• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Man Unleashes Profanity-Filled Tirade Against Peaceful Satanists in MN Park"

Good-Ole-Rebel

There were many reasons for my departure. No evidence for any deities, much less Yahweh. The Bible was taken from previous myth, and has contradictions, outdated info, horrible violence and patriarchy. The religion doesn't make anyone act any better than anyone else and sometimes they act worse. I like Jesus as one of my role models though. I have heard it said that the Bible tells us all we need to know, so if that's it, I can't take it as "gospel" truth.

Very well.

But...how can you see Jesus as a role model when you don't believe He existed. In other words, if you can't trust the Bible, why do you believe the things about Jesus you believe?

Good-Ole-Rebel

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Trust what other people tell you, don't believe in your own heart and mind." That's what you're saying
Incorrect. That’s not what I’m saying at all.

Biblical exegesis isn’t a matter of spirituality, it’s a matter of scholarship. It’s not a matter of faith, it’s a matter of hermeneutics.

Scholarship and hermeneutics aren’t a matter of dogma; they’re a matter of factual discovery and informed conjecture. No exegete would, in his right mind, declare that the Bible was authored by God. He might opine that the writers thought God was guiding them, but he would not translate that opinion regarding their theological position into some ontological certainty regarding the nature of the texts.

Rebel is doing just that, without any factual basis for such. He’s basing an ontological statement purely in his belief. It colors his interpretations of the texts. That’s why I suggested he learn how to employ the exegetical process.

sojourner

Very well.

But...how can you see Jesus as a role model when you don't believe He existed. In other words, if you can't trust the Bible, why do you believe the things about Jesus you believe?

Good-Ole-Rebel
People use Captain Kirk as a role model, and he never existed. They trust the attributes he portrays.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Very well.

Good-Ole-Rebel

He may or may not have existed, however, some of the words attributed to him are wonderful. Others are not, but one can separate the good from the bad. I don't distrust all of the Bible, just the supernatural things. Religious myth are stories in order to glean higher truths about people and the world, not something to pretend actually happened.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You explained nothing.

Good-Ole-Rebel
That is not true. And I offered multiple times to do so again if you properly quoted and linked the verses that you used. You would not do this. By your poor standards you were refuted. If you do not need to properly support your so called "proof" I do not need to do any more than to point out your errors to refute them. There are reasons that one is supposed to quote and link sources.

Good-Ole-Rebel

He may or may not have existed, however, some of the words attributed to him are wonderful. Others are not, but one can separate the good from the bad. I don't distrust all of the Bible, just the supernatural things. Religious myth are stories in order to glean higher truths about people and the world, not something to pretend actually happened.

So, really, you are not following anyone but you. You believe what you want.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
So, really, you are not following anyone but you. You believe what you want.

Good-Ole-Rebel

No valid extrabiblical sources are a pretty good indicator that it is not fact. The thing is that it was never meant to reflect history. The inerrant view of the bible is less than 100 years old. Fundamentalism does a great disservice to Christianity and makes it a laughingstock. I think that the mainstream Christians are trying to take it back from the crazies though. I hope they succeed before the religion declines any further.

dfnj

… You guys come down to our ****ing park, and you put your ****ing Satan… Satan Bull-****ing-**** in our ****ing veteran park… You need to get the **** outta here!… I’ll turn you ****ing down! I’ll turn your ****ing life down!… You guys are in the wrong ****ing place!… I don’t want my kids over here looking at you raising your ****ing flags, wearing your ****ing Devil ****ing costumes….
I think this is a classic case of you only hate and criticize in others what you do not like about your own character. I'm sure the way to get evil out of your life is by being more evil than anything evil around you.

If we have faith in an omnipotent God of unconditional love, then this means, we cannot judge others. To be like what we hold most dear, then unconditional means no conditions. And we must love and accept other people exactly the way they are even though we do not agree with them or fully appreciate their way of being. And by doing so, hopefully the golden rule, extending respect to others in the hope is is reciprocated, will become more than just lip service by people pretending to believe religion is important.

dfnj

You may think so, but ultimately Jesus Christ has the final say on who is a Christian.

I heard this quote which came into my head after reading your post. "There is only one true Christian and he died on the cross."

dfnj

And why would you speculate the guy is a Christian???

You make a very good point. The guy could have been Zen Buddhist but I doubt it.

Regardless of his particular view on which religions are acceptable and which ones are not. I think this speech on the importance of having religious freedoms and separation of church and state by Bill Cooper is amazingly well-said. It's like 10 minutes long so hopefully you twitter generation type people can handle it. I'm not the biggest fan of Bill Cooper, and although he's most famous for accurately predicting 9/11, I still think this speech is very good:

If you are adverse to watching video here is the twitter version. Freedom is what unites us. When you don't respect and let other people practice their own religion you will eventually or inevitably be persecuted over your own religion. This country was founded on the idea there is not one particular form of Christianity that is superior to all the others.

More than 145 characters but eff twitter!!!

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think this is a classic case of you only hate and criticize in others what you do not like about your own character. I'm sure the way to get evil out of your life is by being more evil than anything evil around you.

hearty-laugh.gif
You funny guy, But go ahead and believe whatever you like about me. Mox nix.

Good-Ole-Rebel

No valid extrabiblical sources are a pretty good indicator that it is not fact. The thing is that it was never meant to reflect history. The inerrant view of the bible is less than 100 years old. Fundamentalism does a great disservice to Christianity and makes it a laughingstock. I think that the mainstream Christians are trying to take it back from the crazies though. I hope they succeed before the religion declines any further.

The Bible was not written as a history book. That is true. Nor was it written as a science book. It's purpose is the redemption of man. It shows the way to redemption and provides for redeemed man. But when it touches on areas of history and science, which it does, it is accurate.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

Unless there is a mandated religion, that's pretty much what everybody does.

Well, if there is God, and there is, and God has provided only one way to be redeemed, and that one way is Jesus Christ as showed us in the Bible, then man cannot just believe what he wants. I mean you can, but it doesn't provide redemption.

So, if the Jesus you follow is nothing but a Gandhi type, then you are not following Jesus as described in the Bible. Thus no redemption.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Bible was not written as a history book. That is true. Nor was it written as a science book. It's purpose is the redemption of man. It shows the way to redemption and provides for redeemed man. But when it touches on areas of history and science, which it does, it is accurate.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Only if you believe that God lies.

Some of the scientific errors of the Bible do not take all of that much education to appreciate. Even a middle school student can understand why there was no Flood of Noah.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
You mean "Accurate" like when it says rabbits and hares chew cud.

Lev. 11:6
The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you.

Or that locusts/grasshoppers walk on all fours.

Leviticus 11:20-23
“‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.

Or that the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds

Matthew 13:31-32
31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”

Or that bats are birds

Leviticus 11: 13-16
13 “‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, . . . 19 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.

ALL INACCURACIES

Rabbits and hares DO NOT chew cud
locusts/grasshoppers DO NOT walk on all fours
The mustard seed is NOT the smallest of all seeds
Bats are NOT birds

Last edited:

sojourner

You make a very good point. The guy could have been Zen Buddhist but I doubt it.

Regardless of his particular view on which religions are acceptable and which ones are not. I think this speech on the importance of having religious freedoms and separation of church and state by Bill Cooper is amazingly well-said. It's like 10 minutes long so hopefully you twitter generation type people can handle it. I'm not the biggest fan of Bill Cooper, and although he's most famous for accurately predicting 9/11, I still think this speech is very good:

If you are adverse to watching video here is the twitter version. Freedom is what unites us. When you don't respect and let other people practice their own religion you will eventually or inevitably be persecuted over your own religion. This country was founded on the idea there is not one particular form of Christianity that is superior to all the others.

More than 145 characters but eff twitter!!!
“First they came...” — Martin Niemoller