and am here basically for the entertainment, does it even matter?
I think there are a lot of people here who rarely talk about their personal faith, and a ton more who only do it in DIRs. But yes, there are others who wear it on their sleeves.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I think there are a lot of people here who rarely talk about their personal faith, and a ton more who only do it in DIRs. But yes, there are others who wear it on their sleeves.
I certainly do.

s-l400.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If anyone follows my example then i pity them. I set an example for me, just because i happen to be atheist so i don't believe in god. Anything apart from that is just me.

There are one or few who are terrible at putting their religion foreword, my children burning in hell because I'm an atheist sickens me that that is what they believe their religion is about.
FWIW, I think you represent the tolerant fun atheist really well, certainly a lot better than Revoltingest.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Mine is tattooed on my shoulder, but it's rare that anyone sees it.
If I'm being transparent, I don't really own that shirt. It was meant to be a play on "wear it on their sleeves."

I don't any clothing with any Hindu symbols on it, and the only piece of jewelry I have is an ॐ pendant that hangs from my rear view mirror.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

I can only hope I'm able to express myself well enough for readers to be inspired to investigate and think for themselves. I've been unable to find a "religion" that I can follow, so I have nothing to represent other than a positive view of individuality in beliefs and worship. . .freedom of spirituality.