• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Man was created in the image of G-d'

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Lol. Of course John is not in the Septuagints. Jews may want you to call it Tanakh but what if the OT has more books than the Tanakh? I dont mean to offend Jews because I know for them the scripture is much more divine and they revere it. All due respect given. Some Old Testaments have 75 books. Some 73 and others 66.

Edit: Of course, as most agree this is after what went on in Turkey with Constantine.
Peace.

If you don't wish to call it Tanakh, then perhaps you could use Hebrew Bible, or some such - as "Old Testament" is incorrect, and an insult to them.

Clear

Premium Member
Firedragon said in post # 395 : “But the New Testament uses οτι ειπα θεοι, I said Gods. Theoi, which means Small Gods.”

Clear
said in post # 396 : “Just a small point however, there is no diminutive in "ειπα θεοι" in greek.”

Firedragon
said in post # 399 : “In Greek when you dont have a diminutive or a definitive, it means generic. As in a nature. e.g. Sofos and Ho Sofos (ο Σοφός). Wise and the Wise. When you say he is wise it is generic, you are giving a nature of wisdom to a person. But when you say he is "The" Wise, it means he is the only wise person. Hope that makes sense. When you say he is "a" wise person, it is a reference. But English cant always be interpreted in the same way. A mother, the mother and motherly it will be then (ton mithera, ho mithera and mithrikos).”

Firedragon, By telling you in post # 396 that there was no diminutive in your greek in # 395, I was trying to discretely correct your greek of post #395 without being crass or embarrassing you. However, you did not understand my hint.

1) You said in # 395 Theoi “means Small Gods.”, It does not. It simply means “Gods”, not “Small Gods”. You must either add the actual greek word “small” or a “diminutive” to create the "sentence" “Small Gods”.

2) In your explanation in # 396, you are confused regarding what a “diminutive” is. You said : “In Greek when you dont have a diminutive or a definitive, it means generic.” You are, I think, trying to discuss the greek “Article” (or definite article) since that is what you are actually describing (you are not describing a diminutive).

3) In your further explanation of how the greek article works in # 396, you then give us an incorrect example of very basic greek : You translated “A mother, the mother and motherly “ as “ton mithera, ho mithera and mithrikos”. This is also incorrect. You are trying to use a masculine article with a feminine noun. Greek doesn’t do this, but rather you must use a feminine article with a feminine noun and a masculine article with a masculine noun (just as one would in german, or spanish).

The greek you used was incorrect but I truly and honestly liked the points you made.

Good luck on your journey Firedragon.

Clear
φισεσισεω

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If you don't wish to call it Tanakh, then perhaps you could use Hebrew Bible, or some such - as "Old Testament" is incorrect, and an insult to them.

That's ridiculous. Judaism does not even use the OT in the same manner as the Christians, and ''Tanach'', is referring to a text therefore that is not actually ''the same'', /in usage/, as the Christians. So, rather to the contrary, it makes no sense for Christians to use terms used by Judaism, when Judaism, has a purpose for those terms ie separating /Torah/ from Tanach/ in inference, whereas Xianity does not do that, hence the 'OT'.