• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark of the Beast

InChrist

Free4ever
If you've seen many other Christians get their interpretations of prophecy wrong over and over, it should give you pause not to put much stock in whatever the newest version of prophecy interpretation is. Jesus famously said no one knows the day or the hour and it will come like a thief in the night. One would think that is pretty clear: when it happens you're not gonna expect it. So rather than put energy into a fool's errand, it makes more sense to focus on what we can control and be sure about, such as how we treat others.
I’ve seen Christians get a lot of things wrong over the years, that doesn’t mean I’m going to reject or ignore Jesus and the Bible. The prophetic scriptures are included for a reason, therefore I don’t think it’s foolish to pay attention to them. Definitely, it’s foolish and contrary to the words of Christ when someone claims to know a date; showing themself to be a false teacher. Nevertheless, I think the scriptures are given to provide awareness of the season and we can see the Day approaching.

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 9:24-25

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve seen Christians get a lot of things wrong over the years, that doesn’t mean I’m going to reject or ignore Jesus and the Bible.

I didn't say to ignore Jesus or the Bible. I said to ignore silly modern interpretations of Jesus and the Bible.

The prophetic scriptures are included for a reason, therefore I don’t think it’s foolish to pay attention to them. Definitely, it’s foolish and contrary to the words of Christ when someone claims to know a date; showing themself to be a false teacher. Nevertheless, I think the scriptures are given to provide awareness of the season and we can see the Day approaching.

And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 9:24-25

Read the very words you just quoted: in order to stir up love and good works. Isn't that what I just encouraged? That is what's paramount.

First century Christians thought "the Day" could happen any time, even within their lifetimes. The point made repeatedly by Jesus and the Apostles in the New Testament is for us to always be ready by living righteously.

"Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Matthew 24:44

"But as to the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves know well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. When people say, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as travail comes upon a woman with child, and there will be no escape. But you are not in darkness, brethren, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all sons of light and sons of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. But, since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we wake or sleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It is generally believed amongst many theologians
That is no small thing, and I respect that. And I am wrong a lot. There is a lot of knowledge out there they they have surveyed which I have never even heard of. I also appreciate you letting me know that its in present tense, even though the significance of that is probably lost on me. I'll keep it in my hat like a note. I don't understand why I am wrong...why present tense is the end of it. I am aware (through theologians) of the playful use of tenses in prophet poetry (which I don't understand but know it exists). I wonder why might this not also be the case in Revelation which contains visions?

Also I don't feel convinced that the timeline of the church is truly the chronology that has happened: Jesus...then 30 years....then temple falls. I don't see why I should be trusted with real knowledge or why anyone would entrust me with the true timeline. I feel perhaps in a history that the order is different from what I am told in the gospels: first the temple falls and Jerusalem is destroyed and out of it comes stories about Jesus. I don't believe the standard timeline, and I don't feel convinced that theologians are free to say whatever they like even rocket jockeys. Its not that I don't trust anyone, but I don't. They don't trust me, so why would they tell me the truth?

InChrist

Free4ever
I didn't say to ignore Jesus or the Bible. I said to ignore silly modern interpretations of Jesus and the Bible.

Read the very words you just quoted: in order to stir up love and good works. Isn't that what I just encouraged? That is what's paramount.

First century Christians thought "the Day" could happen any time, even within their lifetimes. The point made repeatedly by Jesus and the Apostles in the New Testament is for us to always be ready by living righteously.

"Therefore you also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Matthew 24:44

"But as to the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves know well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. When people say, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as travail comes upon a woman with child, and there will be no escape. But you are not in darkness, brethren, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all sons of light and sons of the day; we are not of the night or of darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. But, since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we wake or sleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11
Thank you for the passages you included in your post. I certainly agree with them and your thoughts concerning the encouragement of love and good work. I also do agree that wacky, interpretations concerning the last days should be ignored. But they are not all silly or wacky. The fact that the scriptures prophesied the restoration of Israel and I saw this fulfilled in my lifetime is not wacky, it’s important. Overall, I don’t think I have much of an argument with you. I don’t think being aware of prophecy, with discernment, nor watching it unfold before our eyes should distract or take precedence over living a Christlike life of love and service to others.

Wandering Monk

The seven year trib has already happened from 66 to 73 AD.

The revolt against Rome started in 66; the Temple was destroyed in 70, three and a half years after the beginning of the Revolt. The last Jewish resistance was snuffed out in 73 at Massada.

InChrist

Free4ever
The seven year trib has already happened from 66 to 73 AD.

The revolt against Rome started in 66; the Temple was destroyed in 70, three and a half years after the beginning of the Revolt. The last Jewish resistance was snuffed out in 73 at Massada.
I realize some see it that way. The destruction of the temple in 70 AD and the revolt against Rome from 66 to 70 AD was a type of foreshadow in my view, but I don’t think it makes any possible sense to consider that time the 7-year Great Tribulation which occurs at the end of the age.

Jesus said …
…For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened.
Matthew 24:21-22

The book of Revelation clearly reveals the global impact of the Seal, Trumpet, and Bowl judgment, as opposed to the localized revolt in Jerusalem in 70 AD.

First Trumpet: Vegetation Struck​

The first angel sounded: And hail and fire followed, mingled with blood, and they were thrown to the earth. And a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up.

Second Trumpet: The Seas Struck​

8 Then the second angel sounded: And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood. 9 And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Third Trumpet: The Waters Struck​

10 Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. Rev. 8:7-20

I looked, and I heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, “Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!”
Rev. 8:13

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for the passages you included in your post. I certainly agree with them and your thoughts concerning the encouragement of love and good work. I also do agree that wacky, interpretations concerning the last days should be ignored. But they are not all silly or wacky.

I will argue with you about dispensationalism another day. Take care. ;)

Yokefellow

What exactly is the thing that is the mark? A tattoo? A microchip? A bracelet or headband?

I noticed there is a lot of joking around in this thread. I have no idea if you or anyone else cares, but the answer has always been in the Bible...

Daniel 2:43
"And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay."

No need to 'update interpretations'. The text is clear.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Seems there could be a mistake in the bible...
main-qimg-e348627c3679888981fc1037d80efba8-lq.jpeg

The story i heard (right or wrong) a scribe was copying a bible and saw 616 and thought 'no, that can't be right' and it's been 666 ever since.

Another story from Moscow. Passengers complained about the numbering of the 666 bus route so the transport authority changed it to 616, from that time the bus was plagued by accidents.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
there is little doubt that artificial intelligence (AI) will play a major part in fulfilling Antichrist’s ability to, for a time, control almost all of the world’s population. That swiftly developing technology will, without a doubt, be used to control who eats and who doesn’t.”
How so?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Bill Gates and Microsoft are spending billions in order to 1). inject everyone one earth with some kind of a ‘vaccination’ shot

Yeah. For the purpose of eradicating "some kind of" horrible deseases.
How evil they are.

, 2). create a device for buying and selling currency that’s run on the human body as it’s battery, and 3). attach both those things to a digital identification from ID2020whom they also fund. Please note that zero amount of what is said within this paragraph is speculation of any kind, click the links, it’s happening now.”

I love how these fundy sites skew and misrepresent everything just to suite their doomsday agenda.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
10 Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. Rev. 8:7-20
Nonsense like this inform us on how ignorant of the world the people that wrote this down were.
A star 'falling' on a third of anything on this planet is beyond ridiculous. It's in the category of "not even wrong".

You'ld think that the creator of the universe would know what stars are..............................

I looked, and I heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, “Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!”
Rev. 8:13
You watch to many movies dude.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I remember this being a thing back in the 1970's among evangelicals. I think it was credit cards. Then I heard it was a tattoo for some identification. Is it still a thing among evangelicals? I suggest a MGA hat is a pretty good sign of evil.
Thankfully it's really obvious from far away, so we can steer clear. ;)

Little Dragon

To most believers who have deeply considered this future time Jesus said will be the worst of all human history (Matthew 24:21), there is little doubt that artificial intelligence (AI) will play a major part in fulfilling Antichrist’s ability to, for a time, control almost all of the world’s population. That swiftly developing technology will, without a doubt, be used to control who eats and who doesn’t.”
Luddite alarmist gibber jabber. What is it with theists and technological progress? I know you guys are natural conservatives, but honestly, this is just infantile fear mongering. AI is also being used to detect deadly cancers early on, before human doctors can. Every time technology advances, these rather silly ideas spill out again, from those that, in fact, will stand to benefit from it.

Stop equating scientific and technological advances with your absurd devils and demons. Please.

Little Dragon

I do think it will be required across all socioeconomic lines, though.
It wouldn't happen. Humans would simply use a barter system or a non fiat currency, like silver or gold or AA batteries, whatever, in order to circumnavigate a purely digital monetary system. That's what I would do anyway. A huge "black" market would suddenly be born into existence.